Passport validity for retirement extension

I have asked this before but with all the news regulations regarding extension`s and insurances I have forgot and cant find the post again. However my extension expire end of August 2019 but I always do it 4-5 weeks earlier and my previous extension`s are dated between 22-26. July.

My passport expire early December 2020 and had planned to get a new passport spring 2020 and then get the extension transferred but will that be okay for immigration?

Thanks

Felt

Yes.

Immigration don't care, they will only grant an extension to the expiry date of your passport.

Get a renewal passport before your 2020 extension.....maybe after your March/April 90 day report.

• Like 1

In your position in 1990 I pointed out that I had a visa in my old passport so the two passports were securely tied together.  When I renewed in due course, the permission to stay stamp plus a reference to the old visa was put in the new passport. I continued with two ‘married’ passports until they expired. 

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

In your position in 1990 I pointed out that I had a visa in my old passport so the two passports were securely tied together.  When I renewed in due course, the permission to stay stamp plus a reference to the old visa was put in the new passport. I continued with two ‘married’ passports until they expired. 

The rule has been changed since then. As Jip99 said above, they will now only extend your visa to the expiry date of your current passport.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

My passport expire early December 2020 and had planned to get a new passport spring 2020 and then get the extension transferred but will that be okay for immigration?

Yes +1 :smile:

That's the way to do.

I have asked this before but with all the news regulations regarding extension`s and insurances I have forgot and cant find the post again. However my extension expire end of August 2019 but I always do it 4-5 weeks earlier and my previous extension`s are dated between 22-26. July.

Thanks

Felt (emphasis added)

If your passport expires in Dec 2020 and you extend to Aug 2020, no problem as your passport will still be valid for more than one year from your current extension due date.

After extending, obtain a new passport before new August 2020 extension date and you can then extend again for another full year.   Yes, the rule is your extension cannot go beyond the validity date of your passport, but in your case you should have no problem when you extend in Aug 2019.  Doing you extension early is not an issue as the extension period is one year from the expiration of your previous extension.

• Like 1