VIDEO: Na Jomtien beach polluted with putrid wastewater - tourists urged to stay away

rooster59

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Actually,Thailand is pretty much all armpits.Rampant greed coupled with laziness and cargo-cultism leads to the inevitable.."we don't mind and you don't matter."

Yes. As you can see it was "heavy rains" that caused it again!! Nothing to do with the incompetent plebs that cannot do their jobs!????????????

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Think I first visited Pattaya in the late 90s and it was a $hithole then. Anybody know the approx year/years it all went wrong??

My work sent me here in 1979

only 1.4 million visitors to Thailand that year. It was totally a buyers market. You

would cry if I told you the cost of food, rent , ‘’entertainment’’

Ect. Slowly things went down hill, till in 1985 TAT announced

plans to pitch ‘’resorts’ like 

Pattaya as a retirement mecca. 

I laughed for days when I heard that. But for my money

1987 was the year that signaled the golden age of good times at dirt cheap

prices days were numbered. 

TAT launched ‘ The year long promotion internationally. Visit Thailand. Also the year that

’’ sky scrapers ‘’sprouted along

Sukhumvit road in Bangkok. By

mid 1988 the skyline was changed to accommodate the

unstoppable future we now

exist in. Roughly 40 million 

tourists a year( do they factor

in Visa runs ?) I could add the

internet and cell phones as big influences both good and bad

that affected life here Thai’s were shocked to learn that there were countries and even 

continents that existed outside

the borders of Thailand. But

they quickly realized they were

Overstocked with the best universal bait to attract people 

ready and willing to part with

cash for what they didn’t have at home. I am of course referring to the thousands of 

beautiful temples that dot the country. I am holding out the

slimiest of chances that god

does exist. Based solely on the fact I ended up here in 1979 and had 8 of the best years of my life before the handwriting was on the wall in 1987 and the pace picked up towards what we find in Thailand in 2019. It’s still overall a wonderful place. If your prepared for it.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

District official Pankum Kittitorakul said heavy rains had caused had caused waste water to flow into the ocean. 

Pankum also requested that people stop sharing pictures of the beach as the condition of the beach is improving daily and is almost back to normal. 

Respect for nature, people and the environment has never existed on this planet! I marvel at the rise of Pattaya as a luxury family resort!

The only culprit is rain! ????????????

I hope Mr. Pankum's advice is not followed, everyone has to see what people do for money!

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A sad black eye for those Jomtien braggarts who bad mouth Pattaya with claims Jomtien beach is "pristine".

But I guess if the tourists stay away the solitude over the weekend could be nice..

If you are referencing the article do you know where Na Jomtien is?

It is actually the opposite side of Pattaya to Jomtien........

Even so I agree Jomtien beach is hardly "pristine" any more.

What the heck is wrong w this Thailand government? They are generally and genuinely throwing this beautiful country away day by day.

use the military to construct a WW treatment plant ASAP or you won’t have a country long.

something is not right here!! 

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Think I first visited Pattaya in the late 90s and it was a $hithole then. Anybody know the approx year/years it all went wrong??

I came here 1980s first time.    One time here at Jomptien the royal family were at Jomptien beach near to dong tang police, and were swimming there, afterwoods they stopped the motorcade on second road corner Pattaya land soi 1, open air eating place, and ate before returning to Bangkok..........never saw them after that,  that maybe tells us why  ???   many years later ALL Pattaya beach road was torn up, huge pipes laid that eventually went past Bali Hi, and beyond the pier as it is now.....so all that for what  ???

Must be nice being a local gov official without a sewage treatment plant, so that you never have to take responsibility for sewage leaks.   They investigate.  Same as they did the last time.  And the time before that. 

Investigation involves lighting incense and praying that it doesn't rain again for a while.  Or, if it does, pray the leak happens in another Chief's local jurisdiction so he has to endure 3 days of bludgeoning on Facebook, until the water looks "normal" again. 

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

District official Pankum Kittitorakul said heavy rains had caused had caused waste water to flow into the ocean

Heavy rains flowing into the sea .! Blimey who'd have thought that .. 

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Last time I was in Pattaya quite a few years ago, I got staph infections on my feet from the water park. I could hardly walk and very painful!

With all sympathy for your ailment, You could have spared us the high resolution pictures of your hairy pus infected foot..   Just saying.. :whistling:

I have long had a concern that the rate of building in Pattaya and surrounding areas is being achieved with little to no thought on the necessary infrastructure need to maintain it, and I am not talking just about water management, but include roads and electricity.  A walk down Pattaya second road, near third road,  after heavy rainfall involves wading in half a metre of water and putting up with the stench of raw sewerage, this is something the Romans managed 2,000 years ago and I wonder how long it will take for Thailand to catch up 

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Actually,Thailand is pretty much all armpits.Rampant greed coupled with laziness and cargo-cultism leads to the inevitable.."we don't mind and you don't matter."

