Are things changing?

petedk

3 hours ago, petedk said:

Having said that I feel Thais are a little more hostile to foreigners, maybe this is a world wide trend now. 

I do believe Thais are a little more hostile to everyone and it is obvious from the number of road rage incidents reported in the Thai news.

Actually this is not a new phenomenon- I had a close Thai relative murdered in a road rage incident 15 years ago.

I, personally have had few situations in almost 50 years where a Thai person was hostile to me.  One involved a road rage incident in which I simply ignored the other person  ( A Thai in a Merc)  and the other was a very high ranking Thai women in a Thai bank who referred to all 'faring' using the Thai word for 'It' instead of Khun.   In this case- I wanted to speak up but my wife made sure I did not.

There is no doubt people everywhere are less polite; more prone to anger and more racist than ever before.  I think part of it is the overcrowding of large cities; the use of alcohol and drugs and the general decline of social mores.

I make it a point to ignore anyone who is looking for a 'fight', keep positive; go about my business in peace and smile a lot.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you ever consider the guy who speak good English might read Thaivisa?
that would explain the hostile nature.
lol
Serious tho, if its many people nearby treating you this way, theres always the chance you might have been a bit of a butt-head on occasion and word has got around.
Thais love to gossip and have a LONG memory!

No I have never butheaded anyone here in my area.
Let's not get things out of proportion. I am talking about 2 people. Not lots.

I started this topic after someone asked the same question in the news section. I guess mainly about immigration.

Anyway my wife said recently that Thai media was asking Thais to report any foreigner acting suspiciously. Why only foreigners?

As it was, 2 foreigners on our soil were busted in separate incidents. Maybe that is what has spooked these guys.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

39 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

A lot of the hostility in the west was originally about 'taking job's'.

Now it is about gaming the benefits system/healthcare etc.

Look at the Thai uproar if they think foreigners are stealing jobs in one part of the country.

Foreigners don't take a penny out of the system here & they put plenty in!

Oh really, did you miss the news of hospitals not being able to get their bill paid by foreigners ? Its not as if us "foreigners" are such a better class then other foreigners. There will always be resentment and most of it is based on misstrust and fear. Works the same here as back in our countries. I prefer to be moderate enough extremism already everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, petedk said:

No I have never butheaded anyone here in my area.
Let's not get things out of proportion. I am talking about 2 people. Not lots.

I started this topic after someone asked the same question in the news section. I guess mainly about immigration.

Anyway my wife said recently that Thai media was asking Thais to report any foreigner acting suspiciously. Why only foreigners?

As it was, 2 foreigners on our soil were busted in separate incidents. Maybe that is what has spooked these guys.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i a real worldwide thing now  "Operation Demonise Foriegner".
A very convenient way for them who are not popular to direct distrust and anger onto another group, create division and to distracts people away from the domestic problems and anger.
sometimes subtle and sometimes not.

news:
when the taxi driver gives a farang customer 300k baht back thats left in taxi...

next story might be a farang stealing phones or running around naked.

I kind of joke about Thai visa, but if it really is a "thing" against farang then maybe its time to consider certain people in government might be waking up to what gets said online and on these English sites.

You saw a Thai guy in a merc speaking very good English, it would be naive to think none like that could read and comprehend English.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Oh really, did you miss the news of hospitals not being able to get their bill paid by foreigners ? Its not as if us "foreigners" are such a better class then other foreigners. There will always be resentment and most of it is based on misstrust and fear. Works the same here as back in our countries. I prefer to be moderate enough extremism already everywhere. 

300 million baht, a drop in the ocean considering how much they cream in and rip people off.

Maybe if they made the place a bit safer too!

I can't imagine those figures have been audited either, just another guesstimate to create a narrative they are pushing.

Extremely hard for a foreigner to leave a hospital without paying. 

Just now, Sticky Wicket said:

300 million baht, a drop in the ocean considering how much they cream in and rip people off.

Maybe if they made the place a bit safer too!

I can't imagine those figures have been audited either, just another guesstimate to create a narrative they are pushing.

Extremely hard for a foreigner to leave a hospital without paying. 

Still its happening and you are denying that foreigners cause problems. Us white foreingers are as bad as Muslims in the west. Its the truth we are in Thailand and we try to do things our way. Just read on the forum everyone does it. People don't like change especially if it comes from people who are not natives to the country they try to change. 

