BREXIT or No Brexit ~ Friends or No Friends

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think in many cases it's not really about Brexit or no Brexit or which version of Brexit.

It's about valid arguments, bs arguments, wishful thinking, denial of reality, etc.

Let's look for a moment to the USA. Why do people accept a president who lies all the time and obstructs justice? That should not be a question of politics. It's just a question of right or wrong. And lying constantly and obstructing justice is definitely wrong.

Back to the UK. People were promised lots of money for the NHS? Was that realistic? No. People were promised they will have lots of advantages being outside of the EU and the EU will do everything to keep the UK as a partner. Really?

By now it's obvious that lots of promises were best case unrealistic and often lies.

If someone promises us a job with wonderful working conditions and a big salary and we say yes does that mean we still have to work for less money and in bad conditions? No. We (should) have the choice to think again knowing the real conditions.

Who of the leavers can say he/she were informed correctly? Many made their decisions based on lies. But now somehow they find it hard to admit that they made a decision based on wrong information. So why do many not accept a referendum based on correct information and based on real options, not fantasy?

I don't like to spend my time with people who are ignorant or who insist the earth is flat. How can I respect those people? I can't. That means it's better we go separate ways.

After reading that the vision of John Wayne walking slowly into the sunset overcame me....????

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

If they wanted to vote against the Conservative and Labor Brexit balls up, then why choose the one party openly supporting remaining in the UK rather than UKIP and independents openly advocating leave now and stuff a deal?

Clue: people can, do and are fully entitled to change their minds.

I went to the polling booth. I found out my choice was lab, con, lib dem and green. All against leave. I stood there for a full minute. Considered walking out. In the end i voted lib dem as a protest against the main two.

I would have voted for the monster raving looning party if they had been on the ballot.

Family members did similar. 

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

So why would they vote for a party dedicated to staying in the EU? 

Because they are a non entity - a protest vote - always been the same.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think in many cases it's not really about Brexit or no Brexit or which version of Brexit.

It's about valid arguments, bs arguments, wishful thinking, denial of reality, etc.

Let's look for a moment to the USA. Why do people accept a president who lies all the time and obstructs justice? That should not be a question of politics. It's just a question of right or wrong. And lying constantly and obstructing justice is definitely wrong.

Back to the UK. People were promised lots of money for the NHS? Was that realistic? No. People were promised they will have lots of advantages being outside of the EU and the EU will do everything to keep the UK as a partner. Really?

By now it's obvious that lots of promises were best case unrealistic and often lies.

If someone promises us a job with wonderful working conditions and a big salary and we say yes does that mean we still have to work for less money and in bad conditions? No. We (should) have the choice to think again knowing the real conditions.

Who of the leavers can say he/she were informed correctly? Many made their decisions based on lies. But now somehow they find it hard to admit that they made a decision based on wrong information. So why do many not accept a referendum based on correct information and based on real options, not fantasy?

I don't like to spend my time with people who are ignorant or who insist the earth is flat. How can I respect those people? I can't. That means it's better we go separate ways.

I have to counter some points made here with a couple of observations (and also leaving Trump out of the conversation.  He is in power by grace of the US Electoral College, in terms of the American Constitution.  Go and argue about it with the Supreme Court).

The British left, including Remainers, persist in trotting out the argument that the electorate were lied to by the leave camp, and stupidly voted in favour of Brexit.  One favourite comment in support of the "Lies" argument is the nonsense about additional billions for the NHS, although, in fact, the British Chancellor has already pencilled in many of these billions, in future budget planning.

However, the likes of Mark Carney, the BOE Governor, the then British Chancellor, George Osborne, the (French) head of the IMF, Christine Lagarde, and no less an illustrious person than then President Barack Hussain Obama himself, all proclaimed "lies" which were more egregious than any spoken by the Leave camp: "Rocketing inflation, higher taxation, huge unemployment, pariah status, condemned to a backwater on the world stage (so what?)", all of these prognostications, by so-called experts, have been proven to be not only wrong, but the outcome so far has been a diametrically opposite one.

Perhaps we should start a new thread here, as to which camp, Remain or Leave, told the most lies to the voting public?

