Thailand’s drive to build intelligent clean vehicles

webfact

By Suwatchai Songwanich 
CEO Bangkok Bank (China)

opinion1.jpg

The launch of the MG’s ZS EV car in Thailand this month will mark a new era for the Chinese-Thai joint venture SAIC Motor-CP as it seeks to capitalise on two major trends – electric and smart vehicles.

New energy vehicles (NEV) are the fastest growing segment in the global auto industry. According to the China Passenger Car Association, last year more than one million passenger NEVs were sold, up 88.5 per cent from 2017. 

The first MG ZS broke new ground as an internet-connected vehicle targeted at the young Asian market. The upcoming MG ZS EV goes further still, as an electric SUV with an i-SMART intelligent connectivity system. 

SAIC is combining intelligent vehicle and NEV technologies as part of its strategy to become a leader in this field where auto, telecommunications and technology converge. Next year the company plans to start mass production of the world’s first 5G-equipped intelligent connected vehicle, the Roewe Vision-i.

In Thailand SAIC Motor-CP is investing in production of two types of electric vehicles: plug-in hybrids and battery Evs, at its facility in Chon Buri. It is also planning to move into battery production.

In line with global trends, growth in sales of electric vehicles in Thailand is outstripping the industry. In 2019, Thailand’s domestic automotive market is expected to contract by 2-5 per cent, which contrasts with the expected growth in EV sales of about 80 per cent. Strong growth in EV vehicles is supported by government policy which aims to establish a complete EV ecosystem that includes EV manufacturers and the companies that build the infrastructure to supply power to EV vehicles. This will help to maintain Thailand’s leading position as a global automobile manufacturer. A number of companies – including Mazda, Ford, Nissan – have already applied for and received Board of Investment support.

Many other manufacturers based in Thailand either plan to invest in the EV industry or are in the process of applying for BOI approval. Although this segment currently only occupies a small slice of Thailand’s automotive market, we can expect a ramp-up in production and an increase in adoption over the next few years.

For more columns in this series please visit www.bangkokbank.com.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/China-Business-Weekly/30370786

thenation_logo.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

We don't need intelligent vehicles at this point.

Ironically your post does a good job showing that we do. The best thing to do with Thai drivers is to eliminate them. Each self driving car will be one less unguided missile on the roads. The self driving car will be the savior of the Thai roads. The technology is already here. Punch in your destination and take a power nap.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

I'd rather walk.

Not needed. You can have the car drop you off at the curb of Tesco, then it goes off and finds a place to park all by itself; it even reads no parking signs and such. When you come out you just call the car and it starts up and comes right up to you. It's free valet service everywhere you go. Think this is sci-fi? Think again. I bet most people have no idea such self driving cars will start going to the regulators for approval in the next year. Having a driver that never falls asleep, never drives drunk, never gets lost, sees perfectly in the dark, has the reflexes of schumacher, and knows and follows the rules of the road perfectly to name a few is going to be the savior of the Thai roads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Since 80% of all vehicles in LOS are motorcycles it would seem that somebody should be thinking of introducing electric motorcycles. Cars are beyond the budget of most Thais - especially electrics.

And given the current shaky power grid, it would take some work and investment to meet increased demand. The horse needs to pull the cart, not the other way round.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, canopy said:

It's free valet service everywhere you go.

These electric autonomous vehicles are costly, not in the least bit free.  $3M + Baht I believe

Much less costly to get into a tuk tuk, baht bus, motorbike taxi, train, city bus, or call a Grab . 

Old age reduces your reaction time and motor skills, add to that the adage  "speed kills" and the atrocious driving habits and overly congested streets - not interested at this point (also cannot afford - lol)

Like women and housing here in The Kingdom, for me transportation should be rented, not owned.... 

Do own a bicycle and am still able to walk which is a blessing for me

• Sad 1

How many times it happens that electricity goes down and also that there is no internet connection while I drive my car.

Intelligent cars maybe but only possible in Bangkok? if ever?

36 minutes ago, johnny49r said:

Since 80% of all vehicles in LOS are motorcycles it would seem that somebody should be thinking of introducing electric motorcycles. Cars are beyond the budget of most Thais - especially electrics.

I remember seeing electric motorbikes here being advertised in malls 15 years ago - never caught on. 

Alibaba has some cool looking covered pedal assisted electric vehicles and  electric tuk tuks with solar roofs for continuous free charging (daytime only - lol) ...not sure if they are popular in China or not yet

1 hour ago, boonrawdcnx said:

First of all they should maybe think where Thailand will get it’s electricity from!