Just showing how we are also influencing Thais and many might not like it. If for instance you see how some foreigners treat Thais in bars (remember the vids of the foreigner cursing Thais). The moment you get too many foreigners in a place you get friction. If you have too many farangs in a place the Thais wont like it. Just like back home we don't like too many Muslims in a place.

Its the same but people don't like to see it that way. They like to pretend that we are perfect here in Thailand and back home the Muslims are bad for wanting to do the same things we do here. (just living our live the way we like)

Let me share my experiences in the past 4-5 months.

was parked at the side of the road trying to catch one of my dogs while other 8 were waiting in side car. Red plated Porsche pulled up, sexy girl came out and tried to give me 3000-5000 baht. I refused the money.she insisted it was money to buy food for dogs . I was stunned she would be giving money and she was stunned o turned down money.

other day one pup decided to run away, by the time I found him he ran around and scratched a brand new car trying to jump up/in.

naturally owner was not happy , but thankfully scratches were not deep and did not cut into paint .

i offered to go with him to car wash and hand scratches buffed out as we did, total cost 630 baht . No shouting , no anger , and he was rather happy that I paid and car was as new again 

driving home with my dogs as I stop at the gate, 3 taxi bike guys followed me from god knows where. 

First i was confused, turns out they wanted to make a photo of my dogs but did not know if I could speak thai to ask me when I pass their rank.

again out with my dogs , this time 3 pups do the runner and off to street restaurant jumping on peoples tables.  Everyone screaming . I thought will cost me a fortune . Instead staff helped me catch them and 2 tables that had pups on it asked staff to wrap the food and give to me for the pups . Refused to accept any money.

what is the moral of the story ? Perhaps it’s not the Thai people but how we are or how we react that makes the difference.

and yes once I had one tell me to get her property with my dogs and she spoke fluent English. Asked her to see Chanott for the land she was claiming to be hers and she never opened  her mouth again .

had shops telling me I can not park outside as it’s theirs, again asked them to show chanott for the public road which they supposedly own . With little mumbling and no suppprt from anyone they shut their mouth 

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Still its happening and you are denying that foreigners cause problems. Us white foreingers are as bad as Muslims in the west. Its the truth we are in Thailand and we try to do things our way. Just read on the forum everyone does it. People don't like change especially if it comes from people who are not natives to the country they try to change. 

Just showing how we are also influencing Thais and many might not like it. If for instance you see how some foreigners treat Thais in bars (remember the vids of the foreigner cursing Thais). The moment you get too many foreigners in a place you get friction. If you have too many farangs in a place the Thais wont like it. Just like back home we don't like too many Muslims in a place.

Its the same but people don't like to see it that way. They like to pretend that we are perfect here in Thailand and back home the Muslims are bad for wanting to do the same things we do here. (just living our live the way we like)

No I agree foreigners cause problems here.

Bound to happen with different cultures and translation issues. 

The last 5 years have got worse here as the xenophobia drips from top to bottom. Dear Leader and friends have exacerbated things markedly

4 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

You really seem to be the heart, soul and joy of your soi.....

That said, I never had a Thai shout at me or threaten me in all the years I live here now... only some faring blokes who think themselves kings of the world...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Me too.

I think the OP must have PO the "sheriff" somehow, even without knowing it.

Anyway, why is he asking on here? He has a Thai wife- get her to sort it out. What is the point of marrying one of them if they can't sort the problems?

Walking the dog! How not Thai is that? Thais don't walk dogs; they let them roam around biting people and breeding even more mutts.

11 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

The last 5 years have got worse here as the xenophobia drips from top to bottom. Dear Leader and friends have exacerbated things markedly

Not in my experience. I think farangs that have problems PO their neighbours somehow, because they usually don't have a clue about Thais, and think Thailand should be just like the <deleted> they came from.

4 hours ago, petedk said:

Are things changing?

Never had what describe happen to me.

Maybe things in any country change over time inevitable I guess.

Things much the same here in Sukhothai over 15 years just busier roads with more car/trucks and motorbikes.

Thai much same too, some friendly some not. 

17 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

well i guess constant online criticism from foriegners,

accusing rulers and the country and the gov in general of BS stuff you heard in Thaivisa but cant really proove might have something to do with it?