After that, we can introduce a follow-up thread: "Who is the biggest liar, Donald Trump, or lyin' Hillary Rodham Clinton"?

33 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

I went to the polling booth. I found out my choice was lab, con, lib dem and green. All against leave. I stood there for a full minute. Considered walking out. In the end i voted lib dem as a protest against the main two.

I would have voted for the monster raving looning party if they had been on the ballot.

Family members did similar. 

Absolutely agree, and there was certainly nothing wrong with voting for Screaming Lord Sutch!

We should all understand, just like mid-term elections in the USA, that municipal elections in the United Kingdom are all about protest, a shot in the eye for the Ruling Party and the other parties who have not exactly covered themselves in glory over the last few years (I am talking the Tory and the Labour Party, of course), and so the public votes for parties which are not in bad odour at the time.  The Lib Dems, being the biggest party not in power, were always going to be  the likely recipients of the public's votes.

9 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

My friends see absolutely no advantages in leaving the largest trading bloc in the world to a very uncertain and probably worse future.

As for ""losing a few baht"" my pension is now worth about 25% less than it was the week before the referendum when the baht value was around 55 to the £ in anticipation of a Remain vote.

Unfortunately my British acquaintances seem to be brexiters, although none have lived in the UK for decades. Immigration is mentioned, as is make Britain great again????????

Likewise The Brexit vote saw my pension immediately devalued by over 20%. Nothing to do with a strong baht, the exchange rate has stayed within a 10% range ever since - and is still trading at similar rates with other currencies. What should have been a comfortable retirement has now become what not to buy this month. Overall, since i came to Thailand the exchange rate has fallen about 35% what with the financial crisis, then Brexit. And now we have the visa extension chaos. I will survive, but i know at least 2 of my friends are staring at no more extensions after 10 years.

Most of my CLOSE friends in Thailand are remainers or so-so Brexiteers - who became more ambivalent when they found out what it was costing them and just how deep the ramifications go. Most of the ardent Brexiteers either live in the UK and read the Daily Mail for their facts ....

All i hear from the Brexiteers is 'make Britain great again' .... 'we can trade with our old colonies now' .... 'get rid of the immigrants' ..... 'we can make our own decisions' and 'we can get rid of all this EU bureaucracy'. None of them can actually explain how this will be achieved, or what the impact would be ......

Brexit is like jumping off a cliff with an umbrella instead of a parachute and being promised a soft landing. 

We have seen how incompetent our Conservative, and especially Brexit politicians are. When it comes to planning non-existent, full of boundless enthusiasm but prone to major cockups. Also many ardent Brexiteer manufacturers have outsourced their production to 3rd world countries, and want free trade so they can import cheaper back into the UK. Farmers also realise they will be at the mercy of world food prices. About the only people who might benefit are British fishing boats!

I remembered something about a court case about an EU ref, the radio said the Judge said the promise was not legally binding...

found this on a fact check site via search.

"Blair has twice promised a referendum on Europe, three years down the line from the first pledge, and there's no sign of one"

EU ref 2004 / 2005, not legally binding though.

This time they had the vote, but do not want to implement....

Not getting into the good or bad, better to have a deal most likely inevitable, some process must be put in place with the EU, but if they don't implement " a leave" a plague on all the parties currently sitting in that house with the leaky roof ????.

Another ref should be only on an an argument to re-join, based on merit, and logic, not scaremongering etc

On 5/6/2019 at 10:52 AM, AlexRich said:

If you are at pension age I really can’t see what benefit you will get from Brexit? But the Brexiteers in this category, a large percentage of the total, are the most vocal about it. The majority of young people under 30 don’t want it, and will have to carry the economic burden. 

A subject that was seldom discussed in social groups, few cared about, and even less understood, has become the most divisive topic in the UK. Now it’s a religion, and any argument against your views is an insult to your new faith. Brexit has become an argument over who has the best imaginary friend. The dumbest decision ever made by a UK electorate.

Really!!

Well you may enjoy being dictated to by 23 unknown and unelected mystery people that make up the power burgers of Europe but I and 18+ million people do not.

