Advice- how to deal with a trinket-selling Monk?

Hi All

I had a strange experience this morning, and would appreciate any advice/thoughts, especially from more experienced, long-time members and/or those who have taken a 'deep dive' into Thai Buddhism.

I am an early morning/pre-dawn cyclist and usually cycle sometime between 4:30 AM-6 AM as there are fewer cars and it is less hot. However, I have no fixed time and this morning I left my house at 6 AM after the sun was up. I have been doing this for several years, and one (of many!) of the things that I like about it is seeing the monks in their robes walking along the road, collecting their breakfast. Mostly I ignore the monks and they ignore me, but on occasion I will say "Morning!", or smile, or nod to them as I ride by, and on occasion they will return the gesture. 

This morning, as I was cycling along, a Monk on the opposite side of the street waved me over to him and while it was terribly surprising, I obeyed, came over, got off my bike and Wai-ed (it just seemed like the proper thing to do). He looked like a kindly old guy, and I would guess in his mid/late 60s with a robe that while clean was certainly well-worn. He smiled and grabbed my right hand and put a 'plastic-y/elastic-y' bracelet (value = 3-5 baht?) on my wrist and asked in broken English if I liked Buddhism. I replied in my broken Thai that yes, I did like Buddhism. Then, he pulled from his pocket (?!) a necklace (I think) in a small clear plastic wrapper/envelope (something like you would see in a cheap costume jewelry shop) and said "300 Baht". I was floored, but replied in my broken Thai that when I cycle, I do not carry money. He said "Tomorrow", then we both Wai-ed and I continued on my way. 

This was weird as hell to me. If it were in/near a tourist area, perhaps I could understand, but it wasn't (Bang Po, if you know Samui). If it were a young guy doing mandatory training for a week or two, I could understand, but as above I would guess that he was in his mid/late 60s and he looked like he was a long-time Monk. I treated him with respect as I would treat any Monk, Imam, Priest, etc; it is simply in my nature to do so, but...

Any thoughts? 

Tomorrow I will definitely ensure that I get up early and have my cycle before he is 'on the road', but I do not wish to have to worry about this as I ride every day. Further, I will never treat a Monk with disrespect as... it is simply not my nature to do so. That said, I am not going to give him 300 Baht for a trinket, assuming that was what it was.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What would you do? What should I do? Could this be legitimate somehow? If so, how?

Any/all relevant comments appreciated

Cheers

SB

3 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

those who have taken a 'deep dive' into Thai Buddhism.

That's a contradiction in terms. "Thai" Buddhism is Animism with a thin veneer of Buddhism. What he's offering is no different than practices in other superstitious religions - rosary beads blessed by the Pope springs to mind

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

What would you do?

What should I do?

Could this be legitimate somehow?

If so, how?

1.  Yes many times.

2. I would say " no want, thankyou, have already, thankyou.

3. Don't know you, I would as 2.

4. Maybe, maybe not doesn't matter if dealt with as 2.

5. n/a as far I would be concerned.

5 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Long time Monk, long time scammer. Probably go back to his temple and whilst knocking back a bevy or four, laugh with his gang as to how he conned a farang so easily. I think you already know the advise for next time.

The differences in human nature....one.. an example of respect for a stranger ..and two...the complete opposite.

5 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Long time Monk, long time scammer. Probably go back to his temple and whilst knocking back a bevy or four, laugh with his gang as to how he conned a farang so easily. I think you already know the advise for next time.

Or maybe he not a monk at all, and doesn't have a temple, he goes back to his room / shelter outside of a temple.

1 minute ago, dotpoom said:

The differences in human nature....one.. an example of respect for a stranger ..and two...the complete opposite.

So in your world showing respect for a stranger is giving away money for a worthless trinket ? Good on you sir to illustrate that gullibility is alive and kicking in your part of the world.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Or maybe he not a monk at all, and doesn't have a temple, he goes back to his room / shelter outside of a temple.

Agreed as people dressed up in saffron frocks  don't necessarily mean they are a Monk. Just another one of the 300,000 con artists operating in Thailand.

Beyond unusual. I have never heard of such a thing... but good for you for being polite and actually you might have stumbled along a very proper Thai-style answer....

