Keeping the bad guys out! Thais spending 2.1 BILLION baht on biometrics

webfact

18 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Probably they will work as well as the bomb detectors the Thais bought a few years back. The kick backs though were a great success story no doubt.

It's a German company working in the field since 1995.

They seem to know what they are doing:

https://www.dermalog.com/

Border control in Singapore among many others.

I don't believe the Singaporeans are stupid enough to buy toy stuff.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I'd register for a "trusted" agent program if they had one, and it cancelled out low tech procedures like the 24 hour report upon return/TM30.  

Fly in.  I/O scans PP.  Asked if you're still at the same address (written on the arrival card).

Yes.

Same phone number?

Yes. 

Stamp. 

You're done.

Then make a beeline to Dirty Ole Sailor's... 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais spending 2.1 BILLION baht on biometrics

A miserable 2.1 billion baht to keep out the little bad people. The real big bad people are already here cunningly disguised as politicians, corrupt civil servants and military generals.

Things should be kept in context. Thai Airways loses 200 billion a year and the State Railways of Thailand loses 100 billion. So 2.1 billion is peanuts. 

7 hours ago, LongTang said:

I think it will keep more then just the bad guys out..

Who in his right mind will want to give his Biometrics to a military regime?

I have a UK Biometric passport. USA and UK airports are using FR which cuts out check in and passport being shown. It's nothing to fo with bad guys but it does decrease wait time.

7 hours ago, happy chappie said:

The technology is way above their heads.when these machines go wrong they will cause nothing but headaches and longer queues.

I flew out of DMK this afternoon. One immigration line was trying out the biometric fingerprinting.  Most people in line , including me, moved to the adjacent line as the biometric line was impossibly slow .   Probably to be expected until they get fully trained . 

4 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Probably they will work as well as the bomb detectors the Thais bought a few years back. The kick backs though were a great success story no doubt.

...along with mexico, iraq, pakistan and several african countries, to name a few. it was quite a scam.

Archived