Are things changing?

petedk

20 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

A lot of the hostility in the west was originally about 'taking job's'.

Now it is about gaming the benefits system/healthcare etc.

Look at the Thai uproar if they think foreigners are stealing jobs in one part of the country.

Foreigners don't take a penny out of the system here & they put plenty in!

Which shows that Thailand has got things right with migrants  and the west has not

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Poppycock.  Things are as good as eveh.  Me and my Bros may take a canoe trip soon...........

5005d54623f40.image.jpg?resize=490,360

Just be certain that you aren't the one who is forced to bend over (but up to you).

2 hours ago, petedk said:

2 hours ago, petedk said:

I just feel that Thailand is slowly changing and becoming more westernised, which is a great pity.

Slowly?

Seems it is quickly changing as is a place like Vietnam.

Most young people want to be or already joining the westernized social media lifestyles.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:42 AM, from the home of CC said:

If you've never experienced it in 20 yrs why would say 'Thai hostility is maybe a world wide trend now'? And how long has this been 'trending'? Get rid of the mongrel and maybe you won't piss off so many people.

Not helpful.

22 hours ago, mike787 said:

It's a good point.  Some locations more so in Thailand are as you describe than others.  Thais seem burned out from all the ethnic abuse from a large majority of foreigners 

What "ethnic abuse" are you referring to ?

20 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

well i guess constant online criticism from foriegners,

I dont know if you are Thai but noticed that you have been suggesting that Thais are very aware of the onine criticism about them. So are you aware first hand that alot of Thais are fed up with the online condensending   comments on English forums ?  And if so how widespread  in the social strata is this both vertical and horizontal ?

On 5/29/2019 at 10:15 AM, petedk said:

haha I get on well with most people (including the farangs who live here)

As I said, I have been here 20 years and never experienced it either.

but you DID start a thread about hostility towards farangs which seems based on very isolated incidents with one or two Thais.   did you happen to step in some dog poo and then point your foot at them ?

I hear that can upset some thais  .   

Come live out here in the country.   Everyone smiles...and plenty of space for dog poo

On 5/29/2019 at 10:01 AM, Swiss1960 said:

You really seem to be the heart, soul and joy of your soi.....

That said, I never had a Thai shout at me or threaten me in all the years I live here now... only some faring blokes who think themselves kings of the world...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have lived here in a small town/village for 13 years now and never had any problems with any Thais, cannot think of any occasion any Thai has ever shouted at me, I have walked my dog, walked alone, ridden my pedal bike, motorbike, driven my truck around the village.

I have had many jobs done on my house, property, motorbikes over the years which have all been highly satisfactory.

Apart from the very unfairness of Thai immigration, and the dreadful driving and riding by the biggest majority of Thais, and their sad lack of common sense, I have no problem with the Thais or living here in Thailand.

If the OP has had all that trouble with ordinary Thai people, maybe he needs to look at his own attitude towards them.

Things are always changing. But the bigger question is how are your changing with the way things are changing. Can you take the change in stride? Or are you stuck in your old ways? Are you angry, sad, morose? Or are your happy and joyful? The only thing constant in life is change.

Start carrying your smartphone with the Video queued up and when 'crazy man', i.e. Soi Sheriff start a round of verbal abuse - capture it on video.  Then post it on Social Media as well Thai Visa, especially if you are threatened with violence.  Then file a complaint with the police too.

"He said"/"She said" doesn't get you much traction.  You need video proof in this day and age.

19 minutes ago, Kasane said:

Things are always changing. But the bigger question is how are your changing with the way things are changing. Can you take the change in stride? Or are you stuck in your old ways? Are you angry, sad, morose? Or are your happy and joyful? The only thing constant in life is change.

Brilliant!

Should be the header of every TV thread.

To add, no it seems most cannot adapt to change.  They live life with a "just leave me be" attitude with no forward thinking or adaptation abilities.  They seem to treasure the days when mommy took care of them.

20 years ago people were poorer and had access to less information. 

There was an assumption farangs here would be wealthy, and therefore powerful given the Thai unshakable connection between the two. 

So people were polite as they feared consequences if they weren't unless they were hiso themselves. 

Now with very easy access to massive amounts of information they can see most farangs aren't powerful in the slightest here and so the self-important have nothing to fear from abusing them.

People generally are not so polite anywhere anymore.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:15 AM, petedk said:

haha I get on well with most people (including the farangs who live here)

As I said, I have been here 20 years and never experienced it either.

You have to face it that there a lot of Thai people who resent falang and other people's presence in their country.

Your antagonist regards that bit of waste ground as being part of his country while definitely not part of yours. He does not even want you living there. That's what he's telling you.

They are very nationalistic which is some thing many falangs from the liberal Western countries just can't get their heads around especially when you vector envy into the situation as well.

They want us to come to the LOS on holiday, spend our money and then go back home. When you do that they'll be all smiles and sweetness and light as long as they're getting some of that money.

Perhaps you are beginning to overstay your welcome. Perhaps the locals never wanted you there in the first place.

