DMCR: Coral bleaching situation in Thailand begins to improve

rooster59

DMCR: Coral bleaching situation in Thailand begins to improve

supawadee wangsri

5419f8d1a27531eeb41f60a0d2092153.jpg

BANGKOK, 25 May 2019(NNT) - Mr. Jatuphorn Burusphat, Director-General of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR), said coral bleaching has occurred in many areas since the end of April.

He said the DMCR has cooperated with the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP), universities and volunteer divers in 123 areas, including 51 areas in the Andaman Sea and 72 areas in the Gulf of Thailand, to follow up on the coral bleaching situation. It was found that most coral bleaching has started to improve due to the arrival of the rainy season, which decreases sea temperatures. Most of the affected corals begin to recover but they are still pale.

In the Andaman Sea, most corals are still pale but they are recovering, except for the coral reefs in the coastal areas where more coral bleaching is found, but still at a mild level as the number of bleached corals is not more than 25 percent due to the influence of fresh water from increased rainfall and the decrease in the average sea temperature from 31.29 degrees Celsius to 30.3 degrees Celsius from May 1-12, 2019.

In the Gulf of Thailand, coral bleaching is at a mild level as the number of bleached corals is not more than 25 percent of living corals. There are only six areas, or five percent of the total area where coral bleaching is still at a high level so it is necessary to monitor the situation closely.

The DMCR Director General reiterated that coral bleaching occurs when corals are weak, so the public and those involved are asked to be especially careful in carrying out activities on coral reefs that may have increased effects on corals, such as by avoiding disposing of garbage and sewage and avoiding touching corals or standing on corals. Importantly, people should jointly conserve marine resources and promote environmentally friendly tourism as well.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-26

2 hours ago, Tonyt00 said:

Wow, in other parts of the world, it takes many years to improve, Thailand can do it in a few months! Thais should go to Australia and teach them how to do it!

Maybe Mr. Jatuphorn completed a study course at TAT how to effectfully twist facts and figures.

The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) has reported several occurrences of coral bleaching in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand due to higher sea temperature. The department is currently monitoring the situation closely.

Near Jomtien it is turning black...

That means it's dead. Such a shame. I wonder if Thailand has a coral gardening program? I also see on youtube the videos of Koh Tao coral bleaching. Let's hope action is taken swiftly to halt the bleaching of further coral reefs.

22 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

That means it's dead. Such a shame. I wonder if Thailand has a coral gardening program? I also see on youtube the videos of Koh Tao coral bleaching. Let's hope action is taken swiftly to halt the bleaching of further coral reefs.

I was "tongue in cheek" referring to:

I doubt there be any coastal coral anywhere between Sattahip  Leam Chabang.

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

decrease in the average sea temperature from 31.29 degrees Celsius to 30.3 degrees Celsius from May 1-12, 2019.

Thai corals grow much faster than inferior farang corals and only the Thais could accomplish a 1 deg change in ocean temps in less than 2 weeks. Amazing Thailand!

Archived