One way to very politely say "No" is to say "proong nee" - tomorrow. When the workers building my house would ask me to buy them whiskey, I would say proong nee... it is a soft rejection, it politely says not today and leaves hope for tomorrow, though it is totally understood as "No". 

I doubt you will have to worry about seeing him again and being stopped. If he wants you to stop, just wave hello and keep riding. 

I have had monks give me amulets, never try and sell one. 

The OP's respect for, and deference to, the elderly "monk", is to be lauded, but respect and deference should be a two-way street.  This guy was simply trying to take advantage of the OP's gentle nature.

You should not change your routine due to some con man in a dress. I have had this happen to me and politely told them NO, when they get persistent and annoying tell them to F off. For me respect is earned and just because some people want to live a fantasy life and dress up as most religious types want to do it does not make them any better than anyone else.

He is being cheeky asking for 300 but that’s because he thinks you are rich .... and you are compared to him.  Give him 20 and he will be tickled and you won’t be so stressed out.  If you can give without hurting yourself and make some happy who is less fortunate than you then why not?

Whenever I'm on the move and strangers approach me, I might react with a nod or a polite "no thanks" or whatever else seems appropriate, but in any case I keep moving. No matter if that stranger happens to be a beggar, a salesperson or a monk.

Just having a ranting argument with yourself/otherself with occasional angry finger pointing at the sky .. Faux Monk'ee boy may then conclude you are not fully loaded upstairs and give you a wide berth .. For added effect you may also wear a straight jacket but in this case as you ride a bike that may be prove to be a touch impractical .. 

Point to the sky and as he looks up kick him in the goolies. As he doubles up knee him hard in the face and as he falls give him a dead leg. 

That will learn him that at best his trinkets are way past their sell by date.

Morning All!

Many thanks for the replies. After reading them, combined with 'sleeping on it', it does become more clear. I have just returned from my morning cycle, but didn't see him or any other Monks as I was out cycling earlier than yesterday.

Many have suggested that he wasn't a real Monk, but I do not believe that is true; I am 99.8% sure he was a legitimate Monk (always good to leave a wee bit of wriggle room). Why do I say that? I am not a 'newbie' fresh off the plane, I have lived in SE Asia for 30+ years and I have actually lived with Monks (from another religion and for work purposes) for a year and he seemed 'Monk-y'. More importantly, the area of Samui (Bang Po) does not lend itself to a fake Monk running scams; there are very few hotels there, it is a 'rural' part of the island so locals would spot an outsider immediately, and there are numerous Monks doing the morning rounds everyday. I just don't think an impostor Monk could work the area without getting caught, and getting caught quickly.

A few members have suggested that he is a 'grifter', and while that may be technically correct, my hunch is that he is a Monk who merely strayed a bit (who among us...). Perhaps he was given the trinkets for some reason? Perhaps he found them and went 'bad' for a day? Perhaps a family member put him up to it for some reason? I don't know, but he didn't seem like an evil person to me. Was this, to borrow a phrase or two from another religion, a "fall from grace" and will he "burn in hellfire for all eternity"? I don't think so. Borrowing further from that other religion, I would simply say...

Judge not lest ye be judged.

I will take Member's advice if I see him again and merely continue riding and/or politely decline if I am offered it again.

Finally on this matter, let me say that @Denim's advice was the "worst" but made me laugh the hardest.

"...Point to the sky and as he looks up kick him in the goolies. As he doubles up knee him hard in the face and as he falls give him a dead leg. 

That will learn him that at best his trinkets are way past their sell by date..."

I think both he and I might be candidates for some therapy...

It has been an interesting week for my cycling, and this morning I had yet another unusual experience.

As I returned home through Mae Nam, I saw a Thai woman on the side of the road removing all her clothes as she held up her phone; I am guessing 'striping for Skype'. As I neared, she removed her bra (sloping yet argumentative hooters; nice!); I genuinely couldn't tell if she was laughing or crying, however I am sure she was drunk as a skunk. I tried to slow down further, but propriety rules that you cannot stop and stare, so I don't know what occurred next. Hmm...

Many cultures believe that things happen in 'threes', so I am looking forward to cycling tomorrow.

Cheers

SB

Archived