Think about moving tp Pattaya instead where it's easier for a falang to blend in and few Thais will know whether you're an ex pat or a holiday maker.

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Brilliant!

Should be the header of every TV thread.

To add, no it seems most cannot adapt to change.  They live life with a "just leave me be" attitude with no forward thinking or adaptation abilities.  They seem to treasure the days when mommy took care of them.

Change is more easily adapted to by younger people.

Once your old you resist change, overtly or covertly. When challenged claim it's nostalgia!

15 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Now with very easy access to massive amounts of information they can see most farangs aren't powerful in the slightest here and so the self-important have nothing to fear from abusing them.

I look powerful enough to not attract insults from locals, unless there's ten of them.

Not to mention my pit bull poops wherever he wants and nobody says a word.

Could be anti-farangism but with the dog thing, I see people all over the world get angry at every dog even though only one dog, and probably stray, was the culprit. Get your dog a backward facing dash cam.  The issue with the backing up issue, it could simply be common road rage.

Whenever someone gets angry at someone else there is a tendency to label that other person.  You fat so and so, you black so and so, you old so and so or anything else that labels them different. 

23 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

300 million baht, a drop in the ocean considering how much they cream in and rip people off.

Maybe if they made the place a bit safer too!

I can't imagine those figures have been audited either, just another guesstimate to create a narrative they are pushing.

Extremely hard for a foreigner to leave a hospital without paying. 

Sometimes it's even harder for a foreigner to get seen in a hospital without paying first.

5 hours ago, petedk said:

I agree with you. I have had many good experiences here, similar to yours, but I guess we usually write about the bad experiences.

With these 2 guys I kept very calm and just talked to them nicely, but they were already worked up and screaming before I even had a chance to say anything.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Only last night did I see the "sheriff" shouting at some Chinese tourists. I have no idea what it was about.

Someone PMed me and asked why I call him the "sheriff".

Haha well, as I said, he likes to wear a police helmet and a bright orange police vest (when he is not half naked). Actually I have always kind of respected him, because as soon as there are any problems (usually traffic related) on the soi, he is there to sort things out. When any of the nearby pubs have events, he is there on his motorbike directing traffic. I have also seen him walking around our area of the soi writing down the registration numbers of cars. (God knows why).

I think some people have got me wrong. I am not against Thai people in anyway. I have many good Thai friends and wherever I go I enjoy the friendliness of Thai people ( and honesty). I have experienced good deeds of honesty that would NEVER happen back home.

I lived in Copenhagen for many years and to be truthful... many Danes were very hostile to other people.

In England, my home country I saw many hostile activities.

I just feel that Thailand is slowly changing and becoming more westernised, which is a great pity.

You are experiencing what many of our Western countries are. 

The breakdown and failure of an unwanted multicultural society. In Thailand's case before it's even had a chance to establish itself.

Imagine what would happen if they started doling out council houses, benefit payments, free health care and education like they do in Madhouse Britain.

25 minutes ago, Benroon said:

factually incorrect - didn't she change you ? (only you've mentioned it once or twice) ????

She lives off welfare alone with her dogs, I was never replaced.

I just moved in with a new woman and had more kids.

It's amazing how easy it is to replace a woman in Thailand/Asia, and always with a younger and better looking one.

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Crap - name a country where the indigenous population has taken to immigration kindly - right wing organisations have never been stronger than now

However I've yet to feel any resentment towards me for being a foreigner (apart from the Mrs)

Well how is it 'crap' then. I'm not being funny, I'd really like to know.

I'm not even aware of 'a country where the indigenous population has taken to immigration kindly.

I just said that a lot of Thai people resent foreign intruders in their country now you've just more or less agreed with me by claiming that right wing organisations have never been stronger than now. Probably because they have those same feelings of resentment.

How does 'crap' enter the equation?

It's the same territorial nature that comes out of many people wherever they may be.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:47 AM, robblok said:

idiots and racists

I understand about idiots, but racist!!! (I don’t really want to go through race details). It could be just a matter of nationalism. What some do just trying to show and enforce that they are the only one who have right to rule the town no matter right or wrong which happens by some in any country, any town. 

Once upon time there was a dog that was barking a lot for no obvious reason. Someone asked the dog why are you trying to frighten people ? The dog replied, because “I’m” frightened.  

I’m guessing you are English? I don’t think what you are describing is exclusively a Thai thing. In your home country “foreigners” are not as welcome as they used to be, I’ve seen countless TV interviews of Brexit supporters talking about “foreigners” and “immigrants”, something that would never have happened a few years ago. The irony of the Brexit debates on Thai Visa is that many Thai based immigrants are complaining about immigrants in their home country? Look at Trump’s America, the same anti-immigration rhetoric from populist politicians we’d have laughed at a few years back ... and it’s  popping up in France, Italy, Sweden and many other countries. We are seeing a rise in nationalism and the scapegoating of immigrants. We’re not quite at the level of the 1930s yet, but I sense we are going there. The world is not a happy place at the moment. 

Archived