The Disease Concept And Brain Chemistry Of Alcoholism

Neeranam

www.nicd.us/thediseaseconceptandbrainchemistry.html

The above link is very good from the NICD. National Institute on Chemical Dependency.

Excellent, this Christian NGO makes a strong case for a definitive chemical affinity amongst all substance addictions, ie, treating alcohol addiction like any other chemical addiction.

And offers a full page of bibilical quotations and exhortations to Journey with Jesus.

Plus one for the NCID Daily Bible Study Course.

And another with a point-by-point history of AA pointing out the real sources of the organisational philosopy (Book of James, Sermon on the Mount, 1 Corinthians 13, and The Principles of Jesus).

Not to mention the NICD News Magazine -- 'Featuring articles of faith, faith based treatment resources, the politics of addiction, and so much more ...'

Very interesting reading. :o

You might enjoy the books "Buddhism and the 12 Steps", "Zen of Recovery", "One Breath at a Time" for a buddhist approach to the 12 steps. You can download mp3's of Ajahn Santikaro lecturing on each of the twelve steps from a buddhist perspective at www.liberationpark.com. Santikaro is the leading English language translator of Ajahn Buddhadasa's works and he was a monk at Wat Suan Mokkh for many years.

You might enjoy the books "Buddhism and the 12 Steps", "Zen of Recovery", "One Breath at a Time" for a buddhist approach to the 12 steps. You can download mp3's of Ajahn Santikaro lecturing on each of the twelve steps from a buddhist perspective at www.liberationpark.com. Santikaro is the leading English language translator of Ajahn Buddhadasa's works and he was a monk at Wat Suan Mokkh for many years.

I know Santikaro. I wonder if any research into the Buddhist version of 12-step methodology has been done. I would imagine the success rates would be roughly the same as with any 12-step program?

Reading an article some years ago, there were about 127 12 step programs in the US. The 12 steps are used for a variety of character type defects.

I have also seen this process work with young women and eating disorders.

What I have seen in practice is that a lot depends also on the practioner delivering the program. Their enthusisim I have seen as infectious to those being treated.

Their is a lot of research on this type of topic; there are researchers out there that will promote to hijack a subject into believing what is being put forward is the best way. Alcoholics are vulnerable to an easy way out of trouble.

Somtimes it comes back to the individual; what they want to believe in and what they will acept as being the most plausable option to deal with the problem. They don't see that the problem is from within.

The Disease concept was explained to me as a plausable addmission of the world health organisation to have alcoholisim classed as a sickness. The word disease I am told for an alcoholic means a person who is ill at ease with them self. Hence the need to take themself away from themself by the use of a substance.

I suppose that brain chemistry changes when the need to take oneself away from oneself starts with the first drink.

I may be wrong, but I have use some of this in work practice. The other point is 'Just keep it simple'.

I remember Ajahn Santikaro reading pages 60-62 from the book "Alcoholics Anonymous" during a 10-day retreat at Wat Suan Mokkh in Sept 1997. He thought the AA program was a very good example of Buddhadasa's concept of engaged buddhism, spiritual path in action. He commented on the similarity between the Buddha's teachings and the 12-steps in their attempts to reduce self-centeredness.

The 4 noble truths and 12 step path have much in common as his downloadable lectures talk about at length.

www.liberationpark.org

Buddhism, the 12 Steps, & the 12 Traditions

12 Steps audio | 12 Traditions audio

Santikaro writes, "There are numerous parallels and congruencies between the Buddha's teaching & the 12 Step path that has benefited millions of people with addictions. In a sense, the Buddhist exploration of how clinging to “I” and “mine” generates selfishness & suffering is a matter of addiction. This provides one meeting place for dialogue among followers of these two not-separate paths. Our group has been meeting for two years to discuss the parallels between Buddhist practice and working the 12 Steps."

Santikaro continues, "The Twelve Traditions

In 2006, we will continue our dialogue by exploring the 12 Traditions, which have much wisdom to offer spiritual and service groups wishing to stay true to their values and not ossify as institutions. We believe this will be relevant to the development of Buddhist Sanghas in America and Liberation Park in particular."

Bravo, any program that works for an individual has much merit.

Ego is such a big part of alcoholism that many in early recovery feel a great sense of relief when they adopt the concept that they are not responsible for "running the world". Co-dependency is also part of the mix as many early recovery alcoholics find they are very co-dependent and feel responsible for many others happiness and well being.

Buddhism would certainly help them a lot when it comes to the ego issue.