BREXIT or No Brexit ~ Friends or No Friends

I just was thinking about the last two or three years concerning my friends when it came to this awful subject BREXIT. When we met during the time we always discussed the Pro and Cons. But the longer the process was streched the more emotions were intensified. I remember an evening my so far best friend here in CM left our table without any word. The next day he told the "Remainers", that he did'nt want to see us again. 

And here the point : We are all old guys here. What impact could have the UK decision to our life? In My eyes: non. 

Except maybe that you'll get a few Baht less for your Pension. 

What is your experience with friends and the Brexit? 

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

What is your experience with friends and the Brexit?

I tell my friends I never wanted to join a load of foreigners in first place and left England and retired early because the building industry was buggered up anyway.

It was the US and the 2008 crisis which affected me, Brexit hasn't happen yet. 

It's because democracy is very important to some people, so when your government doesn't respect your demoratic vote, despite what you voted for being in their election manifesto, people get slightly pear shaped. If your aquaintances side with said government then that's the reason people walk away from your company.

Yes, this subject does stretch emotions, never becomes a heated debate though. I think it has promoted a universal attitude towards politicians though ????.

There is no guarantees either way!

The positive discrimination to EU nationals, resulting in negatives, for non EU nations.

My chosen union was UK & Thai! Not what a bunch of career debaters decided empire build, generally without consent from the populous ..

(Very mild Brexiter ????)

If you are at pension age I really can’t see what benefit you will get from Brexit? But the Brexiteers in this category, a large percentage of the total, are the most vocal about it. The majority of young people under 30 don’t want it, and will have to carry the economic burden. 

A subject that was seldom discussed in social groups, few cared about, and even less understood, has become the most divisive topic in the UK. Now it’s a religion, and any argument against your views is an insult to your new faith. Brexit has become an argument over who has the best imaginary friend. The dumbest decision ever made by a UK electorate.

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Wrong question. No Brexit (Remain) no longer an option as already defeated in the 2016 referendum.

The Liberal Democrat landslide in the English local council elections tells us something. Remaining in the EU is still very much on the table ... and if we end up with EU elections people like Farage might find that there are more “Remain” MEPs elected than he bargained for. In 2019 the UK is no longer for Brexit ... 

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

The Liberal Democrat landslide in the English local council elections tells us something. Remaining in the EU is still very much on the table ... and if we end up with EU elections people like Farage might find that there are more “Remain” MEPs elected than he bargained for. In 2019 the UK is no longer for Brexit ... 

The local elections tell us nothing.  The vote was largely a protest vote against the two main parties.  The Lib Dems are an irrelevant nonentity. 

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The local elections tell us nothing.  The vote was largely a protest vote against the two main parties.  The Lib Dems are an irrelevant nonentity. 

It tells you that there is a large voting population that don’t want Brexit ... the only reason anyone would vote Liberal Democrat. 

If it were a protest about “not delivering Brexit” the voters would not vote Liberal Democrat.

If we end up with a confirmatory vote on any Brexit deal then Brexit is dead.

6 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

So why would they vote for a party dedicated to staying in the EU? 

Because the Liberals will never get enough seats in Parliament to do anything.

If it was anything apart from a protest they would have voted Labour.

Really there should be an election with a 'Stay party' and a 'Leave party', but none of the existing MPs have the guts to do it.

My friends see absolutely no advantages in leaving the largest trading bloc in the world to a very uncertain and probably worse future.

As for ""losing a few baht"" my pension is now worth about 25% less than it was the week before the referendum when the baht value was around 55 to the £ in anticipation of a Remain vote.

Just now, Jonnapat said:

My friends see absolutely no advantages in leaving the largest trading bloc in the world to a very uncertain and probably worse future.

As for ""losing a few baht"" my pension is now worth about 25% less than it was the week before the referendum when the baht value was around 55 to the £ in anticipation of a Remain vote.

But your friends are posh....????

