Advice- how to deal with a trinket-selling Monk?

receiving a one-on-one Wai back from the Monk!

Only time really having a Monk wai, is during chanting etc

a commoner wai-ing to a Monk has to be lucky to just get a head nod back from a real one...

This nonsense is rife throughout Asia; I've had the same con attempted on me in parks in Shanghai, on the street in the central Philippines (of all places) and in Seoul. It is a con, because these 'monks', whether genuine or not, are attempting to convince you that by buying their trinkets, you are somehow 'making merit' or 'doing good'. 

If you really must think you are 'making merit', go to the Erawan shrine at Rajprasong intersection in Bangkok, pay a little money to release a few birds, then watch them circle around before coming back to their cages, to be fed and watered again till the next mug comes along, which will be very soon. It's called conditioned behaviour, and humans too are prone to it.

On 6/1/2019 at 7:20 AM, Kwasaki said:

1.  Yes many times.

2. I would say " no want, thankyou, have already, thankyou.

3. Don't know you, I would as 2.

4. Maybe, maybe not doesn't matter if dealt with as 2.

5. n/a as far I would be concerned.

Same happened to me a few weeks ago at Hua Hin train station when I was out for my morning walk.

The monk put the elasticated ribbon on my arm then produced an 'amulet' Like the author here I seldom carry cash with me in the mornings.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not wish to have to worry about this as I ride every day.

Why would you worry? Just ignore.

I will never treat a Monk with disrespect

He's probably not a real monk, but no need to even acknowledge his existence. Just ride on by.

I obeyed, came over, got off my bike and Wai-ed

and you know all about the nuances of wai ing then? How high, how long, how much to bow when doing so, who wais first etc etc etc.

Farangs ain't Thai, and unless we are living in Thailand a loooooong time don't know how to do it properly, and it ain't necessary. A polite bow and a smile suffice.

Archived