Get O-A visa now - Before health insurance requirement?

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry Marcus, but I tried ALL of them. And emailed some link, expatmagazinethailand.com and got the answer from that the compulsory insurance is 1000% confirmed for over 50s with O-A Visas, but no information about Retirement Extensions.

Could YOU actually put a year of birth less than 1955?

Ya, mine is 1945.  Is this the link you tried? https://longstay.tgia.org/

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I tried pacific cross, AXA and Bangkok.  Prices from 70 to 100

With sufficient cover for the new rules, ie 400k in patient and 40k out? 

Edited by wgdanson

If your 12 months extension to stayed is based on retirement is that not a non O and got from immigration, an O-A comes from a consulate or embassy, why would you need an O-A?

Check this link mandatory health insurance seems to be O-A not over 50 on retirement extension.

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/35298/mandatory-health-insurance-for-foreigners-aged-over-50-in-thailand-why-it-may-not-affect-you

IMO this health insurance requirement will eventually apply to all long stay visas. At the moment, terms have only been settled for the O-X visa. Conditions for the O-A visa are awaited. As both of these visa categories have financial requirements, it can only be a matter of time before Non-O-Retirement visas have to meet the same conditions. I have insurance in place, but it does not have out-patient cover. Things they are a'changing ...

• Like 1

IMO this health insurance requirement will eventually apply to all long stay visas. At the moment, terms have only been settled for the O-X visa. Conditions for the O-A visa are awaited. As both of these visa categories have financial requirements, it can only be a matter of time before Non-O-Retirement visas have to meet the same conditions. I have insurance in place, but it does not have out-patient cover. Things they are a'changing ...
A non-Immigrant O visa is not really a long-stay visa as it only gives 90 days. If you mean that the insurance requirements might be applied to Extensions of Stay based on retirement, you could be right but there is no indication of that yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Does anyone know if I were to put another 440,000 in the bank on top of my 800,000, I would be able to avoid having to insure?

Firstly, at the moment there is no obligation to have insurance except what is required for a Non-Imm OX Visa and being proposed for an OA Visa. 

If ever insurance becomes obligatory, it will be obligatory, money in the bank is not Health Insurance. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Firstly, at the moment there is no obligation to have insurance except what is required for a Non-Imm OX Visa and being proposed for an OA Visa. 

If ever insurance becomes obligatory, it will be obligatory, money in the bank is not Health Insurance. 

perhaps it could be structured like a performance bond

Just now, AYJAYDEE said:

perhaps it could be structured like a performance bond

Could be, should be, maybe. Let us say I would prefer to 'self insure' if it was ever obligatory and that would be accepted in lieu of. There are no 'exclusions' or weasel words to worry over wrt money in my bank account. Maybe the wife wanting to spend it!

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 8:24 AM, mfd101 said:

Noone knows but the response to (1) is: Possibly. And to (2): Quite likely.

Good question Spambot. i guess it all comes down to "will they honour the condition under which they sold you the O-A visa.  Bearing mind that those conditions were probably the reason that you bought the O-A visa, as it was with me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Does anyone know if I were to put another 440,000 in the bank on top of my 800,000, I would be able to avoid having to insure?

Actually i am wondering what the 800.000 that we have to show  is for ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And NONE of them will let you put any year before 1955 into their quote engine.

Full medical would be required, with Bht 7500 refund IF they offer you a policy, at a very high premium.

This is a real problem and very discriminately.   So can the Thai govt find some kind of cover for those over the age of insurance acceptance? Perhaps allow them to join the Thai public hospital cover for a reasonable rate.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

On the long stay insurance site  (https://longstay.tgia.org/) this company appears to allow people to apply up to the age of 100. THE VIRIYAH INSURANCE PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED

I agree the schedule of premiums doesn't say something like "Renewal Only" (some of the others do) but I'd like to see something in writing that says they'll accept a new application from a 99 year old

36 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I agree the schedule of premiums doesn't say something like "Renewal Only" (some of the others do) but I'd like to see something in writing that says they'll accept a new application from a 99 year old

Only if accompanied by both parents.

• Haha 1