Nightmare Visa Run

After 7 years of teaching, friend changed schools and needed a new visa. He got to Penang, found out he's missing a document that will take about 5-6 weeks to come from Canada. Tried to come back (assuming he would get 30 day stamp) and denied entry at Phuket airport. No questions, no explanation (besides "No, you go back"), just quickly stamped denied and sent back on the same plane he came on.

A phone call to HKT immigration got the explanation "Wrong purpose of entry" (determined by flipping through his passport and seeing several 1 year Non B visa extensions) and the suggestion that he stay in Malaysia until he can get non-b visa.

My best idea is that he get a 60 day TR visa and land at BKK with 20k cash, hotel and onward flight bookings in hand. If asked, he can say he's having a holiday in Samui before leaving Thailand for greener pastures.

Thoughts?

Alternative suggestions?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jadam said:

friend changed schools and needed a new visa. He got to Penang, found out he's missing a document that will take about 5-6 weeks to come from Canada. Tried to come back (assuming he would get 30 day stamp) and denied entry at Phuket airport.

your friend ..... maybe can do a land crossing as mentioned.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He went to the wrong place to apply his non-b visa. Penang (KL and  Kota Bharu also) wants a police clearance certificate from his home country. Other nearby locations will accept a Thai police clearance certificate to do the application.

Thanks Joe.
Can you suggest other consulates?

6 hours ago, Essecola said:

Should not have tried to fly in. Better to have tried a 30 day entry by land somewhere and maybe not Pedang Besar..

I'm not confident he would have had any better luck with a land border.

Sadao are being dickheads; even people coming through with Non-B visas are being made to show cash and accommodations and they are being harassed over not carrying their work permits with them.  I hardly think he would have made it through with no visa any easier than at the airport.

Jim and Banana (the 2 go to agencies in Penang) told him to avoid Pedang Besar for the same reason.

• Like 1

If Savarnakhet is happy with only Thai police check, we could get him a new letter addressed to that consul in a few days and he could get his non-B there.  Will take a bit longer but will save him doing another visa run in a few weeks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jadam said:

I'm not confident he would have had any better luck with a land border.

Sadao are being dickheads; even people coming through with Non-B visas are being made to show cash and accommodations and they are being harassed over not carrying their work permits with them.  I hardly think he would have made it through with no visa any easier than at the airport.

Jim and Banana (the 2 go to agencies in Penang) told him to avoid Pedang Besar for the same reason.

I know it sounds inane but I meant something like fly on Air Asia to Laos or Cambodia and enter at one of those land borders. Don't know how to say, entering Thailand has been totally nuts for a period of time and the 'problems' have only gotten more intense.

37 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

It is getting ridiculous. The things a Farang will do to enter Thailand. Is the pleasure worth the pain?

DaRoadrunner is RIGHT!!  Why bother trying so hard to get in?  It aint heaven...they're not giving free money or anything???  What's the desperation for?

34 minutes ago, Essecola said:

For who wrote about living on $1500 a month, I just spent $3500 being out of the country for 5 weeks to get a new passport. And had to pay $500 rent for a place I didnt even live in for that period of time, and the reward at the end of it is to still have a visa nightmare on my back. All my friends of a decade are here.

get the correct long term visa. retirement ?  marriage ?  Elite ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mike787 said:

DaRoadrunner is RIGHT!!  Why bother trying so hard to get in?  It aint heaven...they're not giving free money or anything???  What's the desperation for?

Cheap Charlies who can't afford to live elsewhere.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, atyclb said:
9 hours ago, mike787 said:

Cheap Charlies who can't afford to live elsewhere.

Just now, atyclb said:

bizarre analysis and comment considering the cost of living in places like viet, pi, cambo is generally less than thailand but without the visa hassles.

I agree- Thailand was ruined when the suburbanites sold their house, and became instant millionaires in Thailand. What a pathetic comment.

stupid comment on here ie, cheap charlies,  when they want £20,,000 for 5 months then £10,000 in your bank you cannot touch.  (and yes i can do it, before you ask) its just rediculous

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mike787 said:

Women? :cheesy:

10 hours ago, Essecola said:

Because I have stuff and possessions here I need to sort out first (as well as all my friends) and I have nowhere else to go. Don't want to go to Cambodia, Vietnam or Philippines. Been to those places and compared to Bangkok they are very far off the same lifestyle. Totally not the same.

You "have nowhere else to go" - really!  Possessions can be reacquired...quality friends last forever, plus, more can be added.  Hang in there, if Thailand is your destiny it will show you the way...

• Like 1

After 7 years in Thailand he should know that consulting with Thai Visa members before planing any trip could be very much helpful. 

I’m not sure if he can get back in even with a TV or any land border with that “denied stamp” in his pass. 

I am sorry for what happened to you.

Next time when you re-enter (e.g. via Land) take your important possessions with you before you leave and do not have too many assets in Thailand.

For all those cheap charly comments, even if I lived on a budget in Thailand, considering regular flights home and the visa expenses, both of it makes it equally expensive to many peoples home countries. It is a personal preference where you want to live.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cerox said:

I am sorry for what happened to you.

Next time when you re-enter (e.g. via Land) take your important possessions with you before you leave and do not have too many assets in Thailand.

For all those cheap charly comments, even if I lived on a budget in Thailand, considering regular flights home and the visa expenses, both of it makes it equally expensive to many peoples home countries. It is a personal preference where you want to live.

Cerox is correct in his dispensing of wisdom.  Always try to have a plan b....expect the unexpected. Only guarantee in life is we WILL all die...everything else is coincidence, a chance.  Be prepared. 

Edited by mike787