Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

snoop1130

10 hours ago, hashmodha said:

I would like to take a bet Cambodian, Vietnam, Mynmar illegal Labourers are a significant part of this   Problem...why are the Hospitals taking on patients who cannot pay?...

That is a good point which perhaps explains the figures.

explains the figures

• Like 1

What nationality's are involved,???? just the other day a Lao women told me she would apply for a Thai working permit in order to be insured under the 30 bath Thai medical health scheme, expecting major surgery to be included in this FREE insurance. 

So without discriminating, there should be a more detailed explanation of the 'foreigners who don't pay their bills'

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

The non imm oa (longstay visa) is valid for 12 months, if you leave and return Thailand just before the expiry date you get stamped in for another year. During this 2nd year you can do an extension to stay based being over 50 yrs or marriage or ..... You can however also return home and apply for another non imm oa visa. Many people do this as they are not required to show B 800k or B 65k/month inside Thailand. If you however apply outside your home country for a longstay visa it is an non imm o visa (longstay visa). This visa can also be extended based on 50 + or marriage or ... .

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How does Mango Bob do this.

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

This is not for the normal retirement visa right?  

O - A visa.... just the one for a year - that can be extended?  If so, am I correct in thinking that its only people over 50 on the O - A visa that need to get this medical insurance, and not the people on retirement visas with the required money in the bank?

If that is the case, what is all this panic about?

O-A visa also requires 800.000 not in a Thai bank, but in the country which they are applying from.

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

This is not for the normal retirement visa right?  

O - A visa.... just the one for a year - that can be extended?  If so, am I correct in thinking that its only people over 50 on the O - A visa that need to get this medical insurance, and not the people on retirement visas with the required money in the bank?

If that is the case, what is all this panic about?

Because i am 83 yrs old and on an O-A. Who is going to give me cover even though i am as fit as any 60 yr old and fitter than most.  That's why i am panicking i will have to desert my Thai family. 

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Let's not do this again. A "renewal" refers to renewing something you had before i.e. the visa. An Extension is completely different. In fact, the OA visa isn't renewed, you just apply for a new one at an overseas Consulate or Embassy. Mr Natthawut is confused or being incorrectly quoted. Newspapers are not renowned for getting all their facts right.

Stop relying on one misquoted or badly translated individual.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am confused too. I have been using O-A for several years now, i leave the country just before it expires, fly down to KL and back and get stamped in for a further 12 months with 90 day reporting. Then return to Australia on expiration and get another one from the Canberra embassy. Looks like my days in Thailand are over after 12 years because my age eludes me from getting insurance and i will have to desert my little Thai family, how cruel is that Mr Natthawut.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:58 PM, Gecko123 said:

If an O-A visa is a long stay retirement visa issued outside of Thailand and medical insurance is now required for this visa, what possible basis is there for hoping that the medical insurance requirement will not soon be required for all retirement (and possibly all long-stay) type visas? I can't see any cause for hope. Am I missing something?

Well,

O Visa holders doing extensions must keep 400,000 THB in the bank all year round.

O-A visa holders now have to carry 400,000/40,000 THB inpatient/outpatient cover, no money in a Thai Bank.

Am I understanding this right and can we hope that makes sense and stops there?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

If a foreigner already has insurance provided by an agent overseas, the policy must provide the same amount of coverage, Dr Nutthawut said.

If you have insurance from an insurance agent overseas, that policy will be honored as long as it has enough coverage to cover the amount stated in the requirements above.

My mate tells me that he can get unlimited hospital insurance from his Aussie company at 23.600 bht 60-69 yrs per year and 32.736 bht per year unlimited to 75 yrs. I dont know what Thai insurance will cost those age groups.

6 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Also consider the thousands of foreigner who have decided not to buy a condo because they may not be assured a visa to live in it...

6 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Also consider the thousands of foreigner who have decided not to buy a condo because they may not be assured a visa to live in it...

I bet cabinet  did'nt consider that one when they approved it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chipkimberimd said:

Well,

O Visa holders doing extensions must keep 400,000 THB in the bank all year round.

O-A visa holders now have to carry 400,000/40,000 THB inpatient/outpatient cover, no money in a Thai Bank.

Am I understanding this right and can we hope that makes sense and stops there?

what about Non O-A visa EXTENSION holders? Don't they have to have the money in a Thaibank too?

2 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

what about Non O-A visa EXTENSION holders? Don't they have to have the money in a Thaibank too?

Extension holders don’t have visas; their extensions are granted on the basis of marriage or retirement, with the appropriate money in the bank - or evidence of income.

5 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Yeah, good point.

I guess I was thinking of getting the O-A, stay for 2 years by leaving just before the expiration and then returning to my home country for another O-A and repeating. 

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Extension holders don’t have visas; their extensions are granted on the basis of marriage or retirement, with the appropriate money in the bank - or evidence of income.

which was exactly my point

3 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

which was exactly my point

Surely the point is that this thread is about the insurance requirement, that ONLY applies to Non Immigrant ‘O-A’ Visa holders....

