Are things changing?

petedk

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I’m guessing you are English? .........................

Why are you guessing that he is English ?

Because all English people are ........blah blah blah .

Then go on about how bad racism and discrimination is these days ????

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I’m guessing you are English? I don’t think what you are describing is exclusively a Thai thing. In your home country “foreigners” are not as welcome as they used to be, I’ve seen countless TV interviews of Brexit supporters talking about “foreigners” and “immigrants”, something that would never have happened a few years ago. The irony of the Brexit debates on Thai Visa is that many Thai based immigrants are complaining about immigrants in their home country? Look at Trump’s America, the same anti-immigration rhetoric from populist politicians we’d have laughed at a few years back ... and it’s  popping up in France, Italy, Sweden and many other countries. We are seeing a rise in nationalism and the scapegoating of immigrants. We’re not quite at the level of the 1930s yet, but I sense we are going there. The world is not a happy place at the moment. 

Falang ex pats and visitors to the LOS are not immigrants. Immigrants hope to adopt the nationality of the country they migrate to. That's not possible in the LOS.

They are what amounts to paying guests. Have insufficient funds to keep yourself or fail to abide by visa regulations and you're out.

In 2010 Angela Merkel herself actually admitted immigration and the multicultural experiment in Europe had been a failure so it's not even as if the liberal elite have only just realised what's been going on and the mistakes that have been made.

Comparing the freeloader immigrants in Germany/Europe to the foreigner / tourist population in Thailand that support about 20 % of GDP not valid. The apples apples comparisons should be with local  attitudes in other countries like Vietnam or Mexico. Actually nothing has really changed : Thais and foreigners are just a  major culture conflict. 

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have lived here in a small town/village for 13 years now and never had any problems with any Thais, cannot think of any occasion any Thai has ever shouted at me, I have walked my dog, walked alone, ridden my pedal bike, motorbike, driven my truck around the village.

I have had many jobs done on my house, property, motorbikes over the years which have all been highly satisfactory.

Apart from the very unfairness of Thai immigration, and the dreadful driving and riding by the biggest majority of Thais, and their sad lack of common sense, I have no problem with the Thais or living here in Thailand.

If the OP has had all that trouble with ordinary Thai people, maybe he needs to look at his own attitude towards them.

You haven't read my post carefully. I don't have problems with Thai people in general...only these 2 and only on these occasions. As I said the staff at the school are very friendly.

How can it be my attitude when I was walking quite calmly and heard the sheriff shouting and screaming. At first I had no idea it was me he was screaming at. The same with the other guy. The car pulled up in front of me and before I even knew what was happening the guy was shouting and the woman had her hand on the car horn.

A few weeks I could have said "Hey I have lived here 20 years and never had problems with Thai people, just like you are saying". It could happen to anyone anytime. The same thing happened to a close friend when I asked if he was afraid of riding his motorcycle in Thailand. "Oh I have lived her 10 years and never had an accident." Sadly a month or so later he was killed on his motorbike. RIP my friend.

Never say never.

4 hours ago, connda said:

Start carrying your smartphone with the Video queued up and when 'crazy man', i.e. Soi Sheriff start a round of verbal abuse - capture it on video.  Then post it on Social Media as well Thai Visa, especially if you are threatened with violence.  Then file a complaint with the police too.

"He said"/"She said" doesn't get you much traction.  You need video proof in this day and age.

And risk a defamation case or charged under the computer law.

Isn't everyone here saying" Stay out of trouble"? 

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Why are you guessing that he is English ?

Because all English people are ........blah blah blah .

Then go on about how bad racism and discrimination is these days ????

He's not English?

Did you read the post Max? Did I mention any other countries ... hint, Sweden, US, France, Italy?

12 minutes ago, petedk said:

You haven't read my post carefully. I don't have problems with Thai people in general...only these 2 and only on these occasions. As I said the staff at the school are very friendly.

How can it be my attitude when I was walking quite calmly and heard the sheriff shouting and screaming. At first I had no idea it was me he was screaming at. The same with the other guy. The car pulled up in front of me and before I even knew what was happening the guy was shouting and the woman had her hand on the car horn.

A few weeks I could have said "Hey I have lived here 20 years and never had problems with Thai people, just like you are saying". It could happen to anyone anytime. The same thing happened to a close friend when I asked if he was afraid of riding his motorcycle in Thailand. "Oh I have lived her 10 years and never had an accident." Sadly a month or so later he was killed on his motorbike. RIP my friend.

