Renew Retirement Extension at Phuket Immigration to day.

36 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I understood, for the UK, that a Foreign Office audit had recommended additional cost cuts, which included to discontinue issue of income letters for Brits in Thailand.

IMO, the current British government is a waste of space.

”Cost cuts” The embassies / consulates actually make money on this, I pay 1500 baht for 2 minutes work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DuiDui48 said:

Thanks for your report.

Question:Why -Copy Atm card or credit card.??

Since OP did not provide any banking documentation, he had to show an ATM card or credit card as proof that he could support himself financially in Thailand.

A visa agent in Pattaya said those who do the 800k method retirement and leave their Thai bank account dormant from year to year should be prepared to show Immigration how they support themselves throughout the year.

He also said to be prepared to answer the additional question of ‘what do you live on?’ if you are one of those that keep this amount continually on deposit and the account shows no activity. He said to answer this question, you can show a bank book for an additional account which you use for living expenses or ATM slips showing your withdrawal of money from an overseas account.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/pcec-given-an-update-on-new-thai-immigration-long-stay-extension-rules-253689

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

”Cost cuts” The embassies / consulates actually make money on this, I pay 1500 baht for 2 minutes work.

That was the message provided by Bangkok Embassy. With all due respect, I could envisage a full-time clerk/typist tasked with vetting each application, then obtaining a manager's review and letter signature, and providing a postal service, plus also entering into communications with some applicants.

Apart from his/her salary, staff welfare costs and office space with furniture and equipment, there would be a need to have a trained fill-in person in case of absence or a wealth of applications or contentious queries. 

Costing all together, it could be ascertained that while a profit could be made, it was more a sideline than a necessary service - in their opinion. Given that the UK goverment is selling the Embassy and staff would have to be housed in smaller but still pricy accommodation, any staff cuts to free up space would be advantageous.   

I am also affected as my extension route is the monthly income method, but I hope that my agent will tell me exactly what I need to produce for Imm to enable my application to be granted. While I pay an agent for this, I do save the 1,500 Embassy cost. 

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

That was the message provided by Bangkok Embassy. With all due respect, I could envisage a full-time clerk/typist tasked with vetting each application, then obtaining a manager's review and letter signature, and providing a postal service, plus also entering into communications with some applicants.

Apart from his/her salary, staff welfare costs and office space with furniture and equipment, there would be a need to have a trained fill-in person in case of absence or a wealth of applications or contentious queries. 

Costing all together, it could be ascertained that while a profit could be made, it was more a sideline than a necessary service - in their opinion. Given that the UK goverment is selling the Embassy and staff would have to be housed in smaller but still pricy accommodation, any staff cuts to free up space would be advantageous.   

I am also affected as my extension route is the monthly income method, but I hope that my agent will tell me exactly what I need to produce for Imm to enable my application to be granted. While I pay an agent for this, I do save the 1,500 Embassy cost. 

And the agent cost you ?.  

Pretty certain that the reason given by the British Embassy was not cost cuts,  but the fact that they could not actually prove that the income was there,  and there were enough scams going on with supposed property income. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nasa123 said:

In fact, I do not know but they require it no copy no extension.

I assume you redacted sufficient detail to protect yourself against fraudulent activity? If not it's in everyone's interest to politely but firmly refuse!

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, SEtonal said:

Since OP did not provide any banking documentation, he had to show an ATM card or credit card as proof that he could support himself financially in Thailand.

A visa agent in Pattaya said those who do the 800k method retirement and leave their Thai bank account dormant from year to year should be prepared to show Immigration how they support themselves throughout the year.

He also said to be prepared to answer the additional question of ‘what do you live on?’ if you are one of those that keep this amount continually on deposit and the account shows no activity. He said to answer this question, you can show a bank book for an additional account which you use for living expenses or ATM slips showing your withdrawal of money from an overseas account.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/pcec-given-an-update-on-new-thai-immigration-long-stay-extension-rules-253689

Yes.  This shows how proving income can be problematic and at some point, even if using the 800K method, one may still end up having to show monthly in transfers?  Tell some other sort of transfer story, show some transfers in, say every 3 months, or whatever.  So even if one say put 800 k on deposit, presumably satisfying all requirements, then travels into Thailand with 10,000 USD once or twice a year as they return home for a quick business checkup or other reason, the Thais would not accept that for another renewal. Just thinking out loud that showing income is possibly going to become more and more important

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

Because those embassies care more about themselves than the people they are supposed to serve.  They jumped at the opportunity to do less work for a group of people they clearly despise.