At one time in our history the great country of England held rule over 2/3rds of the world this tiny little island was a model for the world to follow and in many ways still does.

I was brought up through the years of food shortages and very low wages but high taxation not just to pay back borrowed money for the war effort but also to rebuild the country that again started the war, and just as we were coming out of this prolonged austerity we were taken into the European Economic Corruption (that’s correct) laughingly known as the common market, whereupon we were forced to stab countries such as New Zealand, Australia and many more because the French and Germans could not produce the quality products that those countries did so well.

At the same time we were forced to drop our engineering industries and inventiveness because Germany wanted to hold on to the majority of that commerce, leaving us to change to service industries.

They even tried and still are trying to take over our banking industry.

As for your statement that the youth of tomorrow will carry the burden of Brexit, it leads one to believe wholeheartedly that, that piece of verbal diarrhoea will easily gain you an Oscar or some such gong.

England had the finest engineering background and inventiveness second to non and we will have it again once we get rid of the shackles imposed on us by Germany and France and the youth of today and tomorrow will benefit greatly from it.

You probably believe the rhetoric espoused that Brexit will mean severe job losses, well just to bring you up to speed, Germany is heading to recession and France has been struggling with 47% unemployment for years along with most of the European countries, and that figure does not include youth unemployment, whereas figures just published show that Britain since the vote to go out has an unemployment rate of 0.7%.

So the real truth is out there sunshine all you have to do is come down from cloud  cuckoo land dump the rhetoric put about by people with no idea and those only interested in there back pockets and start listening to those people who have the experience and memory of how we were and can be again.

Finally if you have not already realised it, I am not an expat I live in England and continue to pay my taxes there and I support my country and all the other leavers because I am a true Brit and love my country wanting only the best for it and that is Brexit.

I come to Thailand every 2 months and stay for 30 days because I love the climate,culture, people, and food here.

17 hours ago, rickudon said:

Likewise The Brexit vote saw my pension immediately devalued by over 20%. Nothing to do with a strong baht, the exchange rate has stayed within a 10% range ever since - and is still trading at similar rates with other currencies. What should have been a comfortable retirement has now become what not to buy this month. Overall, since i came to Thailand the exchange rate has fallen about 35% what with the financial crisis, then Brexit. And now we have the visa extension chaos. I will survive, but i know at least 2 of my friends are staring at no more extensions after 10 years.

It maybe the burning issue of your days in deepest Isaan, but none of the 17.4 million in the UK who voted for Leave is interested at all. If the exchange rate affect to your mates pension has become such a problem, you can still get a whole UK Quid for 1 GBP back home.

The Brexiteers here are more interested in the adverse affects of the EU over the past 40+ years and the benefits to the UK population after Leaving. 

On 5/7/2019 at 2:42 PM, Janner1 said:

Really!!

Well you may enjoy being dictated to by 23 unknown and unelected mystery people that make up the power burgers of Europe but I and 18+ million people do not.

At one time in our history the great country of England held rule over 2/3rds of the world this tiny little island was a model for the world to follow and in many ways still does.

I was brought up through the years of food shortages and very low wages but high taxation not just to pay back borrowed money for the war effort but also to rebuild the country that again started the war, and just as we were coming out of this prolonged austerity we were taken into the European Economic Corruption (that’s correct) laughingly known as the common market, whereupon we were forced to stab countries such as New Zealand, Australia and many more because the French and Germans could not produce the quality products that those countries did so well.

At the same time we were forced to drop our engineering industries and inventiveness because Germany wanted to hold on to the majority of that commerce, leaving us to change to service industries.

As for your statement that the youth of tomorrow will carry the burden of Brexit, it leads one to believe wholeheartedly that, that piece of verbal diarrhoea will easily gain you an Oscar or some such gong.

England had the finest engineering background and inventiveness second to non and we will have it again once we get rid of the shackles imposed on us by Germany and France and the youth of today and tomorrow will benefit greatly from it.

You probably believe the rhetoric espoused that Brexit will mean severe job losses, well just to bring you up to speed, Germany is heading to recession and France has been struggling with 47% unemployment for years along with most of the European countries, and that figure does not include youth unemployment, whereas figures just published show that Britain since the vote to go out has an unemployment rate of 0.7%.

