Japanese man arrested on nearly 19 year overstay in Thailand

webfact

Japanese man arrested on nearly 19 year overstay in Thailand

1pm.jpg

Picture: Naewna

Phetchabun immigration and Lomsak police arrested a Japanese pensioner yesterday. 

Takahiro Nakahara, 76, had been living in the kingdom since 2000 on a tourist visa he only extended once. 

He had overstayed 6,734 days and will now be deported. 

He was arrested yesterday afternoon at a house in Moo 3 of Nam Kor sub-district.

He originally came to Thailand on 29th September 2000 and subsequently extended his tourist visa until 27th of December of the same year. 

He was never seen by immigration again. 

Naew Na did not report any personal details about Mr Nakahara - just that he had been handed over to the Lomsak police and faces deportation. 

The media said that immigration in Phetchabun were continuing to look for illegal immigrants, illegal workers and home owners and hotels not reporting foreigners staying in their properties. 

They issued a 1178 hotline number for people to report transgressions of the immigration laws. 

Source: Naewna

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-06

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, webfact said:

They issued a 1178 hotline number for people to report transgressions of the immigration laws. 

Big brother's on our case.

Rather ironic given Prayut's hatred of George Orwell - well 1984 anyway - Animal Farm's a different kettle of fish of course.

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Silly bugger upset someone, maybe an ex-wife, maybe someone who asked to borrow money.

Immigration did not just turn up without out someone snitching on him.

How do you know that?

Immigration might have been doing the rounds and noticed a foriegner so thought they'd check coz they'd not seen him in local office?

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Rather ironic given Prayut's hatred of George Orwell - well 1984 anyway - Animal Farm's a different kettle of fish of course.

Big deal every country has a hot line. Australia has a hotline to dob in people you know that are scamming welfare. Why on earth would you think Thailand should be exempt from hot lines ?

30 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Silly bugger upset someone, maybe an ex-wife, maybe someone who asked to borrow money.

Yep I’d say he was put in for sure, if you’ve been there 19 years must have pissed off someone, hope he remembers his Japanese friends

Wonder who the woman standing in the background is. Presumably his wife, don't you think? At age 76, doubt he'll ever be legally allowed to return to Thailand. Wonder what'll happen to her.

Edit: Entirely possible that if someone reported him motive could just as easily have been that the wife pissed someone off, and her husband was reported to get back at her. It seems to me like the number of foreigners in the countryside has dropped off and the ones remaining stand out more. I feel like I encounter a lot more suspicious looks when I encounter people I've never seen before. There's this 'stranger danger, maybe he's up to no good, not from around here leariness, doesn't belong here' mentality that has set in. All the publicity about foreigners being arrested for overstay has tainted the image of foreigners as potential criminals. 

32 minutes ago, madmen said:
42 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Big deal every country has a hot line. Australia has a hotline to dob in people you know that are scamming welfare. Why on earth would you think Thailand should be exempt from hot lines ?

Thailand has hotlines for many things - ordering food is a favourite one.

If you understood the big brother reference, you'd realise it has less to do with the hotline and more to do with Prayut and his egg-on-face comment about George Orwell's books.

24 minutes ago, Suttoh said:

Yep I’d say he was put in for sure, if you’ve been there 19 years must have pissed off someone, hope he remembers his Japanese friends

Be handy if he can still speak Japanese 

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:
1 hour ago, colinneil said:

How do you know that?

Immigration might have been doing the rounds and noticed a foriegner so thought they'd check coz they'd not seen him in local office?

That would involve a bit of leg work from a force notorious for its extreme degree of apathy... 

Its a fairly safe bet that 'someone' informed immigration... 

Wonder who the woman standing in the background is. Presumably his wife, don't you think? At age 76, doubt he'll ever be legally allowed to return to Thailand. Wonder what'll happen to her.

Edit: Entirely possible that if someone reported him motive could just as easily have been that the wife pissed someone off, and her husband was reported to get back at her. It seems to me like the number of foreigners in the countryside has dropped off and the ones remaining stand out more. I feel like I encounter a lot more suspicious looks when I encounter people I've never seen before. There's this 'stranger danger, maybe he's up to no good, not from around here leariness, doesn't belong here' mentality that has set in. All the publicity about foreigners being arrested for overstay has tainted the image of foreigners as potential criminals. 
I heard there were 1000s of farang overstayers in Isaan, it's where they go

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

That would involve a bit of leg work from a force notorious for its extreme degree of apathy... 

