Pedang Besar border update

I don't know what people expect on a day when the computer system is down.

It's good information, but hardly indicative of the general state of that border entry point.

About 6-8 months ago, I did my 5th or 6th consecutive visa exempt entry at PB (the others were at BKK and DMK) because I always wanted to take the train from KL to BKK.  It was a Malaysian school holiday so the place was packed.  I was shuffled off to a separate room for non-Malaysians and interviewed by a no-nonsense but cordial guy who seemed to be in charge.  I had most documents, a flight out and lots of cash with me, but no hotel booking because I still had my apartment.  I never had to pull it out.  We spoke for a few minutes and he stamped me in. 

The place was utter confusion, but it seemed mostly because they saw such a small percentage of non-Malaysian entries, and a huge throng for the holiday.  Had the server been down, I may have been there all day.

BTW, train from KL-BKK?  I'm glad I did it, but I don't EVER need to do that again.  I did spend a couple of nice days on the beach in Songkhla Town to break up the trip...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Essecola said:

Can someone please expain why it is a million times easier than this to enter at the Nong Khai friendship bridge? This fellow had a METV and is still getting grilled for 20 min. Crazy.

Or to enter most other countries in SE Asia. I certainly wouldn't come here as a tourist, unless it was for a two week holiday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I don’t understand the reasoning behind it all

The reasoning is "Get Farangs out of Thailand who aren't paying IOs some form of tribute." 

It would appear that the same clique who took over the Bangkok Airport entry-points and Poipet/Aranya have now captured Pedang Besar - though it's not as bad, yet. 

• Like 2

We used to do the trip to Butterworth at least once or twice a year, more so before AirAsia was around but haven’t done it for a couple of years at least. Never had any immigration issues. Just a couple of weeks ago I went to Hua Lumphong to check out the new 1st class cars with the idea of four of us doing the trip down to Penang. 

It came as a great surprise that there were no more through trains. When I asked the very indifferent and couldn’t be bothered to look up from her phone “customer service” representative, she just said Malaysia want to do for themself”

Its a shame about the train, it was always a great trip meeting all sorts of people. If PB immigration have turned sour perhaps it’s for the best.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

We used to do the trip to Butterworth at least once or twice a year, more so before AirAsia was around but haven’t done it for a couple of years at least. Never had any immigration issues. Just a couple of weeks ago I went to Hua Lumphong to check out the new 1st class cars with the idea of four of us doing the trip down to Penang. 

It came as a great surprise that there were no more through trains. When I asked the very indifferent and couldn’t be bothered to look up from her phone “customer service” representative, she just said Malaysia want to do for themself”

Its a shame about the train, it was always a great trip meeting all sorts of people. If PB immigration have turned sour perhaps it’s for the best.

I love doing the train from Chiang Mai to Penang. It is a long trip but I enjoy it. Was going to do the ride for Songkran but everything was full and I ended up having to fly AA. ????

The reason there is no through train anymore is that Malaysia upgraded their trains - mostly electric now - and Thailand has not. The trains are now incompatible beginning at the border. So instead of going through PB down to Butterworth on the same train, you get off, change to a commuter train to get to Butterworth, and then catch a different train if you are going farther south. 

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it seems a better option for those in KL wanting to get into Thailand overland would be to take the train to Penang and maybe stay overnight and then take the minibus to Hat Yai. I did that years ago and there was no hassle. It would be interesting to hear a recent report of those using that minibus.

Edited by edwardandtubs

• 3 years later...

Has anyone got any recent experience of using Pedang Besar border crossing ???

I am contemplating this option to exit Thailand & come straight back in on a 45 day Visa Exempt entry early next month.

Would it be possible to do a quick out/in at PB crossing or would i need to stay 1 night on the Malaysian side ??

14 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I am contemplating this option to exit Thailand & come straight back in on a 45 day Visa Exempt entry early next month.

Would it be possible to do a quick out/in at PB crossing or would i need to stay 1 night on the Malaysian side ??

I did it on the train 5th Feb 2020, arrived on the morning Hat Yai shuttle and came back on the afternoon one , no problem but was on a ME visa.

The shuttle was suspended during the pandemic but started running again on the 15th July 2022.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RedArmy said:

As a further comment on this from the OP.

"Upon arriving at Pedang Besar station in Malaysia, there seemed to be an area for Thai immigration, but it seemed closed."

The immigration offices(Thai & Malaysian) are on the platform and are only open from an hour before the Thai trains are due to leave and close when the train leaves.

There have been several comments from people saying they couldn't find immigration at the station or it had been closed down.

My plan is to drive to Pedang Besar - leave the car on the Thai side & walk across the border - Can someone please advise me if i can just turn straight around & enter Thailand again within a few hours ??

I plan to enter on a 45 day visa exempt entry around 4th October.

55 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

My plan is to drive to Pedang Besar - leave the car on the Thai side & walk across the border - Can someone please advise me if i can just turn straight around & enter Thailand again within a few hours ??

I cannot state the current rules for definite. Back in 2019, when doing a border bounce via the road crossing at Pedang Besar for a fresh visa exempt entry, it was required to stay overnight in Malaysia.

Edited by BritTim
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I cannot state the current rules for definite. Back in 2019, when doing a border bounce via the road crossing at Pedang Besar for a fresh visa exempt entry, it was required to stay overnight in Malaysia.

Appreciate your reply brother, not ideal for me but it is what it is. I will be travelling from Krabi - Could you recommend any other crossings near by that i may be able to use to leave & come straight back in.

15 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Appreciate your reply brother, not ideal for me but it is what it is. I will be travelling from Krabi - Could you recommend any other crossings near by that i may be able to use to leave & come straight back in.

There is this one Wang Prachan Boundary Post one in Satun. See: https://goo.gl/maps/BNuJH7V4o6Fw767V7

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RedArmy said:

My experience was over a decade ago so perhaps outdated.

I drove over the border in my own vehicle to get my second 12 months stay on my A-O visa. There were signs in no-man's-land stating I couldn't drive more than 60kms into Malaysia (from memory). No problems entering there apart from a cursory check of my car's boot/trunk for contraband.

I drove down the main street of the dreary little Malaysian town, turned around and went back into Thailand.  It took more than an hour to convince the 3 Immigration officials there to give me 12 months not the 30 days they initially stamped in my Passport. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Much appreciated brother, will do some research on this one.

Research today has born some unexpected positive news.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is this one Wang Prachan Boundary Post one in Satun. See: https://goo.gl/maps/BNuJH7V4o6Fw767V7

Brother Joe, thankyou so much for pointing me in another direction - I have spoken to my close pal here in Thailand & he has family who work for the Police & Immigration in the Satun province - He has assured me that they will accommodate me & ensure a smooth passage through the border & back in again - Feeling more positive now.