So the real truth is out there sunshine all you have to do is come down from cloud  cuckoo land dump the rhetoric put about by people with no idea and those only interested in there back pockets and start listening to those people who have the experience and memory of how we were and can be again.

Finally if you have not already realised it, I am not an expat I live in England and continue to pay my taxes there and I support my country and all the other leavers because I am a true Brit and love my country wanting only the best for it and that is Brexit.

I come to Thailand every 2 months and stay for 30 days because I love the climate,culture, people, and food here.

Fits all my criteria for a Brexiteer .....

1. Lives in UK so not so affected by a devalued pound.

2. Thinks the British Empire still exists.

3. The EU is a German plot to destroy the UK.

4. The EU is corrupt and incompetent (what about the British government?).

5. Thinks that British engineering will lead the world (so that's why British people stopped buying British?)

6, Doesn't care what the younger generation thinks.

Start listening to those people who have the experience and memory of how we were and can be again.

Thinks you can turn the clock back 70 years. Sorry, it is a very different world now. Looking back will not help us deal with it.

6 minutes ago, rickudon said:

5. Thinks that British engineering will lead the world (so that's why British people stopped buying British?)

Thinks you can turn the clock back 70 years. Sorry, it is a very different world now. Looking back will not help us deal with it.

So you are German...?    ????

On 5/5/2019 at 1:33 PM, Kwasaki said:

I tell my friends I never wanted to join a load of foreigners in first place and left England and retired early because the building industry was buggered up anyway.

It was the US and the 2008 crisis which affected me, Brexit hasn't happen yet. 

And you live where? 

On 5/7/2019 at 8:42 AM, Janner1 said:

Really!!

You've been radicalised,get of-line for a while and go smell the flowers.

On 5/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, Janner1 said:

Really!!

When I spout bullshit statistics, if I want people to take them seriously, I try to make them credible.  I worry that otherwise, I would look like an ignorant tool

22 hours ago, rickudon said:

Start listening to those people who have the experience and memory of how we were and can be again.

Fits all my criteria for an idiot!

Perhaps you should learn to read properly,

I come here on holiday every two months so yes I am affected by the devalued GBp. Which was devalued but the Bank of England purely as punishment for having the balls to vote OUT. There was and still is no reason for it other than as stated above.

Perhap if you had not abandoned your country you may just have an idea of the truth.

number 2 is so childish and stupid it needs no comment 

3 If you had any sense of history you would know that Germany tried to beat us in two world wars wherein millions of brave men and women died so that you could spout your verbal junk in here.

And then they tried to beat us by undermining our banking industry and taking it over, they actually demanded that the British government handed it over.

Had you kept up to speed you would know that had we joined the Euro we were to be demoted to an suburb of the smallest country in the Union. The final humiliation for having stood up German dominance 

4 when did I say that the British Government was not corrupt? You appear to be saying that the EU is not!!

5 Again if you had any history you would know that part of the deal for entry in 1972 was that we would abandon 95% of our engineering capacity in favour of Germany.

6 Sadly the younger generation are somewhat like you no history and guided by parents who are entirely like you. But just to bring you up to speed some 40% of the younger generation who actually voted, voted OUT

7 No I do not think the clock needs to to be turned back 70 years 42 years will be fine to a time when British engineering and initiative was admired around the world and we could strike our own deals with any country in the world and not have to pay a 20% surcharge to Germany for any business we did.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why countries from around the world were already in London waiting for the vote and when it was announced those representatives clambered at government doors to do deals, and it is also why British order books for almost every conceivable products are full up and 0.7% of our population is unemployed.

It is entirely because we voted OUT

Sadly your stupid and uninformed comments have led me to believe that Wyatt Earp’s brother What a Twerp is still very much alive.

I am so glad you do not drink coffee! You would be dangerous.

Moderator please don’t kick this out just because you may think it is offensive. It is not intended to be and 18 million people would agree with me

At the end of the day, we all need a system in place, to carry on after Brexit, if the politicians won't hurry up and get their finger out and do a bit of work, there will be no environment to flourish in the UK for business or individual! 

