British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, tebee said:

parliament can always call a vote of no confidence if they don't like what the PM is doing 

And does this trigger a general election , or just another person to become PM ?

45 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

City analysts today saying a "no deal" Brexit will leave the pound crushed, and the inflation that follows will push the UK into recession ... and that's just for starters, the disruption and EU legal challenges that follow will add to the mix ... all Corbyn has to do is sit back and watch the mess unfold. Add to that Farage splitting the Tory vote and it's looking more and more likely that Corbyn is a shoe-in. And God help us all.

You thought you were getting Singapore, and you'll end up with Venezuela.

I would start to be concerned if Corbyn was replaced.

• Like 2

Come off it! Boris Johnson thinks he's the reincarnated Churchill, with a God given right to lead the nation ... he'd sell his sister into prostitution to get his hands on that job. 

The problem is that he has no plan, no idea what to do once he gets the job. He's a guy who has been "winging it" all his life ... and he's too old to change.

That's exactly what's needed..a right winger to carve up a stuffy defence[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

4 hours ago, david555 said:

And does this trigger a general election , or just another person to become PM ?

I think only the leader of the opposition can call a vote of no confidence in the government and convention means they should call a general election.Then there is a vote of no confidence in the PM that's called by members of their own party, if they lose they quit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I have to say that is absolute rubbish. So wanting to stay in the EU makes you a racist bigot? Of course not as leaving the EU doesn't. Typical name calling from children not liking other peoples opinions. Isn't that racist bigotry. How ironic.

It's called a piss take.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Totally agree but as  I have said for a few years she was a remainer, didn't believe in Brexit and did a great job for the EU. You could speculate that she was an EU plant.

EU plants and Hard Brexiteer vegetables.

I have to say that is absolute rubbish. So wanting to stay in the EU makes you a racist bigot? Of course not as leaving the EU doesn't. Typical name calling from children not liking other peoples opinions. Isn't that racist bigotry. How ironic.
Read his post again. That is not what he wrote.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Having listened to a lot of today's discussions, I'm now able to clarify something that has confused a lot of people, myself included. The questions:

1. If a Brexiteer PM is installed (presumably Boris), how can they talk about a no deal exit when there is not the parliamentary arithmetic to support no deal?

2. Can Parliament stop the PM from sitting on his/her hands and running down the clock to 31st Oct?

As I now understand it, Theresa May chose to have that series of votes in Parliament about blocking no deal, 2nd ref etc. She didn't need to do that. 

Also when Parliament then voted for the UK to apply for an extension, apparently that was not a binding vote so May was not obliged to take that to the EU. 

So in other words it seems if a true Brexiteer becomes PM and says that our default position is no deal, we will leave with no deal on 31st Oct unless something better is negotiated.  

Unless I'm wrong that's very bad news for remainers!  

It's actually bad news for the entire UK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1