The week that was in Thailand news: Exercising my democratic right - to say it like it is!

rooster59

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the mark of a just and fair society is to be found in how rules can be adjusted, even bent.

In the words attributed to Sir Douglas Bader: "Rules are for the obediance of fools and for the guidance of wise men". (I think I got that right).

Of course public servants would totally disagree, me thinks. 

An interesting read, again. ????

Your insights are always an enjoyable read.

BUT -

for the sake of us old guys with poor vision - would you please consider using a DARKER FONT

or at least larger font ?

That grey font that thaivisa favours is a strain on my eyes.

Thanks

• Like 1

People should follow the visa rules, of course, but the mark of a just and fair society is to be found in how rules can be adjusted, even bent. Being a teacher taught me that.

Well said.  So many TV contributors would make the current Thai government look positively liberal, benign and freedom loving if they ever had the reigns of power!

In response to post asking for bold print to help us older folk with weak eyes:

Gray print is everywhere in the computer world. It is designed for  and by 12 year olds. Notice every device is gray on black? It takes a flashlight to see numbers or print on a DVD player or television. Direct sunlight is needed to decifer the buttons on a remote. But on my Kindle keyboard there are white numbers on a black background. Amazing! Who came up with that fantastic idea? 

Edited by Mac98
Add clarification.

Expats of more than fifteen years loose all voting rights.

There are about 5.5million British expats, if we had been given the right to vote it may have well changed the end result.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:01 AM, rooster59 said:

I mean who in their right mind would vote to leave the European Union. No way....

It beggars belief that people who desert their home country to become ex-pats feel that it is their right to pontificate about the actions and will of patriotic people who have remained in the country of birth, worked extremely hard, paid all taxes levied upon them, made all of the national health contributions required of them for the benefit of others including said ex-pats, and who voted for Brexit because they wanted to take back their country from the 23 unelected and unaccountable dictators who run the EEC.

We have SUFFERED wildly stupid rules, regulations and inappropriate laws that have only benefitted politicians  and the 23 mentioned.

We have had to deal with ever rising taxes, costs and charges levied throughout Europe and as a direct result of this Europe has seen it’s culture disappear.

It was always a wonderful experience to go to the local coffee shop in Spain or Portugal and sup one of the finest cups of espresso along with a small nip of the local brandy, but try doing it it now! The best you can get now it a cup of low grade muck in espresso form because the taxes levied has forced businesses to cut corners and drop standards.

Just look around you Rooster because as a result of ASEAN this is happening slowly for the moment in Thailand but it will become ever faster until the mainstay culture “Street Food “of this lovely country is gone in the same way that the high quality low price restaurants of the said two countries has gone.

Sadly the Thai people have yet to realise this but when they do it will be a bombshell and too late.

Great Britain was reluctantly given the opportunity to redress this travesty which we did and with great gladness at the outcome I am more than happy to say I am one of those who voted OUT because the well being of my country is paramount.

All we have to do now is get rid of the parliamentary remainers who have done all they can to Usurp the will of the people and undermine democracy, and believe me that day will come.

10 hours ago, Janner1 said:

It beggars belief that people who desert their home country to become ex-pats feel that it is their right to pontificate about the actions and will of patriotic people who have remained in the country of birth, worked extremely hard, paid all taxes levied upon them, made all of the national health contributions required of them for the benefit of others including said ex-pats, and who voted for Brexit because they wanted to take back their country from the 23 unelected and unaccountable dictators who run the EEC.

We have SUFFERED wildly stupid rules, regulations and inappropriate laws that have only benefitted politicians  and the 23 mentioned.

We have had to deal with ever rising taxes, costs and charges levied throughout Europe and as a direct result of this Europe has seen it’s culture disappear.

It was always a wonderful experience to go to the local coffee shop in Spain or Portugal and sup one of the finest cups of espresso along with a small nip of the local brandy, but try doing it it now! The best you can get now it a cup of low grade muck in espresso form because the taxes levied has forced businesses to cut corners and drop standards.

Just look around you Rooster because as a result of ASEAN this is happening slowly for the moment in Thailand but it will become ever faster until the mainstay culture “Street Food “of this lovely country is gone in the same way that the high quality low price restaurants of the said two countries has gone.

Sadly the Thai people have yet to realise this but when they do it will be a bombshell and too late.

Great Britain was reluctantly given the opportunity to redress this travesty which we did and with great gladness at the outcome I am more than happy to say I am one of those who voted OUT because the well being of my country is paramount.

All we have to do now is get rid of the parliamentary remainers who have done all they can to Usurp the will of the people and undermine democracy, and believe me that day will come.

