Update: Chiang Mai immigration, 30 day extension

No1

There have been so many different reports on Chiang Mai immigration, the need for the TM30 and a lot of negativity about the immigration office in general which is why I would like to give a quick report on my experience when going to the immigration office this wednesday to get a 30 day extention.

In order to get the extension I have just brought copies of my passport, departure card and the entry stamp in the passport, the passport itself and the filled out TM7 form with the properly glued in photo. At the reception counter I paid the 1900 THB fee and was given a ticket number. They did not ask me for a TM30 just wanted me to add my phone number under my address in the TM7 form. A few minutes later I was called to the next counter to take the picture. A very friendly officer took the picture and asked me to wait for a few minutes. He then gave me the passport back with the 30 day extention.

I have not spent more than 10 minutes in the office and I cannot  remember when I have received such a quick and professional treatment in my own country. So Chiang Mai immigration deserves a big pat on their shoulders.

How dare you post a positive report about anything to do with immigration! 

You are obviously an immigration informant and will be subject to bar stool gossip until the next outrage comes along. 

Happy it worked out for you as it does for many thousands of others who do it legally.

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

30 days extension has always been easy for tourist. You should try the retirement and marriage visa. 

You can do both? My guess you have not done either and just frothing at the anti Thai mouth. 

How much did she take you for?? 

i had a similar experience at the airport office. went in the afternoon and it took about a half hour. no appointment. they even had a cafe attached. not sure what all the fuss was about. probably just people not wanting to do it.

this was a couple years back, thing may have changed since then.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:21 PM, EricTh said:

30 days extension has always been easy for tourist. You should try the retirement and marriage visa. 

Do not understand why you say that, maybe you haven't done an extension there.

My experience just last week doing my Retirement Extension was quite painless. In and out within 45 minutes.

It just requires a little preparation and anticipation. Certainly not beyond a reasonably intelligent "farang".

On 6/10/2019 at 9:04 AM, rawhod said:

Do not understand why you say that, maybe you haven't done an extension there.

My experience just last week doing my Retirement Extension was quite painless. In and out within 45 minutes.

It just requires a little preparation and anticipation. Certainly not beyond a reasonably intelligent "farang".

Good news, out of interest what time did you arrive for your Retirement Extension ?    Mine is due in a couple of months.

Archived