Savannakhet Thai Consulate absolutely thronged with people

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

As far as Savannaket not having an appointment system, how many people in the the OP's photos do you think went to Savannaket, instead of Vientiane, because there is no appointment system there?

Some probably because of false info like the post you quoted or were not aware they needed an appointment and it was too late to get an appointment.

If your read other posts you will find it is only 2 days a week that Savannakhet is that busy when the visa run vans arrive.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Some probably because of false info like the post you quoted or were not aware they needed an appointment and it was too late to get an appointment.

If your read other posts you will find it is only 2 days a week that Savannakhet is that busy when the visa run vans arrive.

UJ, you are commenting on the present, I am commenting on the future. 

Sure, I could be wrong, but as we near the completion of a full year after the new laws were implemented, then we can see the impact on these nearby consulates, and their land boarders.

Surely, with each week that passes, many of those that can not deposit 65k each month, or deposit 800k, will head to land boarders, seeking short visas. 

Time will tell, but look what's already happened in Vientiane, don't you think it could happen to other consulates? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Surely, with each week that passes, many of those that can not deposit 65k each month, or deposit 800k, will head to land boarders, seeking short visas. 

I think many people are working out ways to stay and meet the new requirements. Many may be making a trip home to get a OA visa that has more flexible requirements for the money in the bank and income than extensions.

Many people that are having problems are those that were not aware of the changes when they tried to get proof of income at their embassy.

For the 800k baht in the bank option I don't think all that many people are leaving due the changes.

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Time will tell, but look what's already happened in Vientiane, don't you think it could happen to other consulates? 

Certainly not since I can understand why Vientiane went to the appointment systems. You are probably are not aware they were being flooded by 400 or 500 people showing up to apply on some days.

59 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Out of curiosity, are there agents in Savannakhet that can handle applications for Tourist and Non-Imm O type visas? 

None that I am aware of. You have to do the application in person.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:08 PM, geronimo said:

Upping the requirements for log stayers is the cause, They don;t have 800k to leave in a Thai bank, and going outside to get a new visa is the best option.

Not true, most of the queue is non-white, non-western.

Lots of Filipino workers, Koreans, Indians, Viets, generally 3rd world citizens working in Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think many people are working out ways to stay and meet the new requirements.

Sure.  Nothing new about that.  For decades people have been working out what visa is best for their circumstances. 

Many may be making a trip home to get a OA visa that has more flexible requirements for the money in the bank and income than extensions.

I agree.  The OA will be the "go to" visa for many.

Many people that are having problems are those that were not aware of the changes when they tried to get proof of income at their embassy.

Sure.  Perhaps there are some that are still unaware, or just don't care, or are too lazy to enquire about how these changes will effect them, when their visa comes due.

For the 800k baht in the bank option I don't think all that many people are leaving due the changes.

Interesting comment, especially in light of foreign currencies being way down on the baht, particularly the GBP. 

I would say there would be quite a few here that can not go to the 800k method, so, will do as you suggested, go the OA route, or even to tourist visas.

You are probably are not aware they were being flooded by 400 or 500 people showing up to apply on some days. 

Are you saying Vientiane is the only consulate experiencing huge increases in numbers, since the new changes? 

The OP's photos do tend to show it's only a matter of time before Savannaket will have to bring in an appointment system also.   Either that, or people start camping outside the front gate the night before. 

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Are you saying Vientiane is the only consulate experiencing huge increases in numbers, since the new changes? 

They were having big numbers before the changes. They started the appointment requirement on February 1st.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They were having big numbers before the changes. They started the appointment requirement on February 1st.

I am not denying the Vientiane consulate experienced big numbers in the past.  It's been a busy consulate for years, actually, decades.  In my opinion, the new changes exacerbated the big numbers for Vientiane.

All I am suggesting is, towards the anniversary of the new changes, I think you will see several popular nearby consulates experience a large increase in numbers, and MAY implement an appointment system as well. 

Surely the OP's photos tend to indicate this, and we are not even at the anniversary date of the new changes.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:23 PM, BritManToo said:

Not true, most of the queue is non-white, non-western.

Lots of Filipino workers, Koreans, Indians, Viets, generally 3rd world citizens working in Thailand.