(not you personally)

but others constantly carrying on like they WANT to be deported!

then you here them say

"duhhhh why are Thai gov trying to push us out??? duhhhh

17 hours ago, BestB said:

Let me share my experiences in the past 4-5 months.

was parked at the side of the road trying to catch one of my dogs while other 8 were waiting in side car. Red plated Porsche pulled up, sexy girl came out and tried to give me 3000-5000 baht. I refused the money.she insisted it was money to buy food for dogs . I was stunned she would be giving money and she was stunned o turned down money.

other day one pup decided to run away, by the time I found him he ran around and scratched a brand new car trying to jump up/in.

naturally owner was not happy , but thankfully scratches were not deep and did not cut into paint .

i offered to go with him to car wash and hand scratches buffed out as we did, total cost 630 baht . No shouting , no anger , and he was rather happy that I paid and car was as new again 

driving home with my dogs as I stop at the gate, 3 taxi bike guys followed me from god knows where. 

First i was confused, turns out they wanted to make a photo of my dogs but did not know if I could speak thai to ask me when I pass their rank.

again out with my dogs , this time 3 pups do the runner and off to street restaurant jumping on peoples tables.  Everyone screaming . I thought will cost me a fortune . Instead staff helped me catch them and 2 tables that had pups on it asked staff to wrap the food and give to me for the pups . Refused to accept any money.

what is the moral of the story ? Perhaps it’s not the Thai people but how we are or how we react that makes the difference.

and yes once I had one tell me to get her property with my dogs and she spoke fluent English. Asked her to see Chanott for the land she was claiming to be hers and she never opened  her mouth again .

had shops telling me I can not park outside as it’s theirs, again asked them to show chanott for the public road which they supposedly own . With little mumbling and no suppprt from anyone they shut their mouth 

I agree with you. I have had many good experiences here, similar to yours, but I guess we usually write about the bad experiences.

With these 2 guys I kept very calm and just talked to them nicely, but they were already worked up and screaming before I even had a chance to say anything.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Only last night did I see the "sheriff" shouting at some Chinese tourists. I have no idea what it was about.

Someone PMed me and asked why I call him the "sheriff".

Haha well, as I said, he likes to wear a police helmet and a bright orange police vest (when he is not half naked). Actually I have always kind of respected him, because as soon as there are any problems (usually traffic related) on the soi, he is there to sort things out. When any of the nearby pubs have events, he is there on his motorbike directing traffic. I have also seen him walking around our area of the soi writing down the registration numbers of cars. (God knows why).

I think some people have got me wrong. I am not against Thai people in anyway. I have many good Thai friends and wherever I go I enjoy the friendliness of Thai people ( and honesty). I have experienced good deeds of honesty that would NEVER happen back home.

I lived in Copenhagen for many years and to be truthful... many Danes were very hostile to other people.

In England, my home country I saw many hostile activities.

I just feel that Thailand is slowly changing and becoming more westernised, which is a great pity.

18 hours ago, robblok said:

Still its happening and you are denying that foreigners cause problems. Us white foreingers are as bad as Muslims in the west. Its the truth we are in Thailand and we try to do things our way.

I like your posts man and I'll be following your fitness tips, but in all honesty you can't compare the two. Muslims get citizenship and basically get paid to live in Western countries. Also, with all the profits Thailand made with tourism they could have made some improvements regarding expat healthcare.

Definitely more hostility which goes back to around 2014. People even resist sitting next to a foreigner on  bus or seat these days, when at one time they would to practice English. I have been screamed at to go back home more than once, ok they may have been mentally ill from the look of them. I prefer not to have anything to do with Thais these days more than necessary. There are nice and kind people about of course but a lot more of them just don't like foreigners.

Just a guess but maybe the other dog walking lady has been blamed for the poop of her dog and passed the blame along to you... that can happen... otherwise you seem to be polite and respectful and clean up your dog's poo... but htis osundsl ike a cultivated and pointed anger, not an all farang anger... 

which as other posters in villages and small cities, I never ever see, quite the opposite. 

18 hours ago, BestB said:

I wonder this too as I have so many nice stories... driving back roads and people spending time and going way way out of the way to help me find a place that I am looking for... every smile gets 5 in return... pleasant begets pleasant... 

