How long do I have to stay in the country?

Hello, I have an extension based upon retirement. Is there a required amount of time I must spend in the country over a one year period? For example, after you renew your extension can you leave the country and stay in another country for about 11 months and then return to renew your extension once again?

There is no minimum amount to time you have to stay here other than being here long enough to do a application for a new extension. 

Just be sure you get a re-entry permit before leaving.

• Thanks 2

This is a question I have been wondering also as a new O-A holder. So if you have the re-entry permit there is no requirement to 90 day reporting ? What if one was to be in a different part of Thailand to their normal place of stay at reporting time, for example live in Bangkok but in Samui during reporting period, can you report at the local IO in Samui ?

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Jim P said:

This is a question I have been wondering also as a new O-A holder. So if you have the re-entry permit there is no requirement to 90 day reporting ? What if one was to be in a different part of Thailand to their normal place of stay at reporting time, for example live in Bangkok but in Samui during reporting period, can you report at the local IO in Samui ?

No but you can do the 90 day report online or mail it in.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jim P said:

This is a question I have been wondering also as a new O-A holder. So if you have the re-entry permit there is no requirement to 90 day reporting ?

Re-entry permit has nothing to do with doing 90 day reports, if you are out of the country you dont do 90 day reports, if you are in the country you do 90 day reports.

So long as your OA is still valid you dont need a re-entry permit to come and go from thailand, an OA is multi entry. 

• Like 1

On May 22, 2019 at 3:30 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is no minimum amount to time you have to stay here other than being here long enough to do a application for a new extension. 

Just be sure you get a re-entry permit before leaving.

Would he still have to pay baht 65,000 a month into his bank account for 12 months or keep 800,000 in the bank continuously?

16 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Would he still have to pay baht 65,000 a month into his bank account for 12 months or keep 800,000 in the bank continuously?

Yes for the income.

There is no requirement to keep the 800k baht in the bank continuously. It only needs to be there for 2 months before application and 3 months after and then 400k baht.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement to keep the 800k baht in the bank continuously.

OK, thanks. I was just assuming if he was actually out of the country for eleven months of the year, it would be inconvenient for him to juggle the balance after three months and then 2 months before renewal. So just keeping 800,000 in the account 12 months might be easier.

Also he would need, presumably, to show he had kept Baht 800,000 in the bank 3 months after the extension renewal ... depending on what his immigration office required.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:25 AM, benlatu18 said:

For example, after you renew your extension can you leave the country and stay in another country for about 11 months and then return to renew your extension once again?

What would be the point?

They might do the extension once, but if you spent that long out of the country every year they would soon stop issuing extensions. An extension of stay is for someone wanting to live in the country. 

12 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Also he would need, presumably, to show he had kept Baht 800,000 in the bank 3 months after the extension renewal ... depending on what his immigration office required.

People at Jomtiem who have told Immigration they cannot return after 3 months to show the money as they will be out of Thailand have simply been told to come as soon as they return. I guess someone out of the country is unlikely to have spent it all. 

• Like 1