If everybody switched to electric vehicles they should have a plan in place to produce renewable energy.

Also in the interest of consumers who would otherwise be at the mercy of unscrupulous energy companies and the government ripping everybody off and raising prices every time they need to finance one of their corruption prone projects!

So far renewables here are 20 years behind the world’s leading European countries some of who can reach over a 100% of renewable energy production on good days.

It must be possible to charge your vehicle at home using energy produced from solar or wind - and I am sure Thailand’s PEA and PTT will do anything to protect their interests and obstruct any projects which they don’t make any money off.

They with the help corrupt politicians have successfully done so the last 20 years keeping the country in the dark ages when it comes to renewable energy production.

At the rip off prices for solar systems in Thailand one never gets his investment back - by the time the costs finally amortize it is time to replace the expensive hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I was at the iEVTech conference in Bangkok last week and saw a speech by the Minister of Energy who outlined the 20 year plan.  You can see the highlights of the plan in my video below.  With that kind of money going into investing in renewable energy, I think it's safe to say they're serious.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Not needed. You can have the car drop you off at the curb of Tesco, then it goes off and finds a place to park all by itself; it even reads no parking signs and such. When you come out you just call the car and it starts up and comes right up to you. It's free valet service everywhere you go. Think this is sci-fi? Think again. I bet most people have no idea such self driving cars will start going to the regulators for approval in the next year. Having a driver that never falls asleep, never drives drunk, never gets lost, sees perfectly in the dark, has the reflexes of schumacher, and knows and follows the rules of the road perfectly to name a few is going to be the savior of the Thai roads.

Makes it all the more hilarious when there was a Tesla/whoever involved in an accident and deemed to be the cause of the accident as well. The outrage how it's unsafe and blabla, failing to see the handful of accidents since beginning of the tests in the massive amount of miles driven. I'll take AI car any day of the week over human drivers on that ratio alone.

Haven't had the joy of sitting in one myself yet and I'm honestly not sure if I'd reach peace of mind on Thai roads...but I loath driven myself.

5 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Intelligent and clean in Thailand..,55555555555

So thai people are not clean. 55555 You ever been to Thailand.

i work thai and farang new year at a famous Patong hotel. University holidays, the high season.

Many foreigner don’t like the shower, at breakfast smell so bad. Man smell terrible, very stinky, dirty hair, woman not too bad.  But you say we are not clean. 55555555

Smell under your arm. And your underpants.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Good to start the day with an obvious and glaring editing error, Thailand and a intelligent car? classic oxymoron...

Thailand make more than two million car every year. Export to the world.

How many your country can do?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The upcoming MG ZS EV goes further still, as an electric SUV with an i-SMART intelligent connectivity system.

I wonder how well that will perform in a meter of water in Bangkok?

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

These electric autonomous vehicles are costly, not in the least bit free.  $3M + Baht I believe

Nope. Tesla is somewhat high end but has a 1 million baht car already. Self driving will make them even cheaper as they start shedding all sorts of unnecessary parts like steering wheel, turn signals, pedals, and such. Such driverless cars will revolutionize the taxi business not having to pay someone to sit in a taxi and drive people around. Taxi fares might get cheaper, but I feel sorry for all the Isaan drivers who will be out of a job.

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I remember seeing electric motorbikes here being advertised in malls 15 years ago - never caught on.

For most of Thailand cost will be the deciding factor. While an electric motorbike could have every advantage over a conventional one the whole reason people buy motorcycles is they can't afford a car. A more expensive motorbike won't fly no matter what it features.

1 hour ago, Ceruhe said:

Makes it all the more hilarious when there was a Tesla/whoever involved in an accident and deemed to be the cause of the accident as well.

Self driving cars are already safer than a human and this is just version 1 of the system. Just imagine it will get better and better. Look at a Thai driver compared to 20 years ago: same-same. Look at your phone compared to 20 years ago: huge difference. Self driving cars will be the savior of Thai roads.

2 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

How many times it happens that electricity goes down and also that there is no internet connection while I drive my car.

They are way ahead of you. The car has redundant systems including redundant power. So if anything goes wrong, the car will safely pull over to the side of the road just as any good driver would do on a conventional car that breaks down.

Self driving cars don't use the internet to drive. They use things like image recognition, lidar and radar. Now talking about navigation incidentally when I punched in a destination into google maps for a