What a complete load of nonsense. You can't even give it it's current name! Its the EU, not EEC. Just a few other points:

'23 unelected and unaccountable dictators who run the EEC' - You talk of the EU Commission. Indeed they are appointed, not

elected. But they are the EU's civil service. The UK's civil service is not elected. They do not dictate. The European Council, made up of the elected heads of the 28 sovereign nations, determines the direction of the EU. If they decide something new or a change is required it is voted on and if agreed passed to the Council of the EU, comprised of the appropriate elected minister (defence minister, home secretary etc) of the 28 sovereign nations for the detailed discussion. They work with the EU Commission to come up with a plan for implementation. That plan is put before the EU Parliament for debate and vote. Hardly unaccountable!

'We have SUFFERED wildly stupid rules, regulations and inappropriate laws' - I would appreciate you listing these so I can get appropriately upset and change my mind. I take it you are aware that David Davis - the erstwhile Brexit secretary - was asked which rules, regulations and laws he would like to see reversed on TV. He said he couldn't think of any! Give us your list and maybe they will make you Brexit secretary. Or perhaps you are recalling all those idiotic anti EU propaganda pieces so beloved of the British tabloid press over many years. I've included a link so you can watch a comprehensive rebuttal of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Ve7kbLoAo&list=PL10nEp1kesJgY91JjzLxHbWcTCO3XnzzA

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 11:24 AM, mfd101 said:

"Give it time!"

How much more would you suggest? always noting that Thailand/Siam was - according to its official ideology - never colonized ...

I don’t think that he is saying that Thailand was colonized as I don’t believe that it was, but that he is sick of reading stuff from people with a heritage of colonization which in this case is the UK from where Rooster originates.

Perhaps If Thailand had been colonized thinks might be different but looking at three or four nearby countries not sure if better.

13 hours ago, Janner1 said:

I agree with you even although it doesn’t really affect me and despite the views of the poster following you so it seems do the majority.

I think even Australia suffered at the hands of those people about whom you complained when we were forced to start calling champagne sparkling wine.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I agree with you even although it doesn’t really affect me and despite the views of the poster following you so it seems do the majority.

I think even Australia suffered at the hands of those people about whom you complained when we were forced to start calling champagne sparkling wine.

ENTIRELY WITHOUT PREJUDICE 

You are absolutely correct, not only was Australia stabbed in the back but New Zealand also which caused a butter mountain and could not be sold in the EU so it was given away to Russia, after which the only way New Zealand could sell it’s wonderful product was to have it blended with a totally inferior french version.

Given the propensity for stupidity that comes out of Brussels I remain totally surprised that they did not demand that all lamb exported from Australia and New Zealand was of the male variety only !!

The wine you speak of was not allowed to be sold in the EU in the current form of that time so guess what happened, the wine was sold outside of the EU and the Germans snapped it up but by the time they got it the quality was dropping away so they rebottled it complete with a good shot of antifreeze (yes anti freeze) just enough not to poison the drinker but enough to enliven the product for a short time.

The problem with the previous poster is that he is so deeply into believing the rhetoric that daylight does not dawn in his world.

The current political situation was aptly called "democratic dictatorship" byone of the MP. Such an oxymoron. 

But still the pretense of democratic election relatively better than from those countries where the strongman garners min. of 94% votes. 

The election has birthed a new party from a younger generation. Something to cheer about.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:58 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

I have studiously avoided commenting on Thai politics for a while now, mostly because I could see clearly what was coming and was horrified at the thought. However, if Mr R can make a rare comment on things political in the Kingdom, then perhaps I should as well...

First, without getting too judge-y, I have to say that those who welcomed the coup in 2014 really need to have a long look in the mirror; you bear a great deal of responsibility for the current situation. Yes, I was in the country and remember well the street battles, etc, but those who welcomed extra-legal means to end that dispute really can't complain later when rules and laws are disregarded again. And, disregarded again they have been.

What is the future of the Kingdom? I don't have a definitive answer, but those eagle-eyed members from days gone by will recall my posts saying that either some sort of repeat of 1992 will occur or else there will be a slow deterioration of things in country, Burma-style. Which will occur and how will it play out? I am not sure, but those who believe that the Kingdom's better days lie ahead need a re-think. 

A country is a lot like a small business or a family; it is merely bigger and more complex. We have all seen that when a small business has a decent Boss who cares for their staff and provides a fair service for a fair price, the staff follows suit and everyone is happy. When the Boss is a money-grubber who voraciously sucks up every last baht while screwing their staff and customers spreads gloom and unhappiness. The family follows a similar model; when the Father is a good, decent man he usually has good decent kids who are good, decent people. Alternatively, when the Father is a drunk who beats his wife, then it is likely that his sons will drink and beat their wives while his daughters will tolerate a guy who does it to them.

The simple fact is that for the last several years, we have seen a group of lying liars who lie and a group of cheating cheaters who cheat. And, we are going to see more of the same. A lot more.

Sad, sad times for beloved Thailand.

well stated and truthful. As a visitor to LOS? for better than 45 years and resident for 12 yrs of that the decline across society, which is governmentally led, is phenomenal. 

• Thanks 1