Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Pedang Besar border update

On 9/17/2022 at 9:03 AM, CanadaSam said:

45 days exempt by land!  That's amazing news!  Thailand IS progressing, albeit slowly, but any change is always welcome!  Thank You, Joe!!!

dont get too excited its a temporary program for 6 months ????

5 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Apparently so

Red, what am I missing, please?

My experience tells me that the powers in Thailand are a little like school children, they keep trying new things, and generally keep the things that work, and dump the things that don't.

I am sure that many visitors will be glad to get the 45 days worry free, instead of running to immigration and waste a day to extend after 30.

I am fairly sure that this policy of 45 days will be extended.  Let's see.

Oh I get it, you are referring to my missing the fact that 45 days exempt will be available at airports and also land ports.

When they were first discussing the issue a couple months back, I seem to remember reading that the Gov't was considering the 45 days only at airports, in the news.  Sorry, been so long, I can not point you to the exact news article, but anyway, my bad, I was wrong!

7 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Red, what am I missing, please?

Facts ??? Knowledge ??? 

3 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Oh I get it, you are referring to my missing the fact that 45 days exempt will be available at airports and also land ports.

Glad to see you have finally seen the light ????

On 9/17/2022 at 9:03 AM, CanadaSam said:

45 days exempt by land!  That's amazing news!  Thailand IS progressing, albeit slowly, but any change is always welcome!  Thank You, Joe!!!

If that is a measure of progess, I will wait for the day when Canada also progresses to a level allowing 45 days exempt to Thai (and other) nationals arriving by air or land border.

20 minutes ago, saakura said:

If that is a measure of progess, I will wait for the day when Canada also progresses to a level allowing 45 days exempt to Thai (and other) nationals arriving by air or land border.

Canada would be overwhelmed by, among others, large numbers of Thais arriving to work illegally (rather than holidaying), and "forgetting" to fly home after these 45 days. Australia has had a similar experience with certain Asian nationalities (e.g. Malaysians).

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, saakura said:

If that is a measure of progess, I will wait for the day when Canada

Now, you're just being silly, saakura, it is a measure of progress FOR THAILAND, a country where the majority of people are poor, and where unfortunately the few people in power are extremely rich, by skimming off whatever funds come in from whichever channels.

Secondly, IF Canada or any other "first" world country opens up visa exempt even for 1 single day, let alone 45 days, you know very well that 99.9 percent of visitors from Thailand or any other "poor" country would NEVER return.

11 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I am fairly sure that this policy of 45 days will be extended.  Let's see.

Making it easy for tourists to stay longer is based on the fact that tourist numbers are way below where the authorities want them to be. If tourist numbers recover to anything close to 2019 levels, visa exempt entry will quickly revert to 30 days. I personally doubt a huge increase in numbers by March, so you are probably correct that the 45-day visa exemption will survive past the first six months. I do not think it will be permanent.

• Like 1