Video: Caught in the act! Foreigners stealing Thai jobs on Samui say operators

webfact

A very weak case just going by the photo, in fact I 100% don't believe it. I've never seen this happen in and around the Pattaya area and I doubt it happens elsewhere. As soon as they arrest someone and prove it I remain sceptical.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Are these the same jobs as in pattaya where dozens of taxis just sit there will not turn on the meter, refuse to go a short distances and charge you as they were the only taxi in Pattaya?...

No - they are the jobs on Samui where the taxis charge people 800 baht for a 20-minute drive. Now can you understand why the taxi drivers are angry? 

1 hour ago, Booboo101 said:

The truth is, if they let foreigners work here, Thailand would finally become the great country it should be !

Don't bank on it, I've been working here 25 years and not much has changed. If anything, the mentality has become more retarded.

And the reason? The rip off prices charged by the taxi operators! (Apart from the "minimum drop down" charge of 50 baht added on to the cost of the trip for "Meter Taxis"!)

I recently got a songtau with my wife from Lamai to a hospital in Chaweng - dropped at the gate - cost 50 baht each = 100 baht. (Gave him 20 baht tip)

Taxi from Tesco Lotus, Chaweng to Big C - app 1km and the taxi driver wanted 300 baht! Bartered down to 200 baht - needless to say - no tip. If it hadn't been so hot, we'd have walked! 

9 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Let us know where those excellent tour guides are on Samui.

Last time i hired an official taxi there they wanted 100 USD for the ride.

Screenshot_20190509_092550.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes and just to show the mentality - since when is 150$ US the same as 150 Euros?

3 hours ago, SuperTed said:

Samui is a gross rip-off; there is nothing worse than arriving at an airport with no metered taxis. Disgraceful.

Russian and Chinese operators always have a partner. The ones that don't will be shut down. And if someone feels like it, the ones with Thai partners will be shut down as well. 

This has all happened before and it will all happen again.

"Samui is a gross rip-off; there is nothing worse than arriving at an airport with no metered taxis."

How about the rip off from the airline company that has just dropped you off?

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"Samui is a gross rip-off; there is nothing worse than arriving at an airport with no metered taxis."

Yep, Bangkok Air are renowned for their extorinate fares to Samui.....

2 hours ago, sambum said:

You mean your government taxing air travel, I got charged more than £400 tax on a free airmiles business class flight from the UK to Thailand - that's about 20% of the flight price. (then they had the cheek to add VAT as well)

13 hours ago, impulse said:

What a racist crock.  I've had some excellent Thai tour guides.

Oh no the racist card is showing it's ugly head, 

and lucky for us, we have you to identify it for us all...

or at least what you think it is in your opinion.

Here I thought I had left that overused term behind me in my home country, 

but sadly it appears not to be so.

Honestly though, doesn't everyone have a right to express their opinion, 

and it be received as such~opinion.

It's not necessary to categorize it, is it?

2 minutes ago, ajarnmarc said:

Oh no the racist card is showing it's ugly head, 

and lucky for us, we have you to identify it for us all...

or at least what you think it is in your opinion.

Here I thought I had left that overused term behind me in my home country, 

but sadly it appears not to be so.

Honestly though, doesn't everyone have a right to express their opinion, 

and it be received as such~opinion.

It's not necessary to categorize it, is it?

He expressed his opinion, and I expressed mine.  

What's your problem with that?

20 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

er the tens of thousands of Thais working illegally abroad 'taking jobs' from Koreans and Australians etc not a problem then?

Not for the local Thai people it isn,t

22 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Let us know where those excellent tour guides are on Samui.

Last time i hired an official taxi there they wanted 100 USD for the ride.

Screenshot_20190509_092550.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this stupid sign again. we had endless wisdom about this not long ago. Some of the less bright TV members seem to take one photo as gospel and think these are the Samui transport prices. Love how you claim that this happened to you when the photo was widely published all over the internet.  

You seem to have a similar mindset to your dad and might be better suited back home in Germany where the only incompetence and scamming is by Angela and her goons. It boggles my mind how you can decided to live in a country where you think so little about the host population. 

2 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

Thanks for posting this stupid sign again. we had endless wisdom about this not long ago. Some of the less bright TV members seem to take one photo as gospel and think these are the Samui transport prices. Love how you claim that this happened to you when the photo was widely published all over the internet.  

You seem to have a similar mindset to your dad and might be better suited back home in Germany where the only incompetence and scamming is by Angela and her goons. It boggles my mind how you can decided to live in a country where you think so little about the host population. 

Steady on ol' chap....????

UPDATE:

"C'est moi! But I'm not a taxi driver" Frenchman tells Samui cops as Thais urged to rat on foreigners

Koh Samui police have interviewed the foreign man seen accepting money after taking tourists to the port on Koh Samui. 

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1099582-cest-moi-but-im-not-a-taxi-driver-frenchman-tells-samui-cops-as-thais-urged-to-rat-on-foreigners/

39 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

Oh Angela not scamming people of different skin color but giving them shelter is a scam. 

But we germans are the nazis and racists right ????

What's there to think about the host population, if they scam us they are scammers and don't deserve our business. But go ahead and defend these scammers, you are prolly in somehow with the taxi mafia. 

Why is it that the Samui police just let the taxi do what they want. Ever heard of a meter being used in samui , i think is a standing joke with the drivers. The tourist police haraess drivers going to the airport  saying they are private taxi's without the green or yellow plates,  why dont they just look outside Tesco. Big C. and see the cars charging 200bht for a local drop off, deal with the over changing, on taxi & songthews ,by putting  some plain cloth Thais and foreigners with cameras to see how bad it is. This is why people risk their life's on scooters that they cant ride or dont have a licence or understanding of the local road ways ( but the hospital over charging  is another issue). If you compare the local fares in other parts of thailand and asia, samui is more like European prices.

My experience on Koh Samui was that they over charged for everything.

A landing fee and then just up the road a being on the island fee. Over priced rides anywhere.

I often walked rather than be ripped off anymore.

If I lived on the island and was going the right direction then I would give free rides to others for sure.

Will I ever go back to the island? Not a bloody chance. 

12 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I expect to pay as much as the meter displays. Like every other taxi user worldwide. 

But why would they care about their own laws, right?

Yes, you expect the peasant wages that Bangkok taxi's are forced to charge, never mind that it keeps them so poor they have to sleep on the street, it keeps the Bangkokians in cheap taxi fares, and that is all you expect.

50 minutes ago, moutamine said:

I've been working in Thailand for a few years now and me and my wife are boycotting this dreaded island from any long weekend trips.  They will never see a baht from me these SOBs.

Have you actually been to Samui or are you simply relying on something you've gleaned from a bloke in a pub?

Archived