How can my Thai 'GF' holiday in the UK?

Hi, I'm looking for some advice.

I've been visiting Thailand for regularly for nearly 20 years, and hope to live there within the next 5-10 years. There's this one particular lady who I've been friends with for about 10 years, and for the last couple of years we became a lot closer. I've played the field in LOS a lot over the years, but I'm starting think I might have found one I could settle with. But I am cautious by nature, and I know spending brief amounts of time with this girl gives no indication as to whether I'd want to be with her full time. 

I'm wondering how difficult and how expensive it would be to bring her over to the UK for a 2-3 week holiday so I can get to know her better away from the holiday environment. I'd also really enjoy showing her around the UK. 

She already has a passport. I'd take care of travel costs, and she'd stay at my place, so I'm only talking about administrative/visa costs. She's asked a few of her friends and had different estimates ranging from 150,000 to 800,000 baht to get a visa. One friend also told her they would need to see photos of the two of us together, and some evidence of me having given her some support, e.g. copies of WU transactions. 

Possibly also relevant; she recently started a food stall with her cousin in one of the northern provinces, and prior to that she had various jobs, e.g. hotel reception, beauty spa reception etc. This is in case occupation comes into play for visas. 

I'd be grateful for any advice on this. 

Many thanks

A friend coming to visit for two or three weeks? That’s a tourist visa innit?

I doubt photos of you together will mean a lot, unless she’s visiting as your wife or fiancé..? Pretty sure that’s a different visa?

But yeah, an invitation letter from you providing evidence of your ability to cover her for food, accommodation, sightseeing and travel costs won’t go astray. Include recent bank statements, pay slips, maybe a pic of your house, her sightseeing itinerary in the UK etc.

The main thing is convincing immigration she will return to Thailand. She’ll need a pretty strong reason why she must return home, otherwise I dare say it’s not gonna be easy.

• Thanks 1

She's asked a few of her friends and had different estimates ranging from 150,000 to 800,000 baht to get a visa.

typical, if that's what her friends say then it must be true. tell her to do some proper research/fact finding.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

She's asked a few of her friends and had different estimates ranging from 150,000 to 800,000 baht to get a visa.

typical, if that's what her friends say then it must be true. tell her to do some proper research/fact finding.

This is the reason she's asked me to check, because she's fully aware that's way too much and that I won't pay it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Duffman88 said:

The hardest part will probably be returnability. I'd say past jobs are fairly irrelevant as what you have to show is that she will come back to Thailand in the future. You need to try and show a reason why she needs to return to her current job/business after the trip. Also if she owns property, leases property etc documents showing that will help.

18 minutes ago, aircooledflat4 said:

The main thing is convincing immigration she will return to Thailand. She’ll need a pretty strong reason why she must return home, otherwise I dare say it’s not gonna be easy.

Thanks Duffman88 and aircooledflat4. The returnability factor is something I hadn't and should've considered. 

14 minutes ago, Blue Mango said:

Thanks Duffman88 and aircooledflat4. The returnability factor is something I hadn't and should've considered. 

That is the biggest hurdle to over come.  if she has a job then a letter from her employer, showing that she has a set holiday period and then a job when she returns is a big help.  If she has no job, but is looking after relatives and the primary carer and has kids here, then prove that and it also helps.  If she has neither of those things I doubt that a visa will be granted, but its always worth a try if you don't mind losing the fee. Use of a good (but expensive) visa agent in Bangkok can help too.  Good luck 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blue Mango said:

She already has a passport. I'd take care of travel costs, and she'd stay at my place, so I'm only talking about administrative/visa costs. She's asked a few of her friends and had different estimates ranging from 150,000 to 800,000 baht to get a visa. One friend also told her they would need to see photos of the two of us together, and some evidence of me having given her some support, e.g. copies of WU transactions. 

Possibly also relevant; she recently started a food stall with her cousin in one of the northern provinces, and prior to that she had various jobs, e.g. hotel reception, beauty spa reception etc. This is in case occupation comes into play for visas. 

