Every foreign tourist to Thailand set to be charged 100 baht insurance fee

webfact

3 minutes ago, Peterbilt said:

Only 100 BHT?
Come on Generals, you can do much better!
A lousy 3.8 bn BHT won't cover everything caused by those evil aliens who dare to get sick / injured or even die in the land of premium quality tourism.
Set it to 1,000 BHT with yearly increases of 200 BHT to compensate the always rising costs in the medical sector.

Ask and you shall receive.  Then we'll bitch and moan when they do it.

Not a bad idea, but unsure as to how they will implement something like this. I also hope this system won't make people with long term visas have to pay if they already have their own insurance here through work etc. 

7 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Didn't there used to be a departure tax? I remember going to a machine and paying 500 bt for a ticket that had to be shown,,,at check in or passport control...don't remember which.

Indeed there was for a very short period of time (seems like 30 years ago but memory may well be wrong on that).  

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

300 million baht a year ?  Another number from the Thai number factory, where any number that sounds big enough will do !

In the UK, a country with a similar population (and 40 million tourist visitors), the number's £1.8 billion, 72 billion Baht. At that rate the Thai 300 million Baht estimate seems low?

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

I doubt that will cover the current unpaid bills of a small minority of visitors who do not or can not pay their hospital bills, introduce this then the fee will have to be a lot more than 100B, to be fair even 1,000B would be cheap compared to what those of us who bother with travel insurance pay. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1