AUD is 21.84THB lowest ever recorded

Thailand's hole gets deeper. At end of day they need to export,and exports are taking a dive,looking at average Thai they live on loans,car house ,from each other  ,flat broke in general,and now stirrings of problems invokes another thread.  jobs going because of strong baht,rice/rubber kaput,outdone by cheaper prices elsewhere..and the 3 billion submarine contract needs a strong baht to pay for it all

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

you could say that about the average Australian family.

Household debt is astronomical in australia right now.

Most middle-low income earners are living paycheck to paycheck.

same in Canada,  more than  half the people are 1 or 2 checks away from inability to pay bills..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The headline is totally wrong.

When I first came to live here I was getting 14.8 Bht to the Oz $

I think it may end up testing that low within a few years. I have a condo ready to sell in BKK for a big profit on exchange rate alone but now is not the right time.

When it does happen I will head back to oz where the dollar is still worth a dollar and Im guessing many here will do the same thing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

GBP 39.84/ThB this morning on Oanda. Normally deduct .5 and that's what you;ll roughly get from banks and money changers.

The baht is very strong and shows no signs of weakening at the moment.

Ouch.  Just checked the Transferwise rate and it's 39.83.  That's as low as I've seen it, this is getting really bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

GBP 39.84/ThB this morning on Oanda. Normally deduct .5 and that's what you;ll roughly get from banks and money changers.

The baht is very strong and shows no signs of weakening at the moment.

Not showing?  but the country is,its flat broke,no advertising  the giant billboards are empty,exports virtually on its back,house loans under scrutiny again,  Id say Thailand is heading for another coup

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On the 25th September last year when I exchanged 20,000AUD, I got 469,654 baht or 23.48 baht after transferwise took their fee out.

Last month the day before the federal election back home on the 17th May I got 434,029 baht for the same amount 20,000AUD. I got 21.70 baht to the $ after transferwise took out their fee.

The difference in baht for the same amount is 35,625 or around 8%, that does throw things out a bit, especially when you planned your retirement on the baht being 25 baht, at worst 22 baht, which it is under now and heading further south.

Fortunately for us we have enough to last us for a couple of decades, (worked hard for it, no inheritances), a lot of planning went into this before the move, that said I feel for the pensioners, because most would be under the 40,000 baht per month on the marriage extension, forget the retirement extension of 65,000, so a few would have to be putting in the 400,000 baht for the marriage extension if they didn't do it that way before, and 800,000 baht for the retirement extension, although I have heard the agents are back in business since Big Joke got removed which would help a lot of X-pats who don't have that money to put in the bank to get them out of dire straits.

The above said, I have regigged our budget of 60,000 baht per month to reflect the current situation, i.e. if I was to go out 2 nights less drinking at the local waterhole and not buy the usual 3 x 12 packs of water that I buy weekly, and drink from the big 10 baht bottles we order like the rest of the family, this will save me the pretty much the difference between what I received in September and May, i.e. 32,448 baht.

When the $ goes south, you have to look at ways of adjusting your budget or start going backwards, that said, I will find other things to cut back on so that I get back those two nights out drinking, afterall you can't take a man's drink away from him, heaven forbid. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

and $455,000,000,000 in reserve - as much as I would like to see the baht come unstuck, you're talking nonsense. They've also just RISEN in the world economic rankings

I said a while ago Brits would be dreaming of 40 baht to the pound soon

455 billion dollars in reserve?

6 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Pretty expensive to holiday in thailand, unless you live on a very tight budget and live thai style is it really worth it??

Nope; I miss the hiking in Tassie, even had some good boomboom in our little tent, followed by good sleep, before shaking off the frost at dawn.

(For those who may ask: she wasn't Thai)

• Haha 1