Immigration offices - Tourist areas v Non tourist areas.

Just to sate my curiosity really, but I wonder if there is a marked difference in attitudes towards expats at the different locations. Are Immigration offices up country or in the sticks more lenient, friendly, approachable than their counterparts in touristy areas? I am particularly interested to hear from those with experience of both types of location, staying in Thailand long-term.

• Like 2

Phetchabun is generally friendly and approachable but not necessarily more lenient. They do change their own rules occasionally so what the procedure was one year was not the next. With the new rules on money seasoning they give a detailed sheet in English of what is required. They give it in Thai as well for your wife to understand too.

They have had a young Australian girl there to help with English speakers but was not there the last time I went. The others have limited English but probably understandable as farangs are a very low percentage of their customers, mostly Asian.

• Like 2

I have had experience with Chiang Mai and now Buri Ram.

Chiang Mai was a nightmare, mainly because of numbers of people being seen, you could not build a repour with a IO as they were rushed and just did the job and moved on and wouldn't remember you as they saw so many, I must admit I used an agent there in the end as I didn't want to get up at 4 am to queue, so the agent was great for getting around that but nothing illegal took place other than queue jumping.  

Buri Ram is a pleasure, have had no trouble getting anything done and in a timely manner from residence certificates to extensions to 90 days, there aren't as many customers and they aren't pushed, can have a joke and pass on information easily, I will only be doing extensions and multi re entrys there for a bit as I sit out my 2 years in Oz for being a naughty boy and retiring a few years early because I didn't piss all my money away and have to do 2 years doing stuff all here.

• Like 2

Sakon Nakhon OK if you are oiling the wheels, if you are not, be prepared to sit there all day whilst they go for lunch or just sit and pretend they are too busy to deal with you or send you away after finding a fault with your documents. That's OK unless you live a couple of three hours away.

Anyway, the next renewal will be in Kalasin. Let's see how that one goes.

• Like 2

Udon Thani 2+ years very friendly/helpful staff. 90 day report less than 10 minutes. Extension last time I think 30 minutes usually no more than one hour. Once on a rainy day their was me and another guy. 

First NO in BKK was a bit of a drive from city center. A lot of waiting at different stations. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billy Bloggs said:

I have had experience with Chiang Mai and now Buri Ram.

Chiang Mai was a nightmare, mainly because of numbers of people being seen, you could not build a repour with a IO as they were rushed and just did the job and moved on and wouldn't remember you as they saw so many, I must admit I used an agent there in the end as I didn't want to get up at 4 am to queue, so the agent was great for getting around that but nothing illegal took place other than queue jumping.  

Buri Ram is a pleasure, have had no trouble getting anything done and in a timely manner from residence certificates to extensions to 90 days, there aren't as many customers and they aren't pushed, can have a joke and pass on information easily, I will only be doing extensions and multi re entrys there for a bit as I sit out my 2 years in Oz for being a naughty boy and retiring a few years early because I didn't piss all my money away and have to do 2 years doing stuff all here.

"but nothing illegal took place". What illegality would you expect to take place? Or are you only saying that because you used an agent?

Can you name, or have you even heard of any agent that has been charged with any illegality?

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

It also depends a lot on the individual IO who you are dealing with. Until last year in Udon Thani everybody was friendly and helpul. Then at some point there was a change in staff and the attitude of the new people was not so friendly anymore.

Same as Trat i new them for 10 yrs then new staff now treated with visits to the house and extra copies of this and that we should get points for how long we have been here LEGALLY !

• Like 1