18 hours ago, robblok said:

Its the truth we are in Thailand and we try to do things our way.

And I might add, then some foreigners berate Thai for not doing things their way...

I was walking past a telephone service booth in the mall. It was Sunday... The farang was obviously annoyed, but was outwardly calm... then as he left, I heard him tell the customer service lady, 'you people need to learn how to do better customer service.' 

Real nice. This was a young lady trying to be helpful. She was probably doing exactly what she was trained to do. And it was Sunday and probably nothing that she could do anyway other than take information. 

Not sure where he was from but can you imagine if this were reversed and he was working customer service and someone who could not even speak English started telling him he should learn to do his job better, just like in his home country... 

22 hours ago, petedk said:

"have you noticed that Thais look at us differently?" or "do they really want us?" and this made me think about several incidents that have happened to me during the past 4 or 5 months

I think if folks look around it is not Thai vs Falang

You see a lot of heated things Thai vs Thai also

Whether traffic related, work, gang fights at hospitals even

I think Thailand is just wound extra tight right now & no relief in sight.

After 5 years of Junta & economy sagging, homes over built, no clear forward path for many

stuck with earnings not keeping pace with price hikes + Thailand has really entered the buy it on credit now era

that years ago they did not have.

This all adds up to more stress & less sabai sabai

Sad to say I do not think it will be calming anytime soon as recent elections show more of the same last 5 years coming

Immigration wise of course the screws have been tightening (right or wrongly) but definitely tightening so foreigners also

more on edge than before

9 minutes ago, mania said:

I think if folks look around it is not Thai vs Falang

You see a lot of heated things Thai vs Thai also

Whether traffic related, work, gang fights at hospitals even

I think Thailand is just wound extra tight right now & no relief in sight.

After 5 years of Junta & economy sagging, homes over built, no clear forward path for many

stuck with earnings not keeping pace with price hikes + Thailand has really entered the buy it on credit now era

that years ago they did not have.

This all adds up to more stress & less sabai sabai

Sad to say I do not think it will be calming anytime soon as recent elections show more of the same last 5 years coming

Immigration wise of course the screws have been tightening (right or wrongly) but definitely tightening so foreigners also

more on edge than before

Yeh over the years I have found quite a few FB pages where you see the true face of Thai society. It ain't pretty and as you say most of it is Thai v Thai

1 hour ago, petedk said:

I agree with you. I have had many good experiences here, similar to yours, but I guess we usually write about the bad experiences.

With these 2 guys I kept very calm and just talked to them nicely, but they were already worked up and screaming before I even had a chance to say anything.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Only last night did I see the "sheriff" shouting at some Chinese tourists. I have no idea what it was about.

Someone PMed me and asked why I call him the "sheriff".

Haha well, as I said, he likes to wear a police helmet and a bright orange police vest (when he is not half naked). Actually I have always kind of respected him, because as soon as there are any problems (usually traffic related) on the soi, he is there to sort things out. When any of the nearby pubs have events, he is there on his motorbike directing traffic. I have also seen him walking around our area of the soi writing down the registration numbers of cars. (God knows why).

I think some people have got me wrong. I am not against Thai people in anyway. I have many good Thai friends and wherever I go I enjoy the friendliness of Thai people ( and honesty). I have experienced good deeds of honesty that would NEVER happen back home.

I lived in Copenhagen for many years and to be truthful... many Danes were very hostile to other people.

In England, my home country I saw many hostile activities.

I just feel that Thailand is slowly changing and becoming more westernised, which is a great pity.

That is pretty much it, it is getting westernised and for some Thai westernised means being rude and aggressive .

it will sound bad but it’s the truth , before hookers knew they were at the bottom of the barrel.  They were humble and polite when going to hotel or restaurant with customers . These days they think they above working people, rude, arrogant and demeaning to staff working .

happens all over the world , when people do not have money, crime and rudeness increases , Thailand is no different and of course they always look for someone to blame .

they not making the money because foreigners are not coming , so therefore bad foreigners ????

In my opinion, there is an undeniable change, maybe not noticeable on short term (couple of years) but surely on a time line of +20 years. The influx of tourists is very high and what is often considered normal behaviour for them is perceived rude or impolite to Thai people. I understand their frustration, respect has changed to “not like”. We are visitors to their country so standing on your rights or expect to be treated equal is a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived