Run Flat Tyres Recommendations

pj123

We need to purchase new tyres for my wife’s BMW X1. 49,000 km and the walls on two near side tyres are showing cracking. Also have puncture in one tyre that cannot be repaired. Current tyres came with the car: Bridgestone Turanza T001. Any recommendations for replacements? Cannot find anything online so will ring around tomorrow. Actually finding even normal tyres with this size seems difficult (225/50/R18). Thanks. 

• Like 1

Those runflats are over10K a piece in that size. 

You can get michelin primacy 3 ST for about 7000 baht a piece. I have them on my crv and they are very comfortable. Pirelli, toyo and yokohama, continental and kumho also have tires in this size. You would need to find a big tire show to find them though. 

e.g. http://www.tivanon.com

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Only thing is, some cars with run flat tyres have no spare. Solution when switching such a car to ordinary tyres is buy a compressed can of foam tyre inflator.

If you use this foam repair can you get the puncture repaired and continue to use the tyre? I had read somewhere that you cannot after using this foam repair. 

• Haha 1

More genius posts from many people who choose their "comfort" over safety.

I have run flat on the benz and will never change for non runflat because RFT saved my life several time and I never looked like an idiot trying to fix a tyre on the roadside. Being able to drive 100+ kms on flat tyre is priceless.

And Michelin runflats cost ony 2000 or 3000 more than non RFT. But if your comfort is so important, enjoy your accident and death !

Edited by myjawe

Very difficult finding the right tyres on run flats for less than 10,500 so going with Bridgestone Turanza T005 regular tyres. I like run flat but just not practical with this model of car. I have found a space saver wheel in the uk so that may be a good purchase. https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels?vehicle_type=3071&primary_category=2178&secondary_category=3126

• Haha 1

Run flat tires have very stiff sidewalls, very stiff, you are reminded off this every time you go over an "imperfection" in the road, something Thailand has plenty off! 

Hard to justify on safety grounds or comfort factor! I have them on my car now and remind myself every time I drive never to put another set on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agreed on the discomfort of having RFTs but I just had a pressure loss alert today and traffic was hell. Just rode to a B-Quik slowly (20 KM away) and fixed it. Second incident in 2 years from a bloody screw. ???? 

That's on a BMW F30 320i, with Cinturato P7 (OEM).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, myjawe said:

More genius posts from many people who choose their "comfort" over safety.

I have run flat on the benz and will never change for non runflat because RFT saved my life several time and I never looked like an idiot trying to fix a tyre on the roadside. Being able to drive 100+ kms on flat tyre is priceless.

And Michelin runflats cost ony 2000 or 3000 more than non RFT. But if your comfort is so important, enjoy your accident and death !

LOL so your runflats have gone flat several times. Enjoy your safe tires LOL

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, pj123 said:

If you use this foam repair can you get the puncture repaired and continue to use the tyre? I had read somewhere that you cannot after using this foam repair.  

Removing all the foam is a messy job for some Somchai but it does not stop the tyre being repaired, though this also depends on how it is damaged. Convenient to use, the foam is meant as a temporary repair.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pj123 said:

Very difficult finding the right tyres on run flats for less than 10,500 so going with Bridgestone Turanza T005 regular tyres. I like run flat but just not practical with this model of car. I have found a space saver wheel in the uk so that may be a good purchase. https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels?vehicle_type=3071&primary_category=2178&secondary_category=3126

245/40R18 cost 9150 thb at any Bquick. Really so difficult ?

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

LOL so your runflats have gone flat several times. Enjoy your safe tires LOL

I would like to see how your non RFT will look after driving on this. Or maybe your whole car...

image.jpeg.8716529439da4f2fccd0e1ab33687478.jpeg

10 hours ago, myjawe said:

245/40R18 cost 9150 thb at any Bquick. Really so difficult ?

Trying to find the same size as the current tyres was the problem: 225/50/R18. What tyres are you referring to?