After reading about this on Tuesday morning, and after reading hundreds of posts on two threads I've come to the conclusion that no one is 100% sure if they are affected or not by this Compulsory health insurance.  Many people have different perceptions of what has been written, what has been said, and who it affects.  From day one I found it hard to believe that this new rule would only affect a small minorty of people over the age of 50.  I'm on an extension, but until this new requirement comes into affect in July, I'm not counting my chickens.  Not until I hear news from an official source and not from a forum/newspaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am feeling very sorry for a lot of my mates still in Thailand, it just gets worse and worse. 

Yeah, I live in Thailand and boy do I feel sorry for a lot of your “mates” as well because if they’re from the UK or Australia they’re getting a really horrible Exchange Rate. But as usual the USD is doing great [emoji106] I absolutely love it here [emoji2].

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

39 minutes ago, essexman said:

After reading about this on Tuesday morning, and after reading hundreds of posts on two threads I've come to the conclusion that no one is 100% sure if they are affected or not by this Compulsory health insurance.  Many people have different perceptions of what has been written, what has been said, and who it affects.  From day one I found it hard to believe that this new rule would only affect a small minorty of people over the age of 50.  I'm on an extension, but until this new requirement comes into affect in July, I'm not counting my chickens.  Not until I hear news from an official source and not from a forum/newspaper.

I agree with you.  No matter what the so-called experts say here I believe it includes those on extensions of stay.  They are just playing word games here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Surely the point is that this thread is about the insurance requirement, that ONLY applies to Non Immigrant ‘O-A’ Visa holders....

only? you dont know that. they mentioned renewals and no one knows what that means.

5 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

How does Mango Bob do this.

I do nothing different than others.  I got my O/A at the consulate in NY.  Came here did my extension of stay each year for 13 years.  There is nothing special about what I did.  I transfer more than 65,000 each month got the letter of income form the Embassy and followed the rules.  Now they want me to have health insurance.  Lucky my extension is 27 July so I will do it in late June to miss the insurance this year.  But I have Tricare for Life which is 10 times better than the crap they are offering here but how do you prove to a Thai IO.  No one knows yet and it is only a month away.  I think they need to come up with another date farther out to give people time after they decide what the hell they do.  I really hate this crap, but I am staying.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

only? you dont know that. they mentioned renewals and no one knows what that means.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369468 - “Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal". My assumption is that the Thais who aren't involved in immigration directly refer to extensions as renewals - see Siam Legal's page on retirement visas for Australians which is typical - "The visa is renewable every year and can be renewed inside Thailand (applicant must meet the requirements for the visa renewal)." http://australia.siam-legal.com/Thailand-Retirement-Visa-for-Australian-Citizens.php

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369468 - “Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal". My assumption is that the Thais who aren't involved in immigration directly refer to extensions as renewals - see Siam Legal's page on retirement visas for Australians which is typical - "The visa is renewable every year and can be renewed inside Thailand (applicant must meet the requirements for the visa renewal)." http://australia.siam-legal.com/Thailand-Retirement-Visa-for-Australian-Citizens.php

Obviously. Without any doubt at all.

The doubt here is whether the information quoted (and considering translations issues) by that guy is actually accurate. But as translated it was DEFINITELY about extensions in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

and an assumption is not the same as knowing for a fact. the requirement might apply for those already on extensions resulting from expired Non O-A visas not JUST holders of O-A visas

Edited by AYJAYDEE

and an assumption is not the same as knowing for a fact. the requirement might apply for those already on extensions resulting from expired Non O-A visas not JUST holders of O-A visas

Yes, I think the problem is that all those ignorant Thais who talk about "renewals" would benefit for some straight talking by the experts on TV

• Haha 1

and an assumption is not the same as knowing for a fact

You are correct of course but be mindful, as I am sure you have noticed, that an assumption by many TV members become "facts" in their own minds after reading their own posts multiple times in order to reinforce their own knowledge ????

• Like 1

I am 83 have no insurance, cannot get it, my health is as good as any 60 yr old and better than most and have had only 3 hospital visits in 12 years. One private, was taken there by Samui Rescue ambulance, stayed overnight and payed the 26.000 bht bill before leaving, i have been to government hospital twice, but to outpatients and once again paid the bill before leaving. So i really am questioning all these unpaid bills with retirees.   Something is not right here, also why do some have to have health insurance and others are excused.  At the same time, tourists are excused health insurance, when these are the ones most likely to skip the country. I have two pensions and able to live comfortably.
If you are on an Extension of Stay based on retirement it won't affect you, as currently they are only talking about OA visas, and OX visas which have had the insurance requirement for some time.

If you are on an Extension of Stay based on retirement it won't affect you, as currently they are only talking about OA visas, and OX visas which have had the insurance requirement for some time.

Unfortunately Huckenfell gets a new OA from OZ every 2 years so without a doubt is affected by this new rule.
Of course he can get an extension by depositing or transfers to a Thai bank account, which I presume he has been avoiding, hence getting a new OA.
The loophole which the OA provided has been sussed !!

Options now are, pay the mandatory health insurance ( if possible ) or extend and deal with the financial requirements.
I don’t believe mandatory health insurance is required for extensions............yet !!
  • Like 1