Do not mention that you send her money, if you can avoid it. If you are keeping her financially, the ECO will assume that she won’t go home as her primary source of funds is in the UK. They no longer expect photos of the two of you. Joint hotel and flight bookings are far more useful. If possible don't supply her bank statements at all. Just explain that she is paid in cash and it pays her rent. living etc and is never banked.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Have you considered looking at the UK Gov website with respect to VISA applications ? All VISA costs are listed and the requirements too.

No, stupidly I haven't. I suppose I just figured Thailand being Thailand there would be all sorts of rules/costs etc. that would be applied that end. I'll check UK Gov, cheers

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

You mention she has a food stall, is that on the side of a road or something more permanent, if the latter she should provide details of the business, and who will be taking care whilst she's on holiday.

This is the type of food stall. I guess you could say half way between a restaurant and a side of the road thing. Her and her cousin run it, so her cousin would be taking care of it if she travels. Thanks

Food stall.PNG

Good luck with your application, I took my Mrs/GF back to the UK about 5 years back, we had a hard back file with the plastic inserts, we included photos of us with her family, invites from friends and family, boarding passes for flights to Singapore & Bali, we went to a friends wedding in Singapore and included pics from that and evidence of the Hotel we stayed in etc etc.

Her name is the the documents for the car, a Fortuna, only a year old at the time and her Motorbike

You will have to prove that you can support her financially and also cover any hospital costs, so insurance for her is a must.

So basically my friend give them everything you possibly can, if you have travelled within Thailand together include all that, the more they have the better for you IMHO. Best of luck, let us know how you get on ????

• Thanks 1

Lots of inaccurate info on here.  A visa company cannot guarantee a visa.

Travel insurance is advisable from a peace of mind point of view. Somebody here in the UK on a visit visa would only qualify for emergency treatment but is not required for a visit visa.

Having kids, cars or motorbikes has no bearing on a visit visa at all.

Five years ago photos were requested. Not any more.

• Like 2

This is probably a(nother) stupid question, but if we forget about the GF element of this topic, why can't a person from Thailand simply go on a holiday to the UK? If an ordinary Thai man or woman just wants to go on holiday in the UK is it always so difficult? Millions of tourists from all over the world come to the UK all year round; Chinese, Japanese etc. 

In fact I do know a Thai who's a permanent UK resident, and her friends fly in from Thailand to visit her all the time. She is hi-so though, so maybe that's it? Only Thais of a certain standing are allowed to holiday in the UK? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blue Mango said:

This is probably a(nother) stupid question, but if we forget about the GF element of this topic, why can't a person from Thailand simply go on a holiday to the UK? If an ordinary Thai man or woman just wants to go on holiday in the UK is it always so difficult? Millions of tourists from all over the world come to the UK all year round; Chinese, Japanese etc. 

In fact I do know a Thai who's a permanent UK resident, and her friends fly in from Thailand to visit her all the time. She is hi-so though, so maybe that's it? Only Thais of a certain standing are allowed to holiday in the UK? 

They can.

They only need sponsors if they can’t afford to go themselves.

Most of the applicants at VfS are not ‘boyfriend sponsored’ applicants.

• Like 2

Some of the comments posted here are misleading, the website you need to look at is for the British Embassy in Bangkok as they will be deciding whether or not she receives a visa. The UK Government are very concerned about Thai females visiting and then disappearing and not leaving. Many of the young Thai ladies believe, as did Dick Whittingdon, that the Streets of London are paved with gold. 
Actually the visa decision will be made by an ECO employed by UKVI in Delhi. Theoldgit has already posted the relevant link.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They can.

They only need sponsors if they can’t afford to go themselves.

Most of the applicants at VfS are not ‘boyfriend sponsored’ applicants.
Indeed. It's very straightforward for many Thais to get UK Visitor visas if they can show the trip is affordable and that they will return. Strangely most British boyfriends go for Thai girlfriends who cannot easily show thism

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The visa is about 4,000 Baht, no need to have proof you sent her money but you will need to show means of supporting her. Typical scam is telling guys they need to have money in their bank...its not true.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Good luck with your application, I took my Mrs/GF back to the UK about 5 years back, we had a hard back file with the plastic inserts, we included photos of us with her family, invites from friends and family, boarding passes for flights to Singapore & Bali, we went to a friends wedding in Singapore and included pics from that and evidence of the Hotel we stayed in etc etc.

