Keeping the bad guys out! Thais spending 2.1 BILLION baht on biometrics

webfact

22 minutes ago, flynn said:

They have some up and already running in bangkok, I arrived on the 4 may . They took prints of both hands and thumbs, 

Correct. They take 4 finger prints on each hand and thumbs.  These machines have been used in USA for sometime now.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cambodia has had the fingerprint scanner for 7 years already... Donated by Australia. At first it was used extensively entering and exiting Cambodia until long processing delays because of scan errors. Then they got the bright idea not to use it on tourists exiting the kingdom. Last 6 times I've visited Cambodia including just last week they didn't seem to be requiring people to scan. Moving those cattle right on through... Lol! 

3 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Cambodia has had the fingerprint scanner for 7 years already... Donated by Australia. At first it was used extensively entering and exiting Cambodia until long processing delays because of scan errors. Then they got the bright idea not to use it on tourists exiting the kingdom. Last 6 times I've visited Cambodia including just last week they didn't seem to be requiring people to scan. Moving those cattle right on through... Lol! 

Same for me in April leaving Phnom Penh airport, didn't use it for me entering at the Vietnam/Cambodia border either.

Did use it at Poipet/Aranyaprathet border both ways in January, Thai immigration were much slower though.

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

So no wrong guest's ….? How many taken already last years since the computers become more accurate in using them 

Shall I show you my police rapport ...but blanket the name …., I have it do you ?

In all fairness I couldn’t care less about you and your statements.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Does anyone know if this technology can/will be linked to Interpol and law enforcement agencies of other countries, to prevent 'undesirables' from entering the country in the first instance?

It can be linked worldwide. If I bad guy or good guy needs to get into Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam etc. they can and will because as long as someone needs some cash there is a way. 

I hope they use the equipment, maintain it, and it is useful to keep out some of the riffraff. There are alot of dodgy characters, who have been hiding out, very easily in Thailand, for years now. Catch them, and put them away. They benefit nobody. Not even their mothers are going to miss them, once they are locked up. 

15 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

In all fairness I couldn’t care less about you and your statements.

Than I can guess already something about you , so why even the reply....? :whistling:

I think you don't like the idea about more control  at all ...:wink:

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Does anyone know if this technology can/will be linked to Interpol and law enforcement agencies of other countries, to prevent 'undesirables' from entering the country in the first instance?

Yes, and growing...

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

With a bit of luck this will necessitate an upgrade to the overall Immigration systems, making the 90 day and Online address reporting service more reliable. I believe that they still manually input the info from TM6 cards as well. Let's see.

wishful thinking

1 hour ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

used it in Singapore recently and it was a piece of cake....in a little slower out fast track

6 minutes ago, batata said:

without prejudice but do have doubts about Thais being able to operate such type of service on such a short time frame

Not a short time frame at all.

It was promised by Prawit to be 'up and running within six months'. It was only 14 February 2018 when he promised it:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1025048-foreigner-database-to-be-ready-in-six-months/

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Not a short time frame at all.

It was promised by Prawit to be 'up and running within six months'. It was only 14 February 2018 when he promised it:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1025048-foreigner-database-to-be-ready-in-six-months/

dam, that's a good one, thks for the update with a little bit of luck they will be ready by next year Xmas time

I'd register for a "trusted" agent program if they had one, and it cancelled out low tech procedures like the 24 hour report upon return/TM30.  

Fly in.  I/O scans PP.  Asked if you're still at the same address (written on the arrival card).

Yes.

Same phone number?

Yes. 

Stamp. 

You're done.

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I'd register for a "trusted" agent program if they had one, and it cancelled out low tech procedures like the 24 hour report upon return/TM30.  

Fly in.  I/O scans PP.  Asked if you're still at the same address (written on the arrival card).

Yes.

Same phone number?

Yes. 

Stamp. 

You're done.

Sounds great.

It just reminds of this though:

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And if works they will pay the company on July 2nd.

Maybe, hopefully.

Always courageous to do business with Thai government agencies.

Probably they will work as well as the bomb detectors the Thais bought a few years back. The kick backs though were a great success story no doubt.

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Probably they will work as well as the bomb detectors the Thais bought a few years back. The kick backs though were a great success story no doubt.

True. They probably haven't realised they've signed up for the 'economy version':

image.png.c41b510146621125e02c31245f382f1f.png

Are these machines only to check identity or do they also serve as 'passport machines' to cancel the need for manual stamping?

If they don't serve both purposes seems to me something lacking when the overall specs / scope was agreed, failure to take advantage of an opportunity to get into new hi-technology on two fronts at the same time. 

Archived