Why dos' the World Health Organisation step in and other countries force Thailand prosecute the officials who are supposed to do something. And investigate Where the money goes check their wealth, banks and properties they have and where the money came from.

All tourist countries should warn their citizens of the dangers to their healt. Then maybe (in our dreams) the top government officials like the PM will and could make it happen.

The Thai officials and the likes of TAT and others put more blaim in bad tourists to hide their blaim. 

9 minutes ago, peter14 said:

I dont know why people stuck with Thailand...  overrated. Philippines and Indonesia much better. Visa are easy and life much cheaper.... lived in both countries.  Thailand is headache and really dangerous everywhere....

Stuck in a long-term relationship...that's my excuse, and I guess it applies to many guys here. Can't just walk away from her. But if I was single I sure wouldn't put up with Thailand's BS for another minute.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

early to mid 80s it was fine, great place to holiday.  I lived in Hong Kong at the time and we would come here for a long weekend to get away from the crowds and pollution of HK.  

By the late eighties the waters were already un-swim able! I was living in Bangkok then, 14:00 each and every Friday the one road out of Bangkok was turned into a "one way" system to accommodate the mass exodus on route to "Phattaya" It didn't take long for those with families to realise that if they wanted their kids to stay alive be wise to stay outside town where the water was cleaner, that quickly changed into staying out of town at a resort with a swimming pool & banning the kids from entering the "water".

"The Jewel of Asia" as it was known at one time for its pristine waters - was no more ???? 

3 hours ago, toenail said:

Wongamat Beach, Pattaya Bay...Jomtien Beach are nothing but cesspools with the clueless city officials always turning their heads doing nothing to solve this issue.

Note: Pattaya is known to have plenty of income from the tax revenue to afford new raw sewage plants. The problem is the city would never maintain them if they did purchase a couple raw sewage processing plants. The place is truly an armpit of Thailand, 

good enough for the Chinese evidently

If you think of the vast sums of money Thailand has made over the last 20 years - estimated to be 15%+ of total GDP - and the place is a complete dump

Hub of dumps

They just can't get the money into their corrupt greedy pockets quick enough 

All the people in positions of authority have no education - how did they get there - corruption, typical 3rd world cluster ****

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Early 90's it started really going downhill.

I've never been in the sea here in all the years I've been here.

About the same time as they started closing the open bars on beach road and opened McD's and the rest in their place. Started opening all the hotels we have now in place of the bars.

That's when it started to change from pretty bad to dangerous, health wise.

CHT leaks happen in 1st world cities, including those with treatment facilities.  My coastal "home" region suffers increasing population and infrastructure stress issues, and from time to time, beaches must be closed due to these kinds of events.  It's a fact of life we've created.

The difference being the government there is, generally, staffed by mature adults and educated professionals who don't exhibit this dance and dodge reflex, or whinge about photos on FaceFart messing up tourism.   They own it, tell the public the truth, and work to address the problem best they can.  Even if it involves a neighboring country. 

Below: Tijuana River valley bordering Southern California, USA. 

This one was 143 million gallons.

image.png.2ace3c96453176df9692a48cba6ec39e.png

When tourism dies off and all goes to hell they will know the reason. Sick people to be discharging  filthy sewage into under their nose and later cry no tourists come. Indeed this culture needs a major readjustment 

50 minutes ago, TSF said:

Stuck in a long-term relationship...that's my excuse, and I guess it applies to many guys here. Can't just walk away from her. But if I was single I sure wouldn't put up with Thailand's BS for another minute.

That and children I think. Perhaps cash invested in property.

If not for my daughter, I would move to another Asian country that wouldn’t be perfect, but would have less obvious downsides. Even now, i’m starting to wonder how easy it would be for her to settle in another country.

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

That and children I think. Perhaps cash invested in property.

If not for my daughter, I would move to another Asian country that wouldn’t be perfect, but would have less obvious downsides. Even now, i’m starting to wonder how easy it would be for her to settle in another country.

Me too!

3 minutes ago, outsider said:

Yup. Thailand is run by infantiles and people with mental and maturity levels of five-year-olds.

Years ago they used to have problems at certain times of the year with partially treated sewage being washed up on Sydney’s beaches. They solved the problem by pumping it further out to sea.

Now that is a really smart solution !!!

Archived