A yes the LDs, I had membership of them once. Then along came a policy doc that suggested folk would only get there state pension if they were on the voters role in the UK (or EU). That and the tuition fees, when they went into coalition, kinda ensured no renewal, May still consider the as local council reps though...

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

It tells me the voters are pissed at the Conservatives for not leaving.

Then why didn't they vote for the independents, UKIP etc who were advocating leave quickly and no deal?

They chose to vote for the one party that openly backs remaining in the EU.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

If they wanted to vote against the Conservative and Labor Brexit balls up, then why choose the one party openly supporting remaining in the UK rather than UKIP and independents openly advocating leave now and stuff a deal?

Clue: people can, do and are fully entitled to change their minds.

What I would like to know is What was the overall voter turnout for these elections. (Google doesn't say). How many people did not bother to vote, turnout in local council elections are usually low.

Why what I heard there were a large number of spoiled papers, in addition I think that if Farage's party had been contesting the overall result would be quite different. UKIP has earned itself a somewhat unsavoury reputation and many voters would have chosen the L/Dems. to punish the two major parties.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Then why didn't they vote for the independents, UKIP etc who were advocating leave quickly and no deal?

Indeed.

And the anti EU party, UKIP, was the party which lost the greatest percentage of its councillors.

They lost over 80% of them.

As far as voting for Lib Dems goes, although they are a remain party, many leavers voted for them as a way of showing displeasure at main parties as there were no Ukip etc candidates available in their particular constituency.

Hopefully there will be more Brexit candidates at the European election for Leavers to vote for.

As far as discussions amongst friends in Thailand goes, I was there for four months up until end of April, and had many discussions with various people about this. However, not one of them was a Remain supporter. Everyone I spoke to was of the same mind - basically we should get out, and are currently being betrayed by MP’s of all parties. 

3 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

The whole country's been shot down by a Junker end of story and turned the pound to shrapnel????

Well the UK has dealt with that stuff before and came out the other side sort of OK......Was a long road but we came out OK..

3 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

My friends see plenty of opportunities in Leaving a protectionist racket, money grabbing eurocracy and wannabe federal superstate.

I can only offer token commiserations about your exchange rate forecast miscalculation, but the rest of UK really doesn't care about anyone in Thailand. 

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Well the UK has dealt with that stuff before and came out the other side sort of OK......Was a long road but we came out OK..

But we have run out of spitfires now ????

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

They did vote for the independents. About 660 additional seats.

6 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

All western currencies are down against the Baht, do you want to blame Brexit for the poor value of the Baht/Aussie dollar?

I think in many cases it's not really about Brexit or no Brexit or which version of Brexit.

It's about valid arguments, bs arguments, wishful thinking, denial of reality, etc.

Let's look for a moment to the USA. Why do people accept a president who lies all the time and obstructs justice? That should not be a question of politics. It's just a question of right or wrong. And lying constantly and obstructing justice is definitely wrong.

Back to the UK. People were promised lots of money for the NHS? Was that realistic? No. People were promised they will have lots of advantages being outside of the EU and the EU will do everything to keep the UK as a partner. Really?

By now it's obvious that lots of promises were best case unrealistic and often lies.

If someone promises us a job with wonderful working conditions and a big salary and we say yes does that mean we still have to work for less money and in bad conditions? No. We (should) have the choice to think again knowing the real conditions.

Who of the leavers can say he/she were informed correctly? Many made their decisions based on lies. But now somehow they find it hard to admit that they made a decision based on wrong information. So why do many not accept a referendum based on correct information and based on real options, not fantasy?

I don't like to spend my time with people who are ignorant or who insist the earth is flat. How can I respect those people? I can't. That means it's better we go separate ways.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's look for a moment to the USA. Why do people accept a president who lies all the time and obstructs justice? That should not be a question of politics. It's just a question of right or wrong. And lying constantly and obstructing justice is definitely wrong.

Because the alternative would probably have been worse.

It's the same in the UK, they're all selfish and corrupt, you just try to pick the ones you think will cause least damage.

Archived