No problem for non-westerners to work illegally in Thailand, on back to back tourist visas, because the Thai's like their cheap labor.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 5:15 PM, Leaver said:

The OP's photos do tend to show it's only a matter of time before Savannaket will have to bring in an appointment system also.   Either that, or people start camping outside the front gate the night before. 

I would say Laos is going to be the only country with the big queues, because ...........

The people seeking VISAs are mainly 3rd world workers who don't have the easy access or money to fly around to other countries. Their employer arranges for a van.

Edited by BritManToo

I was in Savannakhet a couple of weeks ago on a Monday and witnessed the long queue at the Consulate. On the Tuesday there was maybe 40 people there Wednesday was the same. On both those days the queue had cleared by 10am. The Tuk-Tuk driver also pointed out the new Consulate which is under construction. As the current Consulate has only one service window/desk, my immediate thoughts where that maybe the new building will have more, just a thought. It has to be remembered that the Savannakhet Consulate is a massive earner for all kinds of businesses and services in Savannakhet. My guess is that if there are going to be any changes it will be at the building change-over time, but I doubt there will be. Just my opinion.

XB

Edited by Xboxer

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would say Laos is going to be the only country with the big queues, because ...........

The people seeking VISAs are mainly 3rd world workers who don't have the easy access or money to fly around to other countries. Their employer arranges for a van.

reading your comments I would say you have no IDEA. Countries like Indian or Vietnamese are prohibited applying visa at Vientiane or Savannakhet. Would you consider UK, SA, Europeans, US, Japanese, Koreans, Australians, Russian 3rd World? This are the majority of visa applicants together with Filipinos.

RestrictedCountries2013.pdf

40 minutes ago, visarunner said:

reading your comments I would say you have no IDEA. Countries like Indian or Vietnamese are prohibited applying visa at Vientiane or Savannakhet. Would you consider UK, SA, Europeans, US, Japanese, Koreans, Australians, Russian 3rd World? This are the majority of visa applicants together with Filipinos.

RestrictedCountries2013.pdf 266.49 kB · 0 downloads

They mostly seem to be non-white illegal workers in Thailand, with a few white teachers also illegally working in Thailand. Very few white western married men.

Eastern European and South African are most definitely 3rd world.

That's all I know from when I was in the queue.

And you're right, I have no idea why they're allowed to get VISAs like that.

Or why the VISA companies are allowed to truck them in.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I was there in May, absolutely horrible. Arriving in line 7:45 am and not leaving until 2:00 pm. People fighting with each other and some nearly passing out due to heat exhaustion. The next day to pickup arrived early 1:00 pm but still left 3:30 pm.

Edited by at15
  • Like 1

It's ridiculous. I was going to to that previously (make an appointment in advance, arrive, stay at hotels, taxis, lines, hot sun, etc. etc.). I elect to go overland to Laos or Cambodia, stay a few days for R&R and fly back; with transit flight from Don Muang there is never a line going to domestic, go to the buffet cafe load up on good food and Johnny Walker and imported red wine, and fly home. No immigration fee either.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's a well know fact that land boarders are more kind to visa runners, thus, these land boarders do see a fair share of westerners that can afford to fly, but chose a land boarder, because there is less chance of being denied entry.  However, I do agree the majority in the queue at these land boarders will be illegal workers from nearby countries. 

That said, an applicant is an applicant, no matter where they are from, and I can only see the queue at Savannaket getting longer as the new visa changes get closer to their anniversary date.  It's possible Savannaket may have to introduce an appointment system also.  

We are already seeing bigger numbers at these land boarders and consulates.

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's a well know fact that land boarders are more kind to visa runners, thus, these land boarders do see a fair share of westerners that can afford to fly, but chose a land boarder, because there is less chance of being denied entry.  However, I do agree the majority in the queue at these land boarders will be illegal workers from nearby countries. 

That said, an applicant is an applicant, no matter where they are from, and I can only see the queue at Savannaket getting longer as the new visa changes get closer to their anniversary date.  It's possible Savannaket may have to introduce an appointment system also.  

We are already seeing bigger numbers at these land boarders and consulates.

Some of these land borders are also quite hostile to citizens of certain countries.

Lao and particularly Cambodian land borders scrutinize every Vietnamese arrival. Happened to a friend of mine. New passport, no Thai entry stamps, not a regular visitor to Thailand at all. Lots of questions about his intentions but finally was allowed to pass. No questions at the Myanmar border, but not allowed to visit the Myanmar side on a day pass (like westerners and Thais are) must be a Myanmar visa or e-visa, even for a one day stay.