Data protection legislation coupled with a lack of man hours rendered the ridiculous request from the Thai authorities beyond their reach. If the Thai's were to do it themselves via Embassies in those countries (it is after all information that THEY are seeking and has no relevance whatsoever to the home Govt) they wouldn't find verification any easier.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Data protection legislation coupled with a lack of man hours rendered the ridiculous request from the Thai authorities beyond their reach. If the Thai's were to do it themselves via Embassies in those countries (it is after all information that THEY are seeking and has no relevance whatsoever to the home Govt) they wouldn't find verification any easier.

HTH

Doing nothing was an option pursued by every other embassy to the benefit of their citizens.  Their action in unilaterally stopping the letters was an unforced error due to incompetence, laziness, and barely disguised contempt for their citizens.
Can you name one benefit those embassies achieved by their ill-considered and petulant actions?

HTH

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Doing nothing was an option pursued by every other embassy to the benefit of their citizens.  Their action in unilaterally stopping the letters was an unforced error due to incompetence, laziness, and barely disguised contempt for their citizens.
Can you name one benefit those embassies achieved by their ill-considered and petulant actions?

HTH

- Less man hours in their notary section?

- More staff able to assist elsewhere inc within the Kingdom or able to deploy regionally (SE Asia) at short notice during emergencies?

How did 'Every Other Embassy' skirt around Data Protection legislation in their homelands? My guess is that they didn't and (if right) the Thai's are no longer pushing as hard because they have seen the completely avoidable disruption that they caused.

10 minutes ago, skatewash said:

HTH

Absolute rubbish the Australian Embassy including when they visit Chiang Mai are still providing the same services as before including the certification of documents for which they charge a fee.

Read my post above and check your facts before posting nonsense.

They only stopped certifying income verification documents ((StatutoryDeclarations) because of the demands placed on them by Thai Immigration

In my case I receive a non government pension from Australia in order to meet the Thai Immigration requirements the Embassy in order to verify that the informationI stated in my declaration is correct they would have to contact my pension fund in Australia.

For the reasons stated by evadgib and the fact that my pension fund wouldn’t release the information without my written authority do you now understand the problem ??

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

In my case I receive a non government pension from Australia in order to meet the Thai Immigration requirements the Embassy in order to verify that the informationI stated in my declaration is correct they would have to contact my pension fund in Australia. For the reasons stated by evadgib and the fact that my pension fund wouldn’t release the information without my written authority do you now understand the problem ??

A mate of mine lived and worked in New Zealand for 40 years but he was born in Australia, has never held NZ citizenship and has a retirement visa & extensions in his Australian passport based on monthly income.  Given that his financial affairs including income tax would be NZ-based, how could the Australian government possibly verify his income?

Edited by ThaiBunny

13 minutes ago, skatewash said:

The four embassies decided to stop providing the letter on their own initiative, no one forced them to do anything.  The other embassies that continue to provide this service do exactly what they have always been doing and didn't see fit to unilaterally stop providing a service that was useful to both their citizens and Thai Immigration.  I don't see why that simple fact is lost on some people commenting.  

The answers you have received couldn't have been clearer and would be supported by an FoI request if any doubts remain. For Brits this falls into a category known as "The Embassy ain't doin' Nuffink" but in reality it usually means that the person hasn't done any homework or worse still, has listened to a bloke-in-a-pub. (???? )

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The answers you have received couldn't have been clearer and would be supported by an FoI request if any doubts remain.

Exactly, unfortunately some people just don’t want to accept what is reality.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RandG said:

Pretty certain that the reason given by the British Embassy was not cost cuts,  but the fact that they could not actually prove that the income was there,  and there were enough scams going on with supposed property income. 

Grateful you give some examples or was that just a rough assumption?

41 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I don’t know about the other countries but for the Australian Embassy all they were doing was witnessing the signature on a Statutory Declaration where the applicant attested to the fact that they were were receiving X amount of income.

For this service which took a couple of minutes they charged a not unsubstantial fee.

From the enquiries I made the Australia Embassy was prepared to continue the service but were overruled by Canberra ( Australia) because the Thai Immigration want them to verify that the information stated in the Statutory Declaration was factual and that is not their role.

So perhaps the blame has to be laid at the correct door which includes the expats who have been providing false information.

"So perhaps the blame has to be laid at the correct door which includes the expats who have been providing false information."

There're a lot of these throw away statements appearing on here, so grateful you give actual examples of people "providing false information".

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, nasa123 said:

Its Australia,England,Usa and Denmark some make the problem for the own people whay ?

At the Danish Embassy they employ very lazy people working slow so the work load for visas mean that they don't want to bother with pension letters - I just saw they look for 2 new employees that speaks Vietnamese … its a weird place