New tires

I have a March/2015 Honda Jazz with 39,000 km on it, that I purchased new.    The tires still look great but my Thai neighbor said I should think about getting new tires since these are over 4 years old and although the tread is good he says the sidewalls could be a problem.    What do you think?    New or hang on to these for another year?

19 hours ago, Spaniel said:

he tires still look great but my Thai neighbor said I should think about getting new tires since these are over 4 years old

Your neighbour sounds like a tyre salesman. ????

As said inspect tyre wall sides & tread usually done at servicing time and drive on.

Edited by Kwasaki

The tread hardens over time and this reduces grip in the dry. They also get noisier and turning the wheel at slow speeds feels heavier. I usually don't get more than 4 years / 40K kms out of my tires (on a sedan). By this time they get quite noisy. Mine always have decent tread left on them, but I change them for the reasons above. Pickup/suv tires seem to last longer. 

If you notice they are too noisy and/or have cracks in them, then it may be time to change. 

• Confused 1

I have a Honda Jazz Oct 2016 , just coming up to 50,000 on the clock.

Have noticed the road noise has increased depending on the surface.

On a whim I called in at B-quik and asked the guy to take it for a spin to see if the road noise is acceptable.

He said he couldn’t hear anything and balancing okay because no steering wobble ( which I already knew ), but going by the date on tyres I should buy a new set .

I showed him the tread markers showing plenty of life, he seemed adamant that it was about the age of the tyre .

Anyway, they are still on but will probably change in another 5,000 or so.

Going for a regular service soon will ask their advice.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have a Honda Jazz Oct 2016 , just coming up to 50,000 on the clock.

Have noticed the road noise has increased depending on the surface.

On a whim I called in at B-quik and asked the guy to take it for a spin to see if the road noise is acceptable.

He said he couldn’t hear anything and balancing okay because no steering wobble ( which I already knew ), but going by the date on tyres I should buy a new set .

I showed him the tread markers showing plenty of life, he seemed adamant that it was about the age of the tyre .

Anyway, they are still on but will probably change in another 5,000 or so.

Going for a regular service soon will ask their advice.

Just carry on driving the thing.....????