Wife bitten by a wild cat

Sealhead777

19 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I have had several courses of rabies shots over the years from a local government hospital, they are not expensive somewhere around B500 for the first shot and the next three were free.

The last time I was bitten by a cat it tried to get through the entrance gate onto our property, I put my leg in the space between the gate and the wall to stop it, the cat attacked me and bit the front of my leg and held on and actually pulled off about one and a half square inches of flesh and skin, massive bleeding and a trip to the hospital ensued.

One week later we found the cat outside the wall dead. 

That was extreme, cats do not normally behave like this but even with a small bite the front incises will puncture the skin and need immediate cleaning out and rabies shots immediately.

Don't think I've ever seen anybody being bitten by a cat. Plenty of scratches but never a bite. 

Pretty unlucky to get that sort of damage from a cat

• Like 1

She needs rabies shots ( a course ) and a tetanus shot.

You need to keep a close eye on the wound for signs of infection. Cat's mouths have nasty bacteria and the wounds are mostly puncture wounds which seal quickly, often trapping the bacteria inside. Can have nasty results and the quicker any infection is spotted, the easier it is to cure.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 3:08 AM, Rimmer said:

I have had several courses of rabies shots over the years from a local government hospital, they are not expensive somewhere around B500 for the first shot and the next three were free.

The last time I was bitten by a cat it tried to get through the entrance gate onto our property, I put my leg in the space between the gate and the wall to stop it, the cat attacked me and bit the front of my leg and held on and actually pulled off about one and a half square inches of flesh and skin, massive bleeding and a trip to the hospital ensued.

One week later we found the cat outside the wall dead. 

That was extreme, cats do not normally behave like this but even with a small bite the front incises will puncture the skin and need immediate cleaning out and rabies shots immediately.

My god - what did the cat catch off you?

Hope you got whatever you had seen to!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JaiLai said:

My god - what did the cat catch off you?

Hope you got whatever you had seen to!

Not sure if the cat died from rabies or from the patrols around here who do cull the wild animals.

I still have the scar :sad:

I was recently bitten by my own domestic cat, (rabies vaccinated) and yet was strongly advised to get rabies and tetanus booster. In my case I also needed intravenous antibiotics because I left it late. It eventually cost me 25,000 at a private hospital.

In hindsight, i would go to the nearest local government hospital and get those standard shots. They should not cost more than 1000 baht, available at main and minor hospitals.

Cat bites can be dangerous both to other animals and to humans. In their mouths, all cats carry a large number of bacteria that are capable of causing tissue infections in bite wounds. ... Infected people may suffer from fever and flu-like symptoms and, rarely, may die if proper medical treatment is not sought.

@eddie61

Funny that you just posted about your expensive experience, because ...

About three years ago my wife was scratched by a cat and we went to the Dibuk hospital in Phuket. It's owned by one of the main private hospital corporates, BDMS.

I didn't know exactly what treatment my wife needed and the doctor said that if she got rabies she could die.

I took his advice and my wife had immunoglobulin at the hospital, followed by injections of vaccine afterwards at a local clinic.

The immunoglobulin was 400 GBP, which at the time was 20,000 THB!!

I am shocked and angry to find that all she needed was rabies shots for 500 THB!!

Wonderful Thailand!     ????

Edited by Tapster

Go to you local hospital.  I handle animals all the time and keep my rabies shots up to date.  Just finished my last series last week.  220 THB per shot.  If your wife has not been vaccinated before (which it sounds like) she gets a 5 shot series over the course of about a month.  

Now if you were in America?  Lord - you may end up paying between $1000 to $3000 for a shot.  You should be happy you're in Thailand.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:13 AM, Dumbastheycome said:

No  question,  go to a Government Hospital,  get shots. Minor  cost .

You will need more than one visit...at least 3 or 4 injections over a year period back home.