Price of wine in Thailand

jimn

As wine drinkers know the price of wine in Thailand is very expensive and poor quality. Even something thats slightly drinkable like Castle Creek is 990 thb for 3 litres. I am on a short holiday back to the UK and yesterday I went on a day drip to Calais France. I bought a few 3 litre boxes of JP Chenet a lovely red French wine, it was 6.86 euros or 310 thb. It just goes to show how expensive wine is in Thailand.

20190523_102423.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I'm also in the UK until next week and been chucking as much red stuff down my neck as possible ranging 4-6 quid a bottle in the faint hope I will end up sick of it.  but alas....????  

Give your liver a break and get back to Thailand ????

OP you shoudn't drink such shit. In France any wine under 5 Euros ( or 175 Bahts)  a 75ml bottle is undrinkable. Such a bottle would cost you here about 500 Bahts. So if you can't afford 700 Bahts a bottle it is better you stick to beer.

Interestingly wine I bought 3 years ago for that price still costs the same even though some people say that taxes have increased.

19 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Cheapest I have found over here is Tipco Cherry Berry juice, lemon juice, sugar and yeast, and a couple of weeks patience!

Unfortunately I stopped drinking wine in Thailand.  Because of the tax increase, Thailand is now flooded by very bad quality wine and their people are now drinking pure alcohol with an effect on their health and family.

6 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Anyone taken up making wine at home?

See my post no 2.

Cherry Berry juice is OK cos it has grape juice in it. Apple & pomegranite makes  a reasonable rose.

Thaibrewhouse or other online places for the yeast.

19 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Cheapest I have found over here is Tipco Cherry Berry juice, lemon juice, sugar and yeast, and a couple of weeks patience!

Would you be so kind as to post the recipe please. Also interested to know how you get it to clear, no room to put a demijohn upright in my fridges.

9 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Would you be so kind as to post the recipe please.

That IS the recipe. 6 litres juice, 500 - 1000 gm sugar. I use an hydrometer to see what the potential ABV will be. Squeeze a lemon, and yeast obtainable online from several online shops in Bkk. All in a plastic bucket with a sealed top for about 14 days, til stops bubbling. Syphone into clean beer bottles. I have a crown capper, or corks with plastic tops. Leave for as long as possible.

It is a good idea to have it on going, ie do a batch every week so that consumption does not exceed production !

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

That IS the recipe. 6 litres juice, 500 - 1000 gm sugar. I use an hydrometer to see what the potential ABV will be. Squeeze a lemon, and yeast obtainable online from several online shops in Bkk. All in a plastic bucket for about 14 days, til stops bubbling. Syphone into clean beer bottles. I have a crown capper, or corks with plastic tops. Leave for as long as possible.

It is a good idea to have it on going, ie do a batch every week so that consumption does not exceed production !

I assume you are talking about wine yeast?

I made 'cider' quite a few years ago using apple juice and it was just about drinkable. 

Gave up after that

Anything has got to be better than the filth they sell here and at least then you aren't funding the govt further with ridiculous taxes

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

That IS the recipe. 6 litres juice, 500 - 1000 gm sugar. I use an hydrometer to see what the potential ABV will be. Squeeze a lemon, and yeast obtainable online from several online shops in Bkk. All in a plastic bucket for about 14 days, til stops bubbling. Syphone into clean beer bottles. I have a crown capper, or corks with plastic tops. Leave for as long as possible.

Many thanks for that I'll give it a whirl when I gather the bits and pieces. Please also see the same edited post re the clearing process.

15 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Would you be so kind as to post the recipe please. Also interested to know how you get it to clear, no room to put a demijohn upright in my fridges.

5 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Many thanks for that I'll give it a whirl when I gather the bits and pieces. Please also see the same edited post re the clearing process.

After two weeks in the fermenter I usually syphon into a 10 litre glass container, hence only doing 6 litres. Put a Camden tablet in and it stops the fermenting and prevents oxidisation. A week in there and then into the bottles. Mine seems to clear quite nicely itself. Then I store the bottles under the sink for a month if I can wait that long. And a couple of days in the fridge before supping.

It's not Beajolais Nouvea, but it has the desired effect at minimal cost. Makes good Sangria too.

Living in Nakhon Sawan for 15 years plus I've yet to see a Thai person even look at the wine shelves yet alone buy a bottle.

Quite obviously another tax on foreigners who are expected to buy mixed rubbish for a very high price.

11 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I assume you are talking about wine yeast?

I made 'cider' quite a few years ago using apple juice and it was just about drinkable. 

Gave up after that

Anything has got to be better than the filth they sell here and at least then you aren't funding the govt further with ridiculous taxes

Last time from UK I brough a John Bull Country Cider kit, which was basically a can of concentrated apple juice and a packet of yeast. Made 20 litres of wonderful cider, nice and fizzy but strong.

I am currently trying Tesco Apple Juice, which says 100% pure. Got some cider yeast from Thaibrewshop online...99 Bht  a packet, but only need half for 8 litres.

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

After two weeks in the fermenter I usually syphon into a 10 litre glass container, hence only doing 6 litres. Put a Camden tablet in and it stops the fermenting and prevents oxidisation. A week in there and then into the bottles. Mine seems to clear quite nicely itself. Then I store the bottles under the sink for a month if I can wait that long. And a couple of days in the fridge before supping.

It's not Beajolais Nouvea, but it has the desired effect at minimal cost. Makes good Sangria too.

deleted

You can not compare the cost of the wine here in relation to another Contries price as all western currencies are half the value there were 10 years ago. Take Pound Stirling 10 years ago it was 79B/£  now 41B/£ so the price of the wine now costs twice as much to me but the Thai price hasn't increased much.

.The wine l buy now is Mont Clare Thai wine 189B 660cl. If you buy it in larger amount the price/ litre in not in proportion to the 600ml bottle.

Hello, wgdanson, post 23

Too bad it does not look like Beaujolais.
Agree for a sangria, but from Spain, go to Brittany where there is Breton sangria with cider and red and black fruits
  and cidria, with cider, peaches, apples, oranges and strawberries.

Archived