VIDEO: Na Jomtien beach polluted with putrid wastewater - tourists urged to stay away

rooster59

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Pankum also requested that people stop sharing pictures of the beach as the condition of the beach is improving daily and is almost back to normal. 

You mean 'sshhh, keep quiet about this'? 

If it is 'back to normal' what is the problem with a few pictures? 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If it is 'back to normal' what is the problem with a few pictures? 

I was there yesterday morning and there was absolutely no trace of any pollution. Tide and currents cleaned the area during Saturday-to-Sunday night. So "back to normal" seems right to me. :smile:

And one more pic from yesterday morning :

341.jpg

The horizontal grey line in the background is the breakwater of Na Jomtien marina.

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Only an idiot would venture into the waters of Thailand their beaches are by far the worst in the world 

agree, absolutely disgusting beaches I never go in the water.  I don't think my health insurance covers swimming in a sewer.

22 hours ago, toenail said:

The place is truly an armpit of Thailand,

Or, "cesspit"? They want tourists but they lack a care factor about their environment (and many other factors)! Go figure!

All this, then followed by the the normal "blame game". Never doing anything, never accepting responsibility, never getting off their lazy backsides to really improve. This attitude permeates from highest in the Kingdom (being those who SHOULD set an example but, who are overwhelmed by their own "me first" attitudes) all the way down to the lowest authority. Yes, there are exceptions to this line of thinking but not enough of them to make a difference.

Thai 4.0? NO. Still stuck on Thai 1.0.

The 6 Ps* are the rule not the exception.

* Proper Planning Prevents P$ss Poor Performance!

Water treatment is not rocket science. The technology has been around a long time. The solution is to hold the headmen and the local politicians responsible for specific areas, where the treatment facilities have not been built, are poorly maintained, or do not work. There is plenty of money to build and maintain these facilities. It is just a matter of whether or not a community or area can get past the greed of the local authorities, and get them to spend the money, rather than amass a larger fortune. Major consequences have to be put into place. If not by the authorities, than by the local community. 

As long as the tourists keep coming, they won't give a damn about it.

-But unfortunately look at the caliber of tourists Thailand is now getting. Australians, Europeans, and N Americans prefer Vietnam over Thailand now days. (Pristine beaches, well kept historical sites, & polite people. )

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thai Baht is strong, and the tourists come.  Who cares about anything else, really.  they are making more money by doing nothing.  why spend money?  then, when it's really bad, hire some cheap people to build something cheap and bad.    

But imagine if we learned 80% of girls in Pattaya had AIDS???  or 99.9% in Phuket???

then things will be done, ASAP.

sexpats usually don't go home, have AIDS, and then complain.  and there are still billions of guys on the planet.  so it's ok for now....

On 5/19/2019 at 9:37 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

Yeh, I wonder what would be  the tipping point for tourists ? 

In other news, do to a warm spell in Isaan regions couples have opted away from coitus for cooler activities the past few seasons and there is expected to be a significant negative impact on the typical ample supply of available paid companionship in Central and Southern Thailand starting about 16-18 years from now.  Alternative forms of recreation to attract tourists have all but failed during past so called "pvssy droughts".

Anytime you have raw stormwater drainage being discharged directly into the ocean......,plus all the illegal direct sewage you will have serious significant pollution.

I was the Project Manager for a significant portion of the Deer Island Sewage Treatment Plant in Boston 1991-1994 at that time the largest treatment plant in USA but there is toooooo much to type here.......it will take hundreds of Billions of BHAT to properly treat the sewage, stop illegal sewage, separate storm water from the sewage, construct the required pumping pumping stations.

6 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Anytime you have raw stormwater drainage being discharged directly into the ocean......,plus all the illegal direct sewage you will have serious significant pollution.

I was the Project Manager for a significant portion of the Deer Island Sewage Treatment Plant in Boston 1991-1994 at that time the largest treatment plant in USA but there is toooooo much to type here.......it will take hundreds of Billions of BHAT to properly treat the sewage, stop illegal sewage, separate storm water from the sewage, construct the required pumping pumping stations.