On the other hand, you have the Phu Nam Ron border with Myanmar that clearly has a relationship with certain visa agents because like clockwork every morning at 6am, van loads of Lao, Cambodian and Vietnamese "workers" who have only 14 or 30 day stamps get stamped back in, despite the fact they have neither work permits or visas enabling them to stay legally in Thailand. Given these nationalities qualify for laborer visas, I wonder why their employers don't apply for them? Could also be, because according to my Myanmar driver I used on one of my trips, they work in karaoke parlors and thus aren't eligible for visas as that is a "restricted occupation". I dunno, but it was curious.

For Non-O multi entry visas, Ho Chi Minh might make a better choice than Savannakhet. No throngs of people, just as easygoing, no appointment needed and Saigon is a much more action packed city to spend some time exploring. Also, for some people more practical to reach, given it's just a short flight away from Bangkok or Chiang Mai. Also Phuket now I believe. Savannakhet only has a 3-times weekly service to Bangkok via Pakse on Lao airlines, otherwise it's a long drive/bus ride or flight to a nearby domestic airport such as Nakorn Phanom, followed by a bus or taxi ride.

On 8/2/2019 at 8:35 AM, visarunner said:

Since two weeks Savannakhet already more strict on Tourist Visa applications and difficult for ED from certain schools. The number of applicants already down. 

That does not surprise me. If the applicants fully meet with the requirements for the visa they applying for, they will then get the said visa. However, in my opinion there are too many chancers and cheats of all nationalities out there who want to shape the system to suit their needs, and when the system fails them, they complain bitterly that they have been wronged. 

Peace.

Edited by Xboxer

On 8/3/2019 at 2:45 PM, drbeach said:

For Non-O multi entry visas, Ho Chi Minh might make a better choice than Savannakhet. No throngs of people, just as easygoing, no appointment needed and Saigon is a much more action packed city to spend some time exploring. Also, for some people more practical to reach, given it's just a short flight away from Bangkok or Chiang Mai. Also Phuket now I believe. Savannakhet only has a 3-times weekly service to Bangkok via Pakse on Lao airlines, otherwise it's a long drive/bus ride or flight to a nearby domestic airport such as Nakorn Phanom, followed by a bus or taxi ride.

Yes , I have been mulling this over since as you say you can avoid the queues and have a pleasant mini break.

The only thing putting me off is the thought of having to pass through one of Bangkok's airports and running into  long queues there instead.  This plus the possibility of meeting an unfriendly immigration officer and facing a Spanish Inquisition  will probably see me going to Savann as usual.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am fresh off a 1 Year Non B Ed visa, exited Thailand at Mukdahan Sunday 8/9, applied for single entry tourist visa at Savannakhet yesterday Monday 9/9, went to pick up today 9/10, and after a lengthy interrogation, was denied. To echo the sentiment of many on this thread, there were about 10 of us that had to stick around for interrogations. Anyhow, I got the big fat "Void Without Prejudice" over the visa in my passport.

Having a passport packed full of Thai visas from 2013-2019, I expected this. However, my question is, has anyone had this happen and after ALSO been denied 30 days visa-free entry back to Mukdahan at the border, i.e. stuck in Laos? I have until Thursday the 12th and I'm starting to sweat a bit.

24 minutes ago, craigOB said:

However, my question is, has anyone had this happen and after ALSO been denied 30 days visa-free entry back to Mukdahan at the border, i.e. stuck in Laos? I have until Thursday the 12th and I'm starting to sweat a bit.

Unless you have already done two 30 day visa exempt entries at a land border crossing this year you will not have a problem entering the country at Mukdahan.

Hello guys,

one of you who knows it, please tell me what is the difference between " "Void Without Prejudice" that craig received and the normal "Void" that I and many others received? We did not have an interrogation, the consulate refused to give us reasons for the void stamp. Is the interrogation the reason for adding "without prejudice"? Sounds a bit funny really..

On 8/2/2019 at 10:08 AM, at15 said:

I was there in May, absolutely horrible. Arriving in line 7:45 am and not leaving until 2:00 pm. People fighting with each other and some nearly passing out due to heat exhaustion. The next day to pickup arrived early 1:00 pm but still left 3:30 pm.

Same story for me, except it rained all day.