Book stores to reduce use of plastic wraps by half

webfact

Book stores to reduce use of plastic wraps by half

book-plastic.jpg

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), the Publishers and Booksellers Association of Thailand (PUBAT) and book stores on Friday, May 31st launched a campaign called “Aan Rak Lok: Lod Chai Plastic” or “Reading with care: reducing plastic use”, which aims to half the use of plastic in the industry this year.

MONRE Permanent Secretary Wijarn Simachaya and PUBAT President Suchada Sahasakul signed a memorandum of understanding at the event, saying they hope the campaign will help to reduce plastic waste in Thailand and promote the use of environmentally friendly materials. Specifically, they want to cut the use of plastic by half this year, especially the book wraps used in book shops.

Additionally, the campaign is trying to raise awareness of alternatives to plastic items, which take hundreds of years to decompose in landfills. They plan to prepare and disseminate brochures on plastic wrap reduction in book stores nationwide and display exhibitions to conserve nature.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/book-stores-to-reduce-use-of-plastic-wraps-by-half/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-03

And, like everything related to nature and resources, only very small measures without any meaning.
We need to do something immediately and it must be something truly radical, we eliminate all the plastic casings and go back to the packaging of the 50s and 60s.

Edited by blackcab
Removed all bold font

"Specifically, they want to cut the use of plastic by half this year, especially the book wraps used in book shops."

Would probably cut the use of plastic a lot more if they stopped putting lottery tickets in plastic bags. Since reading those numbers is the extent of most Thais 'literary" activities. 

Edited by jaltsc

Bring back brown paper book coverings! That's how we got by at school 50+ yrs ago 

Mind you my car maintenence Haynes & Gregoryso mannuals  have no complaints,  wrapped and like new, in butchers paper  

The plastic in shops keep the grubby fingers of cheapskate browsers away ☺

• Like 1

My wife generally takes advantage of the plastic wrapping service for books in order to protect them and prolong their life.

I think this campaign is just  to save the booksellers money by ceasing to provide a popular service. Plus if the books are not protected, it increases their turnover.

Maybe I am a cynic but these things are easy to see through.

I highly doubt sea turtles and whales are eating discarded plastic book covers that have discarded in the ocean...

Perhaps the plastic bag that they put the book in, but not the book covers.

Stupid ideas. Fail.