We're All Safe?

Bangkok Barry

The meaningless garbage the politicians spew out here never ceases to amaze me. From the Bangkok Post:

'Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said the government guarantees the safety of travellers coming to Thailand.

His comment followed an alert issued by the Australian government warning its citizens about possible terrorist attacks in the country.

"Each country can inform its citizens when they have information, but we confirm that we will provide full security for our tourists if they do not go into risky areas," Gen Surayud told reporters.

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs issued a statement on Thursday, saying that terrorists may be planning attacks "at any time, anywhere" in Thailand.'

Bearing in mind that we all know attacks can occur anytime, anywhere, and it is only a matter of time before tourist areas in Bangkok are hit, isn't everywhere a 'risky area'?

There is a major, world-famous tourist area in Bangkok that is a perfect target, with not only absolutely no security but it is set up perfectly as a major target. I'm not saying where it is here, for obvious reasons.

Fortunately, so far the bombs these peace-loving people have produced are only small, home-made affairs. Let's hope they don't learn how to make Madrid-size bombs.

Perhaps the PM might like to explain how everyone's safety is guaranteed?

"Each country can inform its citizens when they have information, but we confirm that we will provide full security for our tourists if they do not go into risky areas," Gen Surayud told reporters.

So stay clear of Tuk Tuks, minibuses, motorcycle taxis, and Orient Thai 747s.

Got it :o

Personally, I feel the OP is having a cheap shot here at a ‘politician’ where English is not his mother tongue.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows the risks of just about being in any country with regard to a terrorist attack these days. Just lead your life the best you can.

Personally, I feel the OP is having a cheap shot here…..and by the way, the place you are talking about had been earmarked for a bomb for the last 10 years or so. :o

Personally, I feel the OP is having a cheap shot here at a ‘politician’ where English is not his mother tongue.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows the risks of just about being in any country with regard to a terrorist attack these days. Just lead your life the best you can.

Personally, I feel the OP is having a cheap shot here…..and by the way, the place you are talking about had been earmarked for a bomb for the last 10 years or so. :o

It's nothing to do with language misunderstandings. He said tourist's safety is guaranteed. It's just cheap talk, like so much else uttered by politicians (worldwide, admittedly). It doesn't mean a thing.

It's nothing to do with language misunderstandings. He said tourist's safety is guaranteed. It's just cheap talk, like so much else uttered by politicians (worldwide, admittedly). It doesn't mean a thing.

Firstly, he is not a politician, he was the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces a few years ago and recently the senior Privy councilor after Prem. Pretty obvious he was leaned on from above to be the temporally PM/Politician.

Secondly, his use of the word ‘guarantee’ should not be taken literally when used in this context, all he saying is that they are doing the best they can in the circumstances. How can you get yourself wound up by the statement?

Firstly, he is not a politician, he was the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces a few years ago and recently the senior Privy councilor after Prem. Pretty obvious he was leaned on from above to be the temporally PM/Politician.

Secondly, his use of the word ‘guarantee’ should not be taken literally when used in this context, all he saying is that they are doing the best they can in the circumstances. How can you get yourself wound up by the statement?

He is a politician, whether he was forced to be or not, so he is acting like one - spouting garbage.

He used the word guarantee - meaning a pledge that something will happen or that something is true. Why not say the authorities are trying their best but there are NO guarantees of safety, which is the truth.

He is a politician, whether he was forced to be or not, so he is acting like one - spouting garbage.

He used the word guarantee - meaning a pledge that something will happen or that something is true. Why not say the authorities are trying their best but there are NO guarantees of safety, which is the truth.

The point is - is his words going to affect you in any way? Do we really care about what comes out of his mouth? Are there really people that are as stupid as that to just listen to one person's words to decide on doing something? What's the big deal here?

The point is - is his words going to affect you in any way? Do we really care about what comes out of his mouth? Are there really people that are as stupid as that to just listen to one person's words to decide on doing something? What's the big deal here?

This is not a big deal, it is just a topic of discussion on an internet forum talking about how the Prime Minister of Thailand is making guarantees that can not be honored.....which is what he is clearly doing. It's not a big deal but it does show something about something....I think....and further more there is a clear indication that we are to take his words about a guarantee seriously in that he even qualifies the guarantee by saying that it is void if a tourist goes into a "risky area". What I would ask the PM if I could is to show me a map indicating the "risky areas".

Edited by chownah

What I would ask the PM if I could is to show me a map indicating the "risky areas".

Thailand is all one giant 'risky area' if you don't keep your wits about you... :o

WRONG!!.....The whole world is a risk area........what most people do not realise is both old and new astronomical data is incorrect....the World is NOT flat, nor spherical....it is crooked!