Fluorescent Light Upgrade

mogandave

We have a lot of old 36” fluorescent lights in our building and I would like to update them with more energy efficient units, as they are all on at least 12 hours a day, and a number of them are on 24/7.

How much of a benefit can I expect when just switching to LED tubes?

If I have multi-tube fixtures that are recessed in the ceiling, do I need to change out the ballasts to get good savings?

Would the savings be much better if changed out the fixtures altogether?

Finally, there seems to be a pretty wide variety of products available in all price ranges. What do I really need to look for in new tubes, ballasts and fixtures?

You need compare electrical draw specs between

the two, LED/Flourescent.

LED are more efficient.

The LED replacement kits have wiring instructions.

New fixtures are not expensive either.

Go shop-ping.

Lots of cool products.

LED would be the most efficient on a power usage basis.

BUT

Some people don't like the colour / harshness of LED. If this is you then you can still save significant amounts of power over the existing magnetic ballasts by replacing them with electronic ballasts.

LED would be the most efficient on a power usage basis.

BUT

Some people don't like the colour / harshness of LED. If this is you then you can still save significant amounts of power over the existing magnetic ballasts by replacing them with electronic ballasts.

I can use traditional tubes and upgrade to electronic ballasts and get similar savings?

I assume the starter is discarded, but are the old ends/sockets usable?

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I can use traditional tubes and upgrade to electronic ballasts and get similar savings?

I assume the starter is discarded, but are the old ends/sockets usable?

Yup, the energy savings are not quite as great as they would be with LED, but still significant over magnetic ballasts, the tubes will last longer with electronic ballasts too.

You throw away the contents, if the ends are in good condition you can re-use but if not you can buy replacements.

There are plenty of tube replacements with the same form factor. They come with a 'fake' starter that bypasses the thing.

Ballast removal is optional, if you do so you save a tiny bit more.

The tubes come in different color temperatures now, if you want harsh, use fluorescent tubes... LEDs have a way better color spectrum.

Yup, the energy savings are not quite as great as they would be with LED, but still significant over magnetic ballasts, the tubes will last longer with electronic ballasts too.

You throw away the contents, if the ends are in good condition you can re-use but if not you can buy replacements.

Thanks, I think I’ll just upgrade the recessed cans (they’re pretty nice) and maybe replace the old single-tube cans.

Would I get much more savings upgrading the tubes and ballasts?

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Would I get much more savings upgrading the tubes and ballasts?

You should save 15-20% energy cost with electronic vs magnetic ballasts. Also, as the tubes will last longer you save on replacement costs.

Archived