Video: Who's to blame? CCTV shows what led to horrifying death of Chaiyaphum schoolgirl

webfact

Video: Who's to blame? CCTV shows what led to horrifying death of Chaiyaphum schoolgirl

5pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CCTV from Chaiyaphum in Thailand's north east shows the moment when a cement mixer was turning on a main road. 

This led to the death of 16 year old Nalim Napinrat whose head was crushed under the wheels of the truck.

She was on a motorcycle driven by her aunt Nongnuch Santia, 30, who escaped with severe bruising. 

Daily News said that the CCTV evidence is now in the hands of the police and will inform their actions in the case. 

The driver of the cement truck - 40 year old Kitticha Chuacharoen - was taken in for questioning after the incident but no charges have yet been made. 

Nalim, said to be 15 in a Nation news story earlier, was a M5 high school pupil at Satree Chaiyaphum School, said Daily News.

She was on her way to pay school fees for the upcoming new term with her aunt. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-09

U-Turns are death traps anyway.  This poor girl, RIP, died because as is often the case a motorcycle was being driven without due care and attention as clearly the cars in the other lanes had stopped, or almost, yet the motorcyclist just kept carrying on. The Aunt should be tried for manslaughter of her niece.

A turn across oncoming traffic should not be attempted unless you can see the road is clear enough to complete the maneuver.....so in this case the cement mixer is partly at fault....however the driver is moving slowly and cautiously as a warning to other road users,some who have clearly given way to allow him to complete....the motorcyclist is clearly oblivious to this and is not looking where she is going.....if she were she would have slowed down and yielded to the cement truck and thus averted this tragic outcome.......90% motorcyclist fault 10% cement driver.....:sad:

Based on the video, the motorcycle video was 100% at fault because she tried to squeeze through (a highly dangerous manouvere) instead of stopping like the cars did.

She should face some kind of reckless driving causing death type charge. Brain dead driving has killed that poor, innocent girl.

I have to agree the motorcycle driver  completely at fault   tons and tons of time to stop

but skids and falls over under the truck wheels at the last second   R.I.P to the teenager

Not really enough information here to apportion blame. 

1. Why is the video cut short? We need to know whether a) the truck was making a U-turn or b) the truck was turning into the premises in the foreground. We also need to know whether c) the truck stopped on time.

2. If the truck was turning into the premises in the foreground we need to ask why? Was it bringing cement to a building site and if so was it making several trips a day just like this one? This is important because then some blame can be apportioned to the building company for not having a man on the ground helping with this tricky manoeuvre across a main road.

7 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

Why is the video cut short?

Because they didn't want to show the girls head being crushed ??

9 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

the truck was turning into the premises in the foreground.

Yes it looks that way to me the driver had already straighten the wheels.

Looks to me from the video the truck driver was being careful and responsible. The motorcycle driver is 100% at fault.

It's pretty easy for the truck driver to not see a motorcycle with all the cars around, but how in the name of god does a motorcycle not see a cement truck?

15 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Poor young child ... her life gone because of what and for what!?

Lack of thought. Lack of tuition. Lack of police pointing road users where they are going wrong...

I have to say the blame lays squarely with the aunt, the truck is turning right at quite a slow speed after other vehicles gave way to him, two pick-ups are at a standstill with the inner pick-up slowing down well in advance... she under-takes and obviously cannot stop in time. In her line of view the cement truck must have been clearly visible by it's sheer size.

RIP young girl... I hope the aunt can forgive herself for her very costly mistake!

3 hours ago, Topdoc said:

Not really enough information here to apportion blame. 

1. Why is the video cut short? We need to know whether a) the truck was making a U-turn or b) the truck was turning into the premises in the foreground. We also need to know whether c) the truck stopped on time.

2. If the truck was turning into the premises in the foreground we need to ask why? Was it bringing cement to a building site and if so was it making several trips a day just like this one? This is important because then some blame can be apportioned to the building company for not having a man on the ground helping with this tricky manoeuvre across a main road.

Really?

Regardless the cement truck driver is 100% at fault because he crossed the path of oncoming traffic. Does not matter if other vehicles stopped or not. Failure to yield to oncoming traffic is the fault of the truck driver. 

Aunty should have stopped. OK she tried too late? or were the brakes bad ? Probably combination. She made a turn at last moment, couldnt control motorbike and went down. I think brakes has a major issue in this.

Cement truck was carefully taking turn and other drivers gave him that opportunity.

You learn, cars stopped in same lane you cant overtake or at least approach slowly situation.

Aunty wasnt going that fast either, so i hold it to the brakes and timing.

Sad

Auntie The Driver's fault. ???? A HUGE truck SLOWLY turning well before she ever comes on the scene. Had she not hit the brakes and skidded...she would have rammed head-on into the HUGE truck she somehow didn't notice. 

1 hour ago, DepDavid said:

Regardless the cement truck driver is 100% at fault because he crossed the path of oncoming traffic. Does not matter if other vehicles stopped or not. Failure to yield to oncoming traffic is the fault of the truck driver. 

Yes, good point especially if one looks at this exact location on street view:

Street view accident location on Chaiyaphum Sikhio Road

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This led to the death of 16 year old Nalim Napinrat whose head was crushed under the wheels of the truck.

how was she crushed under the wheels? It looks in the video like the truck has stopped as the bike skids underneath? Did he set off again?

The truck driver should have waited in the flush median (yellow line area) until there was a gap in the traffic for him to turn into the cement company driveway. That some other cars had stopped for him does not let him off for not being extra vigilant and looking down the side lane where the motorbike was riding. 

flush_median.jpg

The video, though most shocking, really doesn't surprise me.  Sorry.

If the lorry had pulled out without due regard then I'd expect the driver to take full blame.

The timing though.  I counted approximately ten seconds warning of a giant cement mixer pulling across the road.  The waiting traffic was also a major indication to the aunt to slow down.  Again, I would be very surprised if the girl was wearing a secured helmet, though wouldn't have made any difference on this particular occasion but it's there as part of the safety package that is riding on the roads, like riding with due care and attention.  I hope the driver isn't charged as he's blameless in my eyes.

I purchased a new helmet today at the local shop and was surprised to see a young 15/16 year old lad interested in the helmets.  He was with his mother.  My wife subsequently informed me that the lad quickly changed the subject to modification equipment for his bike and they both left the shop emptyhanded.  To me, that boy was another walking potential statistic, though I hope not.

6 hours ago, transam said:

If the bike rider had slammed the front brake on there may have been a different outcome...

To me it looked as though she did but was unable to stop. Possibly a genuine case of brake failure. If the engine starts, Thais don't bother with maintenance. The engine is the only necessary piece of equipment on a bike.

Archived