Which passorts to use, and when??

I'm just about to take my kids back to the UK for a couple of weeks to see their grandparents. They are both born in the UK and have UK passports, as well as Thai Passports, and I have heard that in Thailand you are not allowed dual nationality. We live fulltime in Thailand with my Thai wife so I'm trying to figure out which passports they should use to leave Thailand, UK or Thai? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Edited by drink75

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Then at immigration you use their Thai passports to exit the country.

2 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Outbound:

At the immigration counter only the kids Thai passports.

That would be OK if they used their Thai passports for their last entry into Thailand from the UK. If, however, they used their British passports then these are the ones that should be used to exit Thailand on this occasion.

• Like 1

I do not worry about the flight check in. Private company, give them both, one, or whatever they ask for. 

Thai immigration - Thai passport, don't even have your other passports in sight, to be safe i would say. 

UK immigration UK passport. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, utalkin2me said:

Thai passport, don't even have your other passports in sight, to be safe i would say. 

Nothing to worry about really as the kids are completely safe in holding dual nationality.  

Though, you raise a good point as having their UK passports in sight can give rise to confusion and confusion results in blank stares and bewilderment which in turn holds the queue up whilst the IO's brain goes into overdrive as anything outside of the normal script is extremely hard for them to process.   

I once had my wife's British passport in my hand when entering LOS and, trust me, the IO's eyeballs starting revolving at an alarming rate.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

That would be OK if they used their Thai passports for their last entry into Thailand from the UK. If, however, they used their British passports then these are the ones that should be used to exit Thailand on this occasion.

@drink75 - please clarify the following points:-

(1) Where did you obtain your kids' Thai passports - in the UK or subsequently in Thailand?

(2) Which nationality passport did they each use for their most recent entry into Thailand?

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

@drink75 - please clarify the following points:-

(1) Where did you obtain your kids' Thai passports - in the UK or subsequently in Thailand?

(2) Which nationality passport did they each use for their most recent entry into Thailand?

Originally both UK and Thai Passports were got when we lived in the UK. Both have been renewed now in Thailand as they all expired. There are no stamps in any passports.

1 hour ago, OneEyedPie said:

Outbound:

At Swampy check in desk you should hand over both British and Thai passports.  At the immigration counter only the kids Thai passports.

At the departure gate you hand over both UK and Thai passports.

In the UK you only hand over the British passports.

Inbound:

At UK airport only hand over the British passports.

At Swampy immigration only hand over the Thai passports.

Dual nationality is legal otherwise Thais would have to enter LOS as a foreigner.

This seems to contradict everything I have read elsewhere but does make sense. I guess then on the outbound flight, both passports get an exit stamp from Thailand? Then when we enter on just the Thai Passports, the IO sees an exit stamp and all is rosey.

4 minutes ago, drink75 said:

This seems to contradict everything I have read elsewhere but does make sense. I guess then on the outbound flight, both passports get an exit stamp from Thailand?

You were under the impression that dual nationality was illegal so lots of contradictions, indeed.

Only hand over the kids Thai passports at immigration.  Sir, you're hard work.  Even if you hand over both passports only the Thai ones will be exit stamped.

Edited by OneEyedPie

1 hour ago, OneEyedPie said:

Outbound:

At Swampy check in desk you should hand over both British and Thai passports.  At the immigration counter only the kids Thai passports.

At the departure gate you hand over both UK and Thai passports.

In the UK you only hand over the British passports.

Inbound:

At UK airport only hand over the British passports.

At Swampy immigration only hand over the Thai passports.

Dual nationality is legal otherwise Thais would have to enter LOS as a foreigner.

I am concerned about this mention of a letter of permission. Have spent the last hour reading about this all over the forum and cannot find a succinct answer. Basically put, it's too late to get any such letter as we fly first thing in the morning. I have decided to bring my wifes ID, our marriage certificate, Tabian Baan, plus a written letter signed by my wife giving consent.

Fingers crossed that's enough, seems many reports on ThaiVisa where it's not even asked for, then just as many where it is. TIT!

1 minute ago, drink75 said:

I am concerned about this mention of a letter of permission.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.  I would imagine your surnames all match up in your passports?

1 minute ago, OneEyedPie said:

You were under the impression that dual nationality was illegal so a lots of contradictions, indeed.

Only hand over the kids Thai passports at immigration.  Sir, you're hard work.  Even if you hand over both passports only the Thai ones will be exit stamped.

555, yep that's what the misses says! OK, reread your message and spotted my mistake. Thankyou kind sir!

Just now, drink75 said:

555, yep that's what the misses says! OK, reread your message and spotted my mistake. Thankyou kind sir!

No chicken curries.  Good luck and have a great and safe trip.

Who you flying with out of interest?

