New mandatory insurance. What happens if Im already in the SS insurance system?

I read this thread:

But what about those of us who previously worked at government schools and quit. Now we pay the 400baht a month and have access to the 

government hospital social security system. 

Surely we will not be forced to buy a private policy?

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The rule seems to pertain to O-A visas obtained in one's home country and might not apply to extensions of stay under other visa types  though this needs clarification.

In any case there is no requirement to have a private policy, just insurance that covers at least 400k hospital costs and 40k outpatient costs.  SS cover more than qualifies for this.

I’m retired military so I’m covered by TRICARE and the VA, however you don’t actually have to show proof of coverage unless you’re age 50 and above right?  

The rule seems to pertain to O-A visas obtained in one's home country and might not apply to extensions of stay under other visa types  though this needs clarification.

In any case there is no requirement to have a private policy, just insurance that covers at least 400k hospital costs and 40k outpatient costs.  SS cover more than qualifies for this.

Actually never mind my last question. I looked into it and I’m good even if I did have to show it. Plus it sounds like it’s only for new Visas anyway. When I turn 50 years old though at least I’m already prepared if they do start requiring it for extensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

30 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Marriage to a Thai ex-government employee!

Or even to be paying into the Thai social-security system after you retire.

Hopefully this will work as it's my backstop for when I can finally afford to retire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Hopefully this will work as it's my backstop for when I can finally afford to retire.

How does that work you mean it can only work if you have been working for a Thai company.

If you've come from home country and been retired here 14 years already I don't think you can get on the Thai social-security system.

4 hours ago, theboogeyman said:

I’m retired military so I’m covered by TRICARE and the VA, however you don’t actually have to show proof of coverage unless you’re age 50 and above right?  

The way that this is written, I'm assuming that you are from the USA.  Does your TRICARE and the VA pay for medical services in a foreign country?  

22 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

The way that this is written, I'm assuming that you are from the USA.  Does your TRICARE and the VA pay for medical services in a foreign country?  

Yes.  Conditions apply.  Some hospitals accept and will direct bill some you submit the bill to VA and they send you a check.  I checked with the hospital and set up direct bill before I had any problems.  Details with American military. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

How does that work you mean it can only work if you have been working for a Thai company.

If you've come from home country and been retired here 14 years already I don't think you can get on the Thai social-security system.

only via marriage to thai lady who is govt worker OR working for govt school or uni in teaching role

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes.  Conditions apply.  Some hospitals accept and will direct bill some you submit the bill to VA and they send you a check.  I checked with the hospital and set up direct bill before I had any problems.  Details with American military

That's a very good benefit if it will cover medical services in Thailand.  Does it cover all hospitals or maybe there is a list of approved hospitals?

41 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes.  Conditions apply.  Some hospitals accept and will direct bill some you submit the bill to VA and they send you a check.  I checked with the hospital and set up direct bill before I had any problems.  Details with American military

Does the US Medicare system also cover those that are eligible if they are in Thailand?

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Does the US Medicare system also cover those that are eligible if they are in Thailand?

No, US Medicare is only available in the USA.  However if you have coverage from a private insurance company like Humana, United healthcare etc, then some of their plans will cover world wide, but this coverage is travel coverage. They will not cover you if they know you are living outside the USA.

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Sadly that's the case. If you have been working and paying into the Thai social security system you can continue paying after you retire and maintain the health benefits. Pretty minimal but much better than nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So if I have USA Medicare, which basically only works in the USA.  But why should somebody have to buy Thai Medical insurance, unless of course it is mandated?  I and many others would prefer to just self insure, and barring a total disaster, take some pain pills, get some short term care to stabilize things and then get on a plane back to the States for treatment. I can understand the desire to have convenient coverage in Thailand, but the necessity of it?  That is debatable.   If I had a significant health issue, in general I don't think I would want to be treated in Thailand. Granted I have heard of some great treatments, and prices there, so good medical in Thailand does happen. 

Still no answers if this changes those with a Type O Marriage Visa. The article talks about type O-A . Also no discussion of those with a Type O visa that you can get with NO bank account in Savannakhet Laos. Where is UbonJoe when you need him?

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

What other way is there to be health insured. ?

A person could maintain money in the bank to cover any hospitalization. This could well apply to older people who cannot get insurance. It would also cover those who might well have exclusions that effectively render the insurance near useless. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Still no answers if this changes those with a Type O Marriage Visa. The article talks about type O-A . Also no discussion of those with a Type O visa that you can get with NO bank account in Savannakhet Laos. Where is UbonJoe when you need him?

It is only to apply for a OA long stay visa at a embassy or official consulate in you home country.

Just read the first line of the news article and you will see that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Yes.

Medicare however does not cover you while living in a foreign country.

Most of the people I know think it does, which is false.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

After you retire, make sure you keep yourself well covered on the monthly payments, especially if you spend some time overseas. Use a reliable bank (not Krungthai) to make the payments for you and keep your account well topped up. I say this because I just lost my SS - 50% my fault, 100% Krungthai's. KTB shut off my internet access after I did not access my account for 30 days. I thought I had enough money to keep the monthly payment going, but after I returned to Thailand, found I didn't, and my SS, which I had paid into for 23 years, was cancelled (3 months non-payment rule). I'm devastated.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

My insurance OPD states maximum limit per visit 2500 (max 1 visit per day & 30 visits per policy year which totals 75k, will this be accepted by immigration or will they simply say "need 40k per visit" refused extension!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Immigration do not ask you for medical insurance.