Is the prohibition to work, after sixty, applicable to ALL residents, or just government and education employees>>

i frequently see many in their sixties holding down very responsible positions. The law, as written, makes little sense. Can you work after sixty or not?? This rule would appear to create a poverty class which is virtually without end. With no Universal Health Insurance, an "agewave" appears to be looming which could bankrupt the economy. Meanwhile, the Thails quibble about the relatively small numbers of farangs which are causing problems for hospitals.

• Haha 2

I am going through this right now. After 15 continuous years at a school, I turned 60 in Feb. Was informed in March that my contract is not going to be renewed. I am sure they are wrong but reliable legal advice and action is expensive. Siam legal quoted me 150,000 baht to write a letter.  Semptember is looming and I do not know where to turn.

Edited by revup
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know someone working who I believe is pushing 70, employed as long as I've known him 65+. When I changed jobs I asked if they employ past 60, said yes. There are at least 4 persons at my current employer who appear to be 65+ one pushing 70 (+).

Schools may not see it worthwhile to pay a teacher's medical insurance past 60, especially if the school is ordinary and not well endowed. A school I left the teacher asked me to stay, told me she'd do everything possible to keep me on past 60. Thai teachers are often brought back for 1-2 years after retirement if needed.

Edited by Number 6

16 hours ago, fleur3 said:

i believe that no country in the world has forbidden to work after you are 60 or 65

I seem to recall Saudi Arabia would not issue work permits for many categories of foreign workers beyond 60.