Just now, OneEyedPie said:

Don't worry, you'll be fine.  I would imagine your surnames all match up in your passports?

Yes, indeed and just what I had read elsewhere. Just in last minute panikc mode as a result of being a total lost hope at organising stuff.

Just now, OneEyedPie said:

No chicken curries.  Good luck and have a great and safe trip.

Who you flying with out of interest?

BA for my sins. Not been back for so long and would have prefered Emirates with a stop on Dubai, but only business class seat where left so could not afford this time.

6 minutes ago, drink75 said:

Was just going to bring a signed copy

Cool.

Without teaching your grandmother how to suck eggs please don't proffer the aforementioned documentation unless requested, i.e. marriage cert and wife's ID.  The chances of complete and utter chaos / confusion / meltdown often result when providing additional docs when not requested.  Stick to the script and you'll be fine.

Edited by OneEyedPie

1 minute ago, OneEyedPie said:

Cool.

Without teaching your grandmother how to suck eggs please don't proffer the aforementioned documentation unless requested, i.e. marriage cert and wife's ID.  The chances of complete and utter confusion / meltdown often result when providing additional docs when not requested.  

Yep, my 12 years of visa runs and non 'o' applications have taught me to bring more than I need, but only submit on request.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drink75 said:

Yep, my 12 years of visa runs and non 'o' applications have taught me to bring more than I need, but only submit on request.

That's the spirit.  Bon voyage.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

You were under the impression that dual nationality was illegal so lots of contradictions, indeed.

Thai passports are not stamped. Thais leave electronically.

Each time you check in with the airline the kids show the passport of their destination.

Each time you depart you show immigration the passport of the country you are leaving. Each time you arrive you show the passport of the country you have arrived at.

No need to show two passports at anytime, unless of course you are asked to do so.

• Like 1

From my experience no immigration desk likes to see more than one passport unless it’s from the same country, I have been berated by Thai officials showing both my sons passports and my mother was warned at Australian immigration for showing both UK and Aussie passports 

19 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

The general rule is, you will check in with their foreign passports, to show they have legal right of entry to the country you are flying to.

Then at immigration you use their Thai passports to exit the country. At that point, and I'm assuming they are minors, make sure you have a letter from the Amphur signed by Mom stating that she gives you permission to take them out of the country without her, it can get sticky otherwise!

Entry and exit from the foreign country is on their foreign passport, entry back into Thailand is on their Thai passports

Yes, that is right, I'm talking from (similar) experience.

If you leave Thailand without the mother, the letter from the amphor might be necessary when leaving Thailand – my latter was not signed by mom, but officially signed and stamped by the amphor office – however might also depend of the child's age, and if its same family name as the person taking the child/children out of Thailand. Obtaining the letter from the amphor is a simple procedure, but both father, child, and mother need to be present together with ID-documentation, and photocopies of same (check the way the amphor want the copies to be made, as they might reject, if not correctly copied).

????

20 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

Nothing to worry about really as the kids are completely safe in holding dual nationality.  

Though, you raise a good point as having their UK passports in sight can give rise to confusion and confusion results in blank stares and bewilderment which in turn holds the queue up whilst the IO's brain goes into overdrive as anything outside of the normal script is extremely hard for them to process.   

I once had my wife's British passport in my hand when entering LOS and, trust me, the IO's eyeballs starting revolving at an alarming rate.  

Thanks, I am sure you are right. I still would not have the other passport in sight. Entering Thiland all you need is a Thai passport, so why not have the other ones tucked away? 

Edited by utalkin2me

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, that is right, I'm talking from (similar) experience.

If you leave Thailand without the mother, the letter from the amphor might be necessary when leaving Thailand – my latter was not signed by mom, but officially signed and stamped by the amphor office – however might also depend of the child's age, and if its same family name as the person taking the child/children out of Thailand. Obtaining the letter from the amphor is a simple procedure, but both father, child, and mother need to be present together with ID-documentation, and photocopies of same (check the way the amphor want the copies to be made, as they might reject, if not correctly copied).

????

I had this issue when travelling with my son back to the US, he's dual US/Thai.

I didn't have the letter and it got a little nerve wracking, getting Mom on the phone, talking to the immigration guy.

40 minutes later they did let us board, but it was close. At that time I had no idea this letter even existed, yet alone required

Trouble is, like many things in Thailand it's totally random how and when they decide to apply a 'rule'.

There have been stories of people being denied boarding, others just sail through without it.

I was somewhere in between I guess.

Living in Thailand and interacting with any part of the Thai State is akin to sitting at a roulette table!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, drink75 said:

Originally both UK and Thai Passports were got when we lived in the UK. Both have been renewed now in Thailand as they all expired. There are no stamps in any passports.

So presumably your kids last entered Thailand with Thai passports? If so, their current Thai passports are the ones with which they should exit Thailand.