Video: Caught in the act! Foreigners stealing Thai jobs on Samui say operators

webfact

Video: Caught in the act! Foreigners stealing Thai jobs on Samui say operators

9pm_VI.jpg
Caption: Foreigners causing trouble taking Thais' jobs. Government doing nothing. Clip reveals the evidence.

Thai operators have taken to social media to beg the government to take action against foreigners stealing their jobs on Koh Samui.

They say that an increasing number of foreigners are in on the act - and now they have proof, they claim. 

The alleged proof comes in the form of a short video showing a Westerner returning change to a couple of foreign tourists after a trip in a pick-up on the holiday island. 

Thais on Samui are saying that the situation has been going on for a long time with Europeans, Chinese and Koreans in particular acting as guides and taxi services for tourists. 

9pm1.jpg
Picture: Manager

These jobs are reserved for Thai nationals. 

The head of the local public vehicle association Natthadanai Himthong - also known as Kamnan Yot - has said enough is enough. 

562000004570804.jpg
Picture: Manager

He is fed up with his members suffering because of the illegal foreigners causing them hardship. 

He said that complaints to the government have been made in the past but little was done. 

Now the situation is getting worse and it is well overdue for the state to act, reported Manager. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-09

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, PatOngo said:

….and I thought the story would be about foreigners cleaning up the local beaches.....they don't seem to complain when that happens!

Is that because they don't steal the job from Thais cleaning up the beach?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Cleaning is not a protected occupation or a much sort after job.

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:
4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Cleaning is not a protected occupation or a much sort after job.

Yes, my point exactly.

this is stupid. that ain't a business. guy could be just taxiing family and they pay a little fuel. i wasn't bothered to read on. Seems stupid and racist to me. 

Thais always winging but never do any work if given half a chance. Who's to blame?

Are these the same jobs as in pattaya where dozens of taxis just sit there will not turn on the meter, refuse to go a short distances and charge you as they were the only taxi in Pattaya?...

32 minutes ago, webfact said:
The alleged proof comes in the form of a short video showing a Westerner returning change to a couple of foreign tourists after a trip in a pick-up on the holiday island.  

And do they have proof that the foreigner doesn't have a legitimate business and work permit?

Not all foreigners are illegal, so to throw the open accusation out there is wrong.

Would book one of these "illegal" european guides for my parents. 

I don't want them to be scammed by thais that don't speak their language anyway. 

Like most elderly people they only speak their local language which is german in this case and no thai there speaks anyway. ???? 

Also my dad hates incompetence, pretty much excludes all thai tourguides. 

There is no evidence that the gentleman is employed to taxi tourists around Samui whatsoever in the video.

For all, we know these could well have been friends or family that he has dropped off after they have stayed with him. And as far as I know, giving friends and family a life is not an occupation reserved for Thais. 

More xenophobic nonsense to deflect from the real reason the tour operators are seeing a drop in customers - price gouging. 

What a racist crock.  I've had some excellent Thai tour guides.

Let us know where those excellent tour guides are on Samui.

Last time i hired an official taxi there they wanted 100 USD for the ride.

Screenshot_20190509_092550.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

this is stupid. that ain't a business. guy could be just taxiing family and they pay a little fuel. i wasn't bothered to read on. Seems stupid and racist to me. 

Thais always winging but never do any work if given half a chance. Who's to blame?

Thai guides can't speak english and always try to cheat/scam a foreigner. On Bali for example it's a whole different world.

It's a complete non-story. I have spent much of the past week shuttling visiting friends around in much the same manner, not least because of the non-existant public transport on the island & ridiculous fares charged by the yellow peril; Furthermore I (we! I won't do it alone) quite often pick up couples/small groups during the school run who are obviously heading towards the ferries that are just a few hundred meters out of our way in each direction & drop them & their luggage off, adding all of 5 mins to our journey.

13 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Thai is a nationality, not a race.

'tell you what...

Come back with that fascinating distinction on one of the "Racist double pricing" threads and see what kind of reaction that gets you. 

To be honest, I agree with that statement.  But it doesn't change my point, or my characterization. 

58 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Let us know where those excellent tour guides are on Samui.

Last time i hired an official taxi there they wanted 100 USD for the ride.

Screenshot_20190509_092550.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Euh,

They have prices in Eu/USD and not in Baht in Samui?!

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

….and I thought the story would be about foreigners cleaning up the local beaches.....they don't seem to complain when that happens!

Only because the Thais are too lazy and happy to live in their own crap they don't pick up their rubbish.  But foreigners taking jobs ? A different story. Why the foreigners are probably doing an honest days work for an honest days pay if the allegations are true so guess the Thais are only upset because they are losing out on their daily scamming of foreigners.

6 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Only because the Thais are too lazy and happy to live in their own crap they don't pick up their rubbish.  But foreigners taking jobs ? A different story. Why the foreigners are probably doing an honest days work for an honest days pay if the allegations are true so guess the Thais are only upset because they are losing out on their daily scamming of foreigners.

After seeing these prices, I don’t see how someone would think otherwise!

Archived