STOP giving them excuses. ????

But they could aim to clean up by making a start. Cancel the military's tank order would give money to start such a project. Really, who is going to invade? A billion Chinese (whom they could not stop)? No. 200 million Muslims from Indonesia and surounding Islamic states (wouldn't stop them either)? No.

The "bosses" have got (to get their hands off you know where) and start modernising their country for the benefit of ALL Thais. OK, I am dreaming, sorry.

I'll finish my coffee now. ????

After coming to Pattaya for over 33 years and 48 trips this current trip will be my last, nothing ever changes here where pollution is concerned it's still the same as my very first trip in 1987.

Just like it booked 2 nights in Jomtien for Friday & Saturday and now this happens i have just about had enough of Thailand now. After all these years the excitement of Pattaya has completely gone for me, prices up and Thai Baht down. This current trip until 5th June has so far been one of my worst ever trips and really i now cannot wait to go back home have so far not enjoyed one bit of this trip. Sorry for the doom & gloom guys that's the way i feel at the moment especially after seeing all that shit being pumped into the sea at Jomtien.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:53 AM, Tonyt00 said:

Yeah, dont share your pictures of the polluted sea or garbage dumped along the roads, it is bad for the image.

...  and don't mention the polluted air in Chiang Mai that feels like London smog in the fifties

16 hours ago, chilli42 said:

I moved to Thailand in 1989.  Pattaya was different than today but still a pestilent shithole.  My uncle lived there right after the Vietnamese war of independence mid 1970’s.  He described Pattaya as a charming fishing village.  My uncle was rarely sober.  So taking a date between these to points it may have gone sideways in the early 1980’s

I hitchhiked all over Thailand in late 1964 and early 1965 and it was truly a paradise in those days. In fact, the present Thailand and that of 1964 are two different countries.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:00 PM, Pilotman said:

Go about 10km east of Rayong and there are miles and miles or clean water and none polluted beaches. 

I wouldn't be too sure of that; I have found a number of dead fish on the Mae Ramphueng Beach.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:32 AM, Thechook said:

Only an idiot would venture into the waters of Thailand their beaches are by far the worst in the world 

I was one of those (naive) idiots.  NEVER again will I wade into Thailands waters again...worse than a sewage treatment plant.  

On 5/19/2019 at 12:16 PM, darksidedog said:

Yep! That is seriously nasty. I have been here 12 years and stopped going into the water anywhere near Pattaya and Jomtien about 11 years ago, as the water is always shitty to some degree. Stupidly all those years ago, I thought the council would address the problem, though as is apparent from these pictures, and the puzzled commentary on its origin, they have no clue whatsoever how to address the situation. Swimmers not wanting nasty infections or to die, should definitely stay out of the water here.

Yes, its much more fun to risk getting nasty infections or die in walking street.

Yes honey, I got this infection from swimming. 

On 5/20/2019 at 7:41 PM, oslooskar said:

I wouldn't be too sure of that; I have found a number of dead fish on the Mae Ramphueng Beach.

fish die, it's nature, I'm talking about trash and man made rubbish of all kinds, plus sewerage. 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Actually,Thailand is pretty much all armpits.Rampant greed coupled with laziness and cargo-cultism leads to the inevitable.."we don't mind and you don't matter."

Yes, agreed. My username dates from the early 90s, when Thai beaches were wonderful.

I slowly had to give up on the more popular beaches as they were destroyed by concrete and trendy hotels.

I wonder if there are any nice beaches left?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, agreed. My username dates from the early 90s, when Thai beaches were wonderful.

I slowly had to give up on the more popular beaches as they were destroyed by concrete and trendy hotels.

I wonder if there are any nice beaches left?

There are but when you find one dont tell anybody 

16 hours ago, oldrunner said:

Many years ago (1981) a sewage pipe emptied directly into Jomtien Beach at the entrance to Walking Street, it was human waste and the Japanese didn't seem to care.

The entrance to Walking St is hardly on Jomtiem Beach. The sewage pumping station is located at the North entrance, and yes there used to be sewage there, also at the far North end near the Dusit/ North Rd. 

Archived