[REPORT] Non-O at HMC + bonus trip

HCMC single entry ticket needs flight tickets out, but MEV for marriage dies not need flight tickets out? Money in bank required, or appointment needed? Did you have a history of visa extensions in passport already?

Thanks for your report! It was nice to read about your experience in Vietnam. It sounds like that Ho Coc area is just a nice beach taken over by beach resorts and has very little besides that to see and do. Vung Tau just a bit south from there is a quiet town with markets by a nice and sometimes even busy beach. It can be reached directly by a boat from HCMC. Nha Trang Is a bit bigger town with beach tourism. My favorite area so far is most definitely the Danang area beaches farther north though. Those have easy access to historically interesting Hoi An and Hue. Anybody been to Phu Quoc island in the south next to Cambodia?

2 minutes ago, Danthai said:

HCMC single entry ticket needs flight tickets out, but MEV for marriage dies not need flight tickets out? Money in bank required, or appointment needed? Did you have a history of visa extensions in passport already?

Generally, there are no booked ticket out requirement for any of the Non-Imm type visa stays whether single or multiple entry by the immigration in Thailand. It would make a little sense for the consulate to require that. Tourist visas are not meant for long term stays so must show a booking for a ticket out. 

12 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

It would make a little sense for the consulate to require that. Tourist visas are not meant for long term stays so must show a booking for a ticket out. 

Perhaps, though they also want a ticket into Thailand. I am not sure whether they want to ensure people are getting a visa to use it, or want to make sure people are planning to fly to Thailand rather than travelling in by land.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Perhaps, though they also want a ticket into Thailand. I am not sure whether they want to ensure people are getting a visa to use it, or want to make sure people are planning to fly to Thailand rather than travelling in by land.

That is very possible but I would hope a land ticket with Cambo visa in this case to be the answer. I was making a point that non-imm visas are not required to actually know when they will leave again. Very different from tourist visa category.

My recent planning for a similar trip, fly in HCMC and return to Thailand by land involves a dilemma for qualifying the free 15 days on arrival at HCMC for which a flight out is usually asked for. What kind of bus ticket could be booked online for HCMC to PP and what if I prefer to use a taxi? I suppose it's best to get the Cambo visa in BKK beforehand.

Edited by zhangxifu
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

My recent planning for a similar trip, fly in HCMC and return to Thailand by land involves a dilemma for qualifying the free 15 days on arrival at HCMC for which a flight out is usually asked for.

Problem is they won't let you board the plane to HCMC without either a VISA or a plane ticket out.

Tried bus ticket, no go.

Cheapest flight out of Vietnam is 600-1,000bht, buy and discard.

No need to buy Cambodia VISA in advance.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tayaout said:

SETV need ticket into Thailand and probably out too. 

At HCMC, a flight out within 60 days - though some got it with a flight out within 90-days, stating they would buy an extension. In at least one case, a note was put on the visa to this effect, but they did not have a problem when entering Thailand.

22 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I don't plan on doing marriage extension until I am forced to. 

Given the (colorful word) they put us through for supporting a Thai wife, that is also my position.  When/if no other way, I expect to have to pay significant "tea money" for my entirely legit application.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

At HCMC, a flight out within 60 days - though some got it with a flight out within 90-days, stating they would buy an extension. In at least one case, a note was put on the visa to this effect, but they did not have a problem when entering Thailand.

Given the (colorful word) they put us through for supporting a Thai wife, that is also my position.  When/if no other way, I expect to have to pay significant "tea money" for my entirely legit application.

I will open a bank account and transfer at least 40K baht per month from abroad. This way if I'm forced to do an extension hopefully this will be accepted as income method. There is always the possibility it won't if they choose to increase the amount required... 

25 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I will open a bank account and transfer at least 40K baht per month from abroad. This way if I'm forced to do an extension hopefully this will be accepted as income method. There is always the possibility it won't if they choose to increase the amount required... 

I've been doing that as well, but my local office won't accept it (sans bribe) unless I also have proof the income is "from a state pension."  Other offices don't play that card to avoid granting the extension, but may play other cards. 