Never say never.

I said maybe, Thais are about the best people in the world if you do not take their road behaviour into consideration, also they are for the most part very non confrontational.

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Falang ex pats and visitors to the LOS are not immigrants. Immigrants hope to adopt the nationality of the country they migrate to. That's not possible in the LOS.

They are what amounts to paying guests. Have insufficient funds to keep yourself or fail to abide by visa regulations and you're out.

In 2010 Angela Merkel herself actually admitted immigration and the multicultural experiment in Europe had been a failure so it's not even as if the liberal elite have only just realised what's been going on and the mistakes that have been made.

Oh, right, so you are all different? So if the Europeans that live in the UK were self-funding we'd all be happy? 

Pull the other one! 

If you are not Thai and you are living in Thailand, you are a "foreigner" or "immigrant", I'm not sure Thai's apply any subtle distinctions ... increasingly it looks as if Thailand no longer wants you, irrespective of whether you fund yourself or not. 

I think people don't like it if too much changes for them.

I.e. if 10 foreigners visit a place in a year people are friendly and maybe they think: we should invite them.

If then 10 or 20 come per month it's still fine. A little extra income and nothing threatening.

But if this increases more and more and one day 100 or more come each day then they become annoying. They create extra garbage, etc.

That can apply to foreigners in general, farangs, Chinese, anybody.

Few people like if their way of life near their home changes too much. And as far as I see that is similar all over the world.

A couple of month ago I read an article about a nice idyllic Swiss village. All was fine until one of those influencers visited it. And then thousands of people came and the village was not idyllic anymore. I understand that the local don't like the change...

Personally I live in Sukhumvit and that was always full of tourists. The locals obviously adapted to that and charge "stupid" tourists high prices. But most of the Thais, even the taxi-no-meter drivers, know the local farangs and treat them better than those tourists...

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I said maybe, Thais are about the best people in the world if you do not take their road behaviour into consideration, 

Yeah sure, and that's like saying: Outside of that Mrs Kennedy how did you like Dallas 

40 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Yeah sure, and that's like saying: Outside of that Mrs Kennedy how did you like Dallas 

Yes, I remember watching Dallas, I liked JR but I don't remember a Mrs Kennedy, was she one of JRs conquests?

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I said maybe, Thais are about the best people in the world if you do not take their road behaviour into consideration, also they are for the most part very non confrontational.

I agree with you about being the best people in the world. I would also say in my experience the most honest.

5 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Well how is it 'crap' then. I'm not being funny, I'd really like to know.

I'm not even aware of 'a country where the indigenous population has taken to immigration kindly.

I just said that a lot of Thai people resent foreign intruders in their country now you've just more or less agreed with me by claiming that right wing organisations have never been stronger than now. Probably because they have those same feelings of resentment.

How does 'crap' enter the equation?

It's the same territorial nature that comes out of many people wherever they may be.

I just said that a lot of Thai people resent foreign intruders in their country now you've just more or less agreed with me by claiming that right wing organisations have never been stronger than now. Probably because they have those same feelings of resentment.

I like that part. Again, please don't misunderstand me, but after I had lived here for about 5 years, some of my wife's close friends said to me that generally Thai people don't like farang but have to accept them for business purposes. They didn't say it in a bad way or anything and are still our close friends and treat me very very well and as far as I know like me.

13 minutes ago, petedk said:

I like that part. Again, please don't misunderstand me, but after I had lived here for about 5 years, some of my wife's close friends said to me that generally Thai people don't like farang but have to accept them for business purposes. They didn't say it in a bad way or anything and are still our close friends and treat me very very well and as far as I know like me.

I very much doubt that would be a common attitude.

And perhaps it might depend on location. For example, I lived in Sth. Pattaya for about 4 years to be near to my project on the Eastern seaboard.

Today I have no hesitation to say that I came across a number of farang living in Pattaya who I would not allow to ever enter my house.  

5 hours ago, petedk said:

Never say never.

Peter, he had little intention of reading your post carefully. A lot of people just need to pick holes in other peoples' posts

He probably just wanted the opportunity to put across what a well adjusted charismatic fellow he is and how well liked he is by his neighbours. They'll probably elect him as mayor soon.

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

Naughty!

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I very much doubt that would be a common attitude.

And perhaps it might depend on location. For example, I lived in Sth. Pattaya for about 4 years to be near to my project on the Eastern seaboard.