7 hours ago, Janner1 said:

Fits all my criteria for an idiot!

Perhaps you should learn to read properly,

I come here on holiday every two months so yes I am affected by the devalued GBp. Which was devalued but the Bank of England purely as punishment for having the balls to vote OUT. There was and still is no reason for it other than as stated above.

Perhap if you had not abandoned your country you may just have an idea of the truth.

number 2 is so childish and stupid it needs no comment 

3 If you had any sense of history you would know that Germany tried to beat us in two world wars wherein millions of brave men and women died so that you could spout your verbal junk in here.

And then they tried to beat us by undermining our banking industry and taking it over, they actually demanded that the British government handed it over.

Had you kept up to speed you would know that had we joined the Euro we were to be demoted to an suburb of the smallest country in the Union. The final humiliation for having stood up German dominance 

4 when did I say that the British Government was not corrupt? You appear to be saying that the EU is not!!

5 Again if you had any history you would know that part of the deal for entry in 1972 was that we would abandon 95% of our engineering capacity in favour of Germany.

6 Sadly the younger generation are somewhat like you no history and guided by parents who are entirely like you. But just to bring you up to speed some 40% of the younger generation who actually voted, voted OUT

7 No I do not think the clock needs to to be turned back 70 years 42 years will be fine to a time when British engineering and initiative was admired around the world and we could strike our own deals with any country in the world and not have to pay a 20% surcharge to Germany for any business we did.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why countries from around the world were already in London waiting for the vote and when it was announced those representatives clambered at government doors to do deals, and it is also why British order books for almost every conceivable products are full up and 0.7% of our population is unemployed.

It is entirely because we voted OUT

Sadly your stupid and uninformed comments have led me to believe that Wyatt Earp’s brother What a Twerp is still very much alive.

I am so glad you do not drink coffee! You would be dangerous.

Moderator please don’t kick this out just because you may think it is offensive. It is not intended to be and 18 million people would agree with me

Idiots are their own greatest critics. 

You can call a man an idiot, but he will not listen.  You can tell others he's an idiot, but they will give him the benefit of the doubt.  Let him speak, and suddenly everything becomes clear.

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

You can call a man an idiot, but he will not listen.  You can tell others he's an idiot, but they will give him the benefit of the doubt.  Let him speak, and suddenly everything becomes clear.

You said it.

Again if you had any history you would know that part of the deal for entry in 1972 was that we would abandon 95% of our engineering capacity in favour of Germany.

I would love to see a verifiable reference for that. Without it, i assume just more Brexit lies. As were several other claims.

I actually found your reply to me rather amusing, as it actually confirmed half of what i said.

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

I would love to see a verifiable reference for that. Without it, i assume just more Brexit lies. As were several other claims.

I actually found your reply to me rather amusing, as it actually confirmed half of what i said.

The importance attached to the issue, the perceived perspicacity of the people, is shown by the quality of the shills assigned to the issue.   I trust no-one on this forum is that gullible, but I think there are plenty who will choose to agree, despite it being arrant nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 3:04 PM, transam said:

Well the UK has dealt with that stuff before and came out the other side sort of OK......Was a long road but we came out OK..

Yes. but at 73 I can't wait for ever for 2 USD to the GBP again (and the relevant rates for other currencies). Joking apart, there is no doubt that the outcome of the 2016 referendum tanked the pound. Had the result gone the other way all of us living here would probably have had about 20% more to spend. I cannot think of one thing that can be more important to an expat than the exchange rate. Mind you, having read many of the threads on this forum around Brexit, I wonder how many posters actually live in Thailand.     

On 5/11/2019 at 10:58 PM, StreetCowboy said:

The importance attached to the issue, the perceived perspicacity of the people, is shown by the quality of the shills assigned to the issue.   I trust no-one on this forum is that gullible, but I think there are plenty who will choose to agree, despite it being arrant nonsense.

I have information that the Germans are making us remove the word 'gullible' from English dictionaries. There is no end to their machinations!

Archived