Taxes on Work Permit & other questions. Please help

Hello

Have a few questions, it'll be great if someone can answer

Thinking of starting a small restaurant & will need my work permit.

1. Is it better if my Thai wife registers a company & hires me as an employee or should I register the company & show her as my employee. Which will be better for Tax Purposes?

2. Can I keep my Marriage Visa & get a work permit or change to Non-B is compulsory?

3. Minimum registered capital is 1 or 2 million if have Thai Wife?

Have a foreigner friend who says the laws are changing & it will now be required to show the capital in the bank. Just registering it & paying taxes on it will not do anymore?

4. We will hire 4 thai employees. What is the minimum salary?

5. Cost of Social Security Fund every month - pakan sangkhom (sorry if misspelled)

What will be the minimum tax on my work permit & what will be the thai employee tax per month?

6. If my wife registers the company, will she have to register for VAT aswell?

7. Can the company/business be exempted from company taxes for the first 2 years?

If someone has done all this & can share their experience & break down the costs per month, it'll be very helpful.

With the rent, thai employee salaries, all the work permit cost, registering a company & taxes, we are wondering if it'll be worth opening a small restaurant.

Thank you in advance for answering.

Alan

Edited by Ak85

1. Best is to set up a 50/49&% registered partnership with your wife. 

2. You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

3. One million baht of registered capital.

Your friend is putting out false info as far as i know.

4. The legal minimum salary for where you are living. Some work permit offices want 6k baht a month.

5. 750 baht

Taxes will depend upon income for yourself and your employees. See: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

6. It depends upon your business.

7. Not as far as I know.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Best is to set up a 50/49&% registered partnership with your wife. 

2. You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

3. One million baht of registered capital.

Your friend is putting out false info as far as i know.

4. The legal minimum salary for where you are living. Some work permit offices want 6k baht a month.

5. 750 baht

Taxes will depend upon income for yourself and your employees. See: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

6. It depends upon your business.

7. Not as far as I know.

Thanks for your reply

750 baht/month is the Thai employee’s social security tax per month right? 

On my salary of 35,000 do u know what the tax will be per month?

Thai employee salary of 6k? I thought the minimum was 300/day which shud be 9000/month

Also since its 1 million capital.. can it be only 2 thai employees when married to a Thai or has to be 4.

The restaurant will be in Bangkok.

Sorry for all these questions, im new to this so all the help is appreciated.

Thanks again :)

4 hours ago, Ak85 said:

With the rent, thai employee salaries, all the work permit cost, registering a company & taxes, we are wondering if it'll be worth opening a small restaurant.

Almost certainly not if you’re going to be employed. A small business run by Thais that you help to finance maybe a starter.

It is very difficult (usually) for a foreigner to get permission to work in this type of business. It would almost certainly be restricted to some kind of hands off managerial role.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Almost certainly not if you’re going to be employed. A small business run by Thais that you help to finance maybe a starter.

Yes but that does not get me the work permit

32 minutes ago, Ak85 said:

Yes and you as well unless you are director.

On my salary of 35,000 do u know what the tax will be per month?

That depends upon your deductions and such. The monthly is based upon an estimate of you annual income minus 150k and your personal deductions. You should be able to work it out by looking at the link I posted.

Thai employee salary of 6k? I thought the minimum was 300/day which shud be 9000/month

The 6k baht is based upon 20 working days. Some offices may want 9k baht. In Bangkok it is higher than 300 baht a day.

Also since its 1 million capital.. can it be only 2 thai employees when married to a Thai or has to be 4.

The number of employees is dependent upon the work permit office you apply at. It will be 2 or 4.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes and you as well unless you are director.

That depends upon your deductions and such. The monthly is based upon an estimate of you annual income minus 150k and your personal deductions. You should be able to work it out by looking at the link I posted.

The 6k baht is based upon 20 working days. Some offices may want 9k baht. In Bangkok it is higher than 300 baht a day.

The number of employees is dependent upon the work permit office you apply at. It will be 2 or 4.

thanks alot... this really helps... the agent i found asked for 35000 for first year WP and 6000 for non-b visa and 15000 every year renewal (not sure if it includes govt fees)

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Why do you want a work permit?

What job do you want to do?

Well if i have to take care of my own restaurant then I’ll need a WP.. cant work without one

47 minutes ago, Ak85 said:

Well if i have to take care of my own restaurant then I’ll need a WP.. cant work without one

As I’ve pointed out, you’re unlikely to get a work permit to do any kind of hands on work in a restaurant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

As I’ve pointed out, you’re unlikely to get a work permit to do any kind of hands on work in a restaurant.

Will talk to the agents first & see what they say. Working at a restaurant is not just abt cooking n serving.. not planning to cook, waiter or clean.. lol.. restaurant back office needs managing too.. food & beverage managing, digital marketing, handling social media & the accounting aswell ????

20 hours ago, Ak85 said:

Not always.  If they earn less than 15,000 a month it will be less. 

5% of their salary up to a maximum of 750.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yankee99 said:

I can say 2mb registered capital and vat registration is a must in Chonburi. Your SS payments for all employees plus accounting fees should be around 11,000baht per month {end of the year audit extra} 

11,000 every month is quite a bit

1 hour ago, Ak85 said:

11,000 every month is quite a bit

That 11,000 a month figure is spot on ,just setting this set up myself pic below is monthly cost including all tax and ss payments for 4 Thais  and 1 ferang ,ferang salary 50,000 bht a month.

159EDAB1-C985-4B48-A68D-2D3DED26A3F1.png

Will talk to the agents first & see what they say. Working at a restaurant is not just abt cooking n serving.. not planning to cook, waiter or clean.. lol.. restaurant back office needs managing too.. food & beverage managing, digital marketing, handling social media & the accounting aswell [emoji846]
I am pretty sure you are allowed to talk to customers in your wife's restaurant without a wp as long as you don't take orders or accept money. I assume your wife would do all the back office/social media stuff in private in the back office and guess you could be with her when she does it. You could even sit in the office while she isn't there.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, taninthai said:

That 11,000 a month figure is spot on ,just setting this set up myself pic below is monthly cost including all tax and ss payments for 4 Thais  and 1 ferang ,ferang salary 50,000 bht a month.

159EDAB1-C985-4B48-A68D-2D3DED26A3F1.png

Thanks ????

3 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

I am pretty sure you are allowed to talk to customers in your wife's restaurant without a wp as long as you don't take orders or accept money. I assume your wife would do all the back office/social media stuff in private in the back office and guess you could be with her when she does it. You could even sit in the office while she isn't there.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You im sure its fine.. just want to do it right... dont want trouble so will get it anyway