Her name is the the documents for the car, a Fortuna, only a year old at the time and her Motorbike

You will have to prove that you can support her financially and also cover any hospital costs, so insurance for her is a must.

So basically my friend give them everything you possibly can, if you have travelled within Thailand together include all that, the more they have the better for you IMHO. Best of luck, let us know how you get on ????

You are giving far too much information. No need for photos, insurance is not a must, no need to prove you can pay hospital bills (emergency hospital treatment is free anyway).

You need to show relationship, the fact that your girlfirend/wife needs to return to Thailand, proof of where you will stay in Thailand and proof that you can support her if her own funds are not sufficient.

What my wife gave with her application: marriage certificate, own letter showing employment that she must return too (my wife is self employed), bank statement from her bank showing earnings for last 6 months, my bank statement showing money in UK and letter from my parents inviting us to stay at their house.

Seems the only difference between this and the OP is how he will prove relationship. Usually proof continual contact (phone calls, emails, etc)

• Like 1

As mentioned previously there is a fair bit of misleading "advice" been given, please keep in mind that the OP has come to this forum for up to date advice, not what various people recall happening years ago when they submitted applications, I'm sure the advice is well meant but it can be misleading.

This is the advice given by the UKVI in respect of supporting documents, you will note that photographs are specifically excluded, though as I mentioned earlier some applicants still send them but I'm not sure if the ECO's still take them into consideration. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/549692/Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_English_version.pdf

A couple of other points from earlier posts, it's correct to say that Entry Clearance, a visa, doesn't guarantee that the visa holder will be landed, be given leave to enter the UK, the Border Force Officer can refuse entry, but only if they can satisfy a manager that there has been a change of circumstances since the visa was issued or that it was obtained fraudulenty. 

A return ticket isn't actually required, whilst some Border Force Officers will routinely ask for sight of a return ticket, having one doesn't mean the person will actually return, what the passenger does need to do is satisfy the Border Force that they have the means to return.

The use of an agent is a personal choice and, has been pointed out earlier, the use of an agent doesn't guarantee that a visa will be issued. An agent can advise an applicant, and some applicants find this comforting, but the applicant will still need to provide all the evidence to suppoert their application. It has to be said that there are a lot of agents out there, many circling outside Trendy waiting to pouce, many will promise the earth and then fail to deliver, I would probably only recommend one agent based in Pattaya and one retired ECO who advises another agent, but does take on private work.

Guide to supporting documents said:

Section 4: documents you should not send unless specifically requested.

This page provides guidance on the types of documents that are not required to consider your application. 

* if you are applying as a family/group you do not need to provide multiple copies of the same documents  

* bank statements or letters issued more than 1 year before the date of application

driving licence

photographs (other than passport photographs required in section 1)

* notarial 

* business cards

* hotel bookings 

* flight bookings

* photocopies of bank cards

* credit card statements

* certificates relating to leisure activities

* evidence of car ownership

* travel insurance

* sponsor’s utility bills

* sponsor’s council tax bills

* educational certificates (unless specifically listed in section 3)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

Some of the comments posted here are misleading, the website you need to look at is for the British Embassy in Bangkok as they will be deciding whether or not she receives a visa. 

That is completely incorrect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

That's very interesting actually - and a huge penny might have just dropped. So instead of going through the utter ballache of getting a visitor visa for my then girlfriend, lots of time consuming hassle, paperwork, agents for some, and money etc etc she could have just walked up to the VFS and applied independently and I could have just picked her up from Heathrow ??

I'm not going to play the rich hiso heiress card but her family aren't scratching around for bugs  either so I don't think that would have been an issue

Depending n your answer, I feel a facepalm moment coming on …….

Spot on.

A friend did it, she visited her late husband’s mother in the UK. Had money in the bank, an income plus owned a house/land to return to.

Avoids the relationship element of the application...... just need a genuine reason to visit.

10 hours ago, Blue Mango said:

Do you really not know why a lone Thai woman will generally have problems to get a UK visa? Are you really that naive?

• Like 1