Today I have no hesitation to say that I came across a number of farang living in Pattaya who I would not allow to ever enter my house.  

I know exactly what you mean about South Pattaya when I stayed in the Yensabai Condotel one time on holiday about 16 years ago.

But that was because of the ladyboys wandering the corridors looking for trade or something to pinch. Mind you some of their punters seemed a bit iffy as well.

Most of us know instinctively whether or not to allow someone to enter their home. In London I simply do not answer my street door any more regardless of whoever it may be unless I know who it is or am expecting someone.

3 hours ago, petedk said:

the '... don't like farang... bit, obsevation has a double prong in there

- they don't historically like the French; and because we all look alike, we others are all painted with the same brush

and the '...accept them for business purposes.'

- well that covers the practice that they don't have to actually Love their boyfriend(s) ????‍♀️????‍♂️

The economy has been in the tank for several years now-Thanks Junta!

Ask any Thai and most will tell you of their struggles.

I suspect the outrageous behavior of the Benz-couple may be inspired from that type of stress, like the family biz going down the tube,or whatever along those economic lines.

Behind that calm veneer people are packing around huge debt loads and it only takes +38c heat and a happy go lucky Farang walking his doggy in "Their" soi to push a mild mannered Thai into a psychotic-break.

As for the "soi-boss"....the guys probably been kicked around his whole life,just wants to feel important or powerful,buy him some local lao and you'll have a friend for life.

mmm....I'd move if I was you.

On 5/29/2019 at 1:02 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

A lot of the hostility in the west was originally about 'taking job's'. Now it is about gaming the benefits system/healthcare etc. Look at the Thai uproar if they think foreigners are stealing jobs in one part of the country. Foreigners don't take a penny out of the system here & they put plenty in!

Where I come from the people bankrupting our benefits and healthcare while leaving nothing behind are called Baby Boomers.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:13 AM, morrobay said:

I dont know if you are Thai but noticed that you have been suggesting that Thais are very aware of the onine criticism about them. So are you aware first hand that alot of Thais are fed up with the online condensending   comments on English forums ?  And if so how widespread  in the social strata is this both vertical and horizontal ?

dont really get your vertical/horizontal question?

No, im not Thai and im not saying for sure if who, or what Thais reads the English comments on here.

But i do find it incredible funny when a poster say stuff like

"lucky Thais cant read the comments on here"

There are Thais that studied and lived abroad you know.

Apparently ones who even own luxury property in N.Y and London.

You think none of them can read/comprehend English?

You think every PM everywhere dont have advisers/colleagues that might pass on such stuff?

and BTW, who translates the Thai PM televised speeches in perfect English?

As i said before "Thais love to gossip"

Even if 1 educated Thai reads some comment here it has s chance to get spread a thousands of ways in Thai social media.

Id wager theres many more Thais can understand written English than there are farangs who can understand and comprehend written Thai!

Vertical would be by class: lower, middle and upper class. Horizontal would be how widespread within any given class. But as you say, with the internet it just takes one English literate Thai to go online in the Thai language forums and 1000's of all classes of Thais are aware of condescending comments by foreigners. Maybe those here with a Thai partner can address how widespread this actually is. And this is for sure related to the OP: Attitudes towards foreigners are going downhill and Thais being made aware of condescending comments online could be one of the reasons. 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:50 AM, HaleySabai said:

The economy has been in the tank for several years now-Thanks Junta!

Don't blame that on the junta.

The economy tanked far worse in 1997, and hasn't really recovered, given the Thaksin effect.

IMO. the expectations of the Thai people has exceeded the ability of the economy to meet, and because they think they should be doing better than they are, they get frustrated.

Anyway, outside Bkk, and all the usual problems of a big city, the Thais I interacted with in the village or Lamphun did not seem unhappy.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, morrobay said:

Attitudes towards foreigners are going downhill

I just never saw that, but I didn't live in Bkk.

Actually, most of the Thais I had problems with were in Bkk, and there were only a very few of those wherever they were.

I never had dealings with Thais that thought themselves important ( except in officialdom ) or special, and just met ordinary Thais doing ordinary jobs for the most part. The only awful ordinary Thais I met were, unfortunately, my in laws, but that was because they were not nice people, and not because they didn't like farangs. In fact they wanted my wife to divorce me and marry a rich farang that would give them lots of money, so they liked farangs, just not me.

Archived