Its a fairly safe bet that 'someone' informed immigration... 

That's not really true.

In many areas, the police have been scouring the countryside for several years now to document the presence of foreigners. A while back the police came to my house no fewer than 3 times, specifically to check my immigration status. A couple of years ago I was sent home from the local police station to get my passport so that they could verify I wasn't on overstay.

There's a heightened awareness that foreigners might be on overstay. This has of course not only spread throughout the police force, but also to government officials and to the public at large. Ask random people on the street if they are aware of the tightened immigration controls. The roundups and arrests are every bit as prominent in the Thai language press as they are in the English language press. Everybody knows about them.

As I have pointed out in other posts, because less money is filtering down into the hands of the Thai 'little guy', many rural Thais are happy to see (and perhaps participate in) these crackdowns because they see little economic benefit from a foreigner's presence.  Many see little problem with assisting the local police in identifying possible violations.

Recap of why less money is filtering down to the little guy:

1. fewer foreign guys building houses or sending stipends back to village girls and their families,
  2. fewer foreigners shopping at mom and pop stores (in favor of big-box retailers),
  3. less opportunity for merchants and service providers to price gouge because internet allows better price discovery,
  4. internet has allowed foreigners to compare notes and avoid being taken advantage of,
  5. currency devaluations, austerity programs in the west, and inflation have made many foreigners less spendthrift,
  6. immigration policies about bank deposit requirements and uncertainty about future requirements such as mandatory health insurance have caused foreigners to cut back on spending,
  7. fewer foreigners volunteering or teaching out of fear of being deported for work permit violations (with less community goodwill being generated as a result)

good to see the authorities attending to the dangerous criminals at large - Phetchabun will be a safer place for the citizens to sleep tonight thanks to the fearless brave badged warriors of the kingdom...

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

YEP!!  Thais will flush us all out!  There is a bounty on ALL foreigners here and the entire country has banded together to make sure we do not stay.

4d16a702b639d272bb82e755cb211d3e82c9a18cb3f9cfa55a395bc297ffeb0b.jpg

24 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

good to see the authorities attending to the dangerous criminals at large - Phetchabun will be a safer place for the citizens to sleep tonight thanks to the fearless brave badged warriors of the kingdom...

Yes! That evil Takahiro Nakahara, 76, a menace to Thai society has finally been apprehended and will be duly deported after incarceration and humiliation.  

Interesting that there is no Thai progressive movement in Thailand advocating for 'immigrant' rights.  Where are the Thai versions of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortezs?  

1 minute ago, connda said:

Yes! That evil Takahiro Nakahara, 76, a menace to Thai society has finally been apprehended and will be duly deported after incarceration and humiliation.  

Interesting that there is no Thai progressive movement in Thailand advocating for 'immigrant' rights.  Where are the Thai versions of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortezs?  

Probably 'deported' for having a foreign-sounding name.

Every person I have ever known in Thailand who has been banged out on a seriously long overstay has either walked into an Immigration Office in the futile attempt at making amends or was more often turned in by Thais, for revenge. I have never experienced a single case where Immigration conducted an investigation and snagged someone.

Most of the raids in BKK since last year were on the tip of locals. At the same time police will not go to register a foreigner but locals can inform to check on new face in isolated communities.

ABNB Ekkamai rental raid of last month was also reported by occupantsnof same condo and charged a foreigner for not reporting.

Japanese guy or his family must have pissed someone really bad.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

I find it hard to believe that with the level of education amongst most Thai villagers that anyone would have a clue as to what the requirements are for a foreigner to remain here. 

Yes immigration are working hard finding those overstaying.

They should target the criminals and not a (likely) harmless 76 years old Japanese man, just leave him alone. If he stayed here for 19 years, what do he have in Japan, likely nothing, he will be lost when he land in Japan, it's really sad.

Congratulations to Thai immigration ruining another life, well done.  

Archived