Japanese man arrested on nearly 19 year overstay in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that Mr. Nakahara doesn't join the ranks of the homeless in one of the Japanese cities.  I have an elderly American friend who is provided a room in a Japanese retirement facility.  His room is about 4 X 6 meters and provides room for a bed, chair and Japanese TV with a small sink, tiny refrigerator and small toilet by the entrance.  The whole place is very spartan and not comfortable but it is new and in a decent neighborhood.  It's livable on a basic level but loneliness is a big problem.  Retirement under the Japanese Healthcare System is only bearable if you have significant savings.  Many Japanese do.  Mr. Nakahara probably has none.

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Big brother's on our case.

Rather ironic given Prayut's hatred of George Orwell - well 1984 anyway - Animal Farm's a different kettle of fish of course.

But he did like 2527

This is why immigration is getting serious  and making it a bit harder for us whom abide by the immigration law. For sure Imm can do better if they use and store our files on a computer file than we could go in and give them our file number ( like in other countries AU ) to  bring our File up and we wouldn't need all multiple stupid Copies for everything every time.and would save a lot of time instead of Hrs it would take max 30 min

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

I find it hard to believe that with the level of education amongst most Thai villagers that anyone would have a clue as to what the requirements are for a foreigner to remain here. 

People talk even if they do not understand.

1 hour ago, balo said:

Why stay here so long and not report it ? Did he murder anyone in Japan? Very strange why some people just decide to hide. 

Easy for me to imagine how he ended up down that rabbit hole. Drank the kool aid about nobody cares about visas out in the sticks, once his visa expired probably started thinking 'what difference does one more year make', maybe fell in love but didn't have the money for a retirement visa, figured he could blend in with the locals because of his Asian complexion, kept his fingers crossed that he'd kick the bucket before they caught up with him. Imagine, though, that as the noose started to tighten, he spent more and more time at home.

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I find it hard to believe that with the level of education amongst most Thai villagers that anyone would have a clue as to what the requirements are for a foreigner to remain here. 

No one has the immigration code memorized, that's for sure. But if someone wanted to find out what kind of visa you likely had and what the requirements were, it would be easy for them to fill in the missing pieces.

Many Thai spouses of foreigners become highly knowledgeable about visa regulations, and if someone wanted to know specifics, it's a simple matter to track down a farang's Thai spouse and pick her brain about whatever you want to know.

This guy's wife, perhaps never dreaming that the ramifications could be so serious, may have openly fretted or gossiped to family members or neighbors about his overstay status, until it became an open secret in the village. For decades, it wasn't a big deal, until suddenly it became a problem.

It's not uncommon for me to be asked what kind of visa I have, how long I can stay in Thailand, how often I have to renew my visa, etc. The level of interest some Thais show in visa matters has sometimes surprised me.

10 hours ago, madmen said:

Big deal every country has a hot line. Australia has a hotline to dob in people you know that are scamming welfare. Why on earth would you think Thailand should be exempt from hot lines ?

America is expected to be exempted from immigration laws why shouldn't Thailand? 

10 hours ago, JaiLai said:

How do you know that?

Immigration might have been doing the rounds and noticed a foriegner so thought they'd check coz they'd not seen him in local office?

How do you see the difference between him and a Thai as an asian is not consider as a foreigner unless he do something bad that may destroy the Thai image ...

Unless he was a wanted criminal I couldn't do their job. Deport a 76 years old, been in Thailand for 100 years never been back to japan and all he knows is here. Nope couldn't be that mean!!

Obviously you need immigration laws and 19 years is a joke  but there must be guys out there who have spent their cash building a home, live with their Thai family are in their twilight years, can no longer make a living. Harmless and Surviving on much less that is demanded at any minute a knock at the door and their life as they know it is over. 

Sad!!!

3 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

I hope that Mr. Nakahara doesn't join the ranks of the homeless in one of the Japanese cities.  I have an elderly American friend who is provided a room in a Japanese retirement facility.  His room is about 4 X 6 meters and provides room for a bed, chair and Japanese TV with a small sink, tiny refrigerator and small toilet by the entrance.  The whole place is very spartan and not comfortable but it is new and in a decent neighborhood.  It's livable on a basic level but loneliness is a big problem.  Retirement under the Japanese Healthcare System is only bearable if you have significant savings.  Many Japanese do.  Mr. Nakahara probably has none.

An increasing number of the elderly in Japan are committing petty crimes to purposely be sent to prison.  In prison they receive food, lodging, healthcare, and companionship.

11 hours ago, madmen said:

Big deal every country has a hot line. Australia has a hotline to dob in people you know that are scamming welfare. Why on earth would you think Thailand should be exempt from hot lines ?

Exactly. Well said, sir. The US has a website where you can report illegals. They also have a website where you can report people you believe are engaging in tax fraud. Very easy to get anyone that upsets you audited in the US. Just fill out a form and adios to that person. Hence, why only the ultra-rich elites cheat on taxes in the US.

Must say I am tempted. 19 years hiding / on the run, appeals far more than 19 visits to CW Immigration.

I knew another Japanese, who was sent to Thailand to work for a Jap' company. He never showed up for work and was found holed up with the girls in a short time hotel.

48 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

An increasing number of the elderly in Japan are committing petty crimes to purposely be sent to prison.  In prison they receive food, lodging, healthcare, and companionship.

And free origami classes... which is the real attraction...

Been coming and going in Thailand since 1998, living here in CM for 9 years never stopped and asked for my passport in all those years. Even traffic stops never been asked for passport. Maybe the vivid imagination some of the posters here have is just that imagination

Archived