New Honda Wave a SLUG!

A few months ago I purchased a new Honda Wave 125cc. I have had a Honda Dream 125cc for over 10 years that I was quite happy with but it was time for an upgrade. This being Thailand, I was not able to test drive the new Wave before buying but it LOOKED like it was fast and quick and being NEW I assumed it would be as peppy or peppier than the 11 year old Dream. I had also recently ridden a Click 125 which was very responsive but both my wife and I like the handling and ride of the manual bikes.

Instead, the new Wave is a dog. I curse every time I am on it for lack of responsiveness and in fact feel vulnerable pulling in to traffic. It's sort of kind of maybe ok with one person on it but with my wife and I together it is just a dog. I didn't realize how much bigger and heavier it is than the old Dream before purchasing it which may be a big part of the issue. However, does anyone else have this experience? The mechanic laughs at me and my concerns that maybe something is amiss with the mechanics. I am thinking of getting rid of it rather than put up with 10 years of cursing. Anyone have any input? It's hard for me to believe Honda would put out such a slow machine.

Thanks@!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mitkof Island said:

Thanks for the warning! If i can not test drive a bike before i buy it. NO THANKS! I will but second hand.

No one ever gets to test ride a bike, even test driving a car could be problematic????

Thats strange. I have a 250cc bike and was doing 105 kph (how true a reading I'm not sure) keeping up with a 125 Wave which only slowed when we came to a decent hill. Ones I see seem to be zipping along, 2 up as well.

Thanks guys. I had actually rented the Click expressly to test drive it and it was super fast. But then I didn't follow through and rent a Wave but I'll bet it's not easy to find one to rent as most shops rent new automatic bikes. I don't think the brakes are dragging. What is strange is that there is a delay when you give it gas even in neutral. And then a delay for the engine to rev up. It's just so frustrating. For a weird analogy, it's like all the mechanics of the bike are wearing mittens and ear mufflers. It all just seems so dulled....though the bike looks fantastic, IMO. I've attached a pic of the grey and red one though we have it in black and red.

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.45.21 AM.png

13 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I can hardly get to 100 km just me on the bike on a flat road. The old Dream I could do 110 at least.

Perhaps it’s the reason why Honda floors are full of unsold bikes and they laying off people 

3 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I can hardly get to 100 km just me on the bike on a flat road. The old Dream I could do 110 at least.

Then there is definitely something wrong with this bike of yours.

I ride a Click and although I'm nearly always first away at the lights due its excellent acceleration, a Wave will always best me on speed once we're on the open road. I've had them pass me 'two up' with ease, even when I'm 'doing the ton'.

You said you 'don't think' the rear brake is binding. Double check just to sure by putting the bike on the centre stand and turning the back wheel by hand. Then gently apply the pedal until it starts to bind.

But from your comments about the lag when opening the throttle, it seems more likely that there is a problem with the engine, possibly the fuel injection system.

I'd be back down the workshop telling that mechanic to stop laughing and get investigating.

Good luck.

I'll check that brake, thanks. As you know, the mechanics here never want to investigate and usually tell you there isn't a problem. But I will go back and try again. Yeah, the barely getting to 100km seemed pretty telling to me, too. At least now I have some numbers to throw around rather than just "it FEELS slow."

I'll report back.

I love the CLick acceleration, almost to the point it's dangerous as it's easy to "lunge" around and get into trouble. I like the bigger wheels on the Wave.

13 minutes ago, Vacuum said:
25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I'm nearly always first away at the lights due its excellent acceleration

13 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

I always let a couple of vechicles 'pave the way' before I enter the intersection.

A prudent rider and I agree with you on this. Let the 'sacrificial lamb' go first!

I also do this unless I'm quite sure that the coast really is clear.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

No one ever gets to test ride a bike, even test driving a car could be problematic????

Strange, no-one here has ever told me I can't test-drive a car or bike. I drove several of both new before buying second-hand. That's what demonstrator vehicles are for. Perhaps you should consider changing your deodorant.

Does the new Wave have a manual transmission or a CV transmission?

If you are used to driving a manual transmission bike, driving the same bike with an automatic or CV transmission will feel like you lost 1/4 of your horsepower.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Then there is definitely something wrong with this bike of yours.

I ride a Click and although I'm nearly always first away at the lights due its excellent acceleration, a Wave will always best me on speed once we're on the open road. I've had them pass me 'two up' with ease, even when I'm 'doing the ton'.

You said you 'don't think' the rear brake is binding. Double check just to sure by putting the bike on the centre stand and turning the back wheel by hand. Then gently apply the pedal until it starts to bind.

But from your comments about the lag when opening the throttle, it seems more likely that there is a problem with the engine, possibly the fuel injection system.

I'd be back down the workshop telling that mechanic to stop laughing and get investigating.

Good luck.

Agree with the efi system having a problem either with the electronic  module or fuel delivery lines.

Hmm not sure what a CV transmission is and if I have one or not. I'll check the manual. I have to shift the gears with my foot but there isn't a clutch (not a manual one at least). But that wouldn't account for my lame top speed, would it? I mean, it is almost hard to drive for lack of power. When you want to power out of a turn or give it a goose to stabilize the bike it doesn't respond. Or to get out of oncoming traffic. I HATE the thing as it now stands.

As for auto bikes, they are much quicker off the line in my experience. It may be due to gearing and the smaller wheels.

Even in Italy where I lived for a spell they looked at me cross-eyed when I wanted to test drive a new car before buying it. They let me but it wasn't the norm. Yeah, not sure how they get away with no testing. Ridiculous!

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Never had that problem, didn't get to test ride straight away it had to be arranged that's all.

13 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Hmm not sure what a CV transmission is and if I have one or not. I'll check the manual. I have to shift the gears with my foot but there isn't a clutch (not a manual one at least). But that wouldn't account for my lame top speed, would it? I mean, it is almost hard to drive for lack of power. When you want to power out of a turn or give it a goose to stabilize the bike it doesn't respond. Or to get out of oncoming traffic. I HATE the thing as it now stands.

Click transmission are belt driven autos, your 125 wave is semi auto gear shift, the dealer you bought you bike from sounds incompetent go to some other Honda dealer with a good workshop and get it sorted.

The wave has not been set up correctly and can be easily checked.

A wave 125 will do a 110 quickly and go on a bit slower to 120 +.

If you twist the throttle and arent getting an immediate surge, then it sounds like the bike isn't getting enough gas.   Is the bike brand new or did you buy it used?   It could be a clogged up feul filter or some junk in the injector(s).

as a side note,  I recently picked up a honda cb500x second hand.  The dealer I got it from let me ride it around the parking lot before I bought it.   I've never taken it over 120km/h.   I can't imagine going faster than that on Thai roadways,  since they are rough and often full of seams and chuck holes.   The wheelbase on a scooter is so short that you are going to jitter your kidneys loose at those speeds.

Archived