If renting, before applying for a marriage-based extension, be sure your landlord will provide signed-by-him copies of:

• His ID
  • His Housebook
  • The Housebook of where you rent
  • The Chanote of where you rent
  • Rental Contract

Move, if necessary, to get a landlord that will supply these, or some offices will use lack of them to deny an extension.  None of this is necessary if using an agent, of course - or even proof of income/money - but best to have independent-proof you are legit, separate from whatever an agent "works out" with the IO.  

You may decide to use an agent, even if your application is legit, to save multiple trips for "extra made-up requirements," or protect your wife from being verbally-abused by the IO - treated like a traitor to her country by marrying you and "letting another farang in."

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

There is always the possibility it won't if they choose to increase the amount required... 

The chance of it being increased is very small. If they did there would be at least a one year grace period to meet the new requirement. 

It certainly would not be done retroactively which would mean any transfers you did would still be accepted.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I've been doing that as well, but my local office won't accept it (sans bribe) unless I also have proof the income is "from a state pension."  Other offices don't play that card to avoid granting the extension, but may play other cards. 

If renting, before applying for a marriage-based extension, be sure your landlord will provide signed-by-him copies of:

• His ID
  • His Housebook
  • The Housebook of where you rent
  • The Chanote of where you rent
  • Rental Contract

Move, if necessary, to get a landlord that will supply these, or some offices will use lack of them to deny an extension.  None of this is necessary if using an agent, of course - or even proof of income/money - but best to have independent-proof you are legit, separate from whatever an agent "works out" with the IO.  

You may decide to use an agent, even if your application is legit, to save multiple trips for "extra made-up requirements," or protect your wife from being verbally-abused by the IO - treated like a traitor to her country by marrying you and "letting another farang in."

And where do you live? 

In Bangkok, many tenants have managed TM30 report done by themselves only with a rental contract. And it doesn't even come with abuse.

I had a valid TM-30.  That wasn't good enough for the "family desk".  We gave up on the 3rd visit, when they insisted the landlord fly back to Thailand, to make a trip to the amphoe for a "newer version" house-book copy.  They were going to come visit anyway, so was not a question of "If we really lived there."  Our witness was the security guard from the condo - where we had been living for Years at the time.  It was nothing but a scam-attempt - so I went and got a Visa, instead.

Sorry to hear that. I had no idea Pattaya was so difficult about marriage extensions. It’s not even a TM30 issue. But now, with the TM30 done, it’s not enough for the extension docs. Very weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

55 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Sorry to hear that. I had no idea Pattaya was so difficult about marriage extensions. It’s not even a TM30 issue. But now, with the TM30 done, it’s not enough for the extension docs. Very weird.

If you own your own condo, you only have the wife-grilling and ever-changing photo requirements to deal with - plus the standard list - so usually can be done in 2 visits. 

I believe I recall reading a Bangkok report and at least one other, indicating marriage applicants were also hit for "special landlord docs" beyond the TM-30.  It seems to have "caught on" as a clever way to prevent marriage based extension applications.   Other offices seem to use this standard for the TM-30, alone.

Best for renters to ensure that, where ever they move, before making the deposit, insist these docs are provided.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The chance of it being increased is very small. If they did there would be at least a one year grace period to meet the new requirement. 

It certainly would not be done retroactively which would mean any transfers you did would still be accepted.

Perhaps so, but some offices are reported not to be providing leniency in terms of the required 12 months of deposits for extensions, in spite of the guidance to do so. It is a fact that, at rogue offices, they try to make extensions impossible without using agents.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

Perhaps so, but some offices are reported not to be providing leniency in terms of the required 12 months of deposits for extensions, in spite of the guidance to do so. It is a fact that, at rogue offices, they try to make extensions impossible without using agents.

The increase would be in a police order and the police order would be written such that it would include a grace period. That is how it has been done when a significant change was made.

A police order is not the same a memorandum issued to the head of the immigration bureau. Apparently they forgot to put that in the police order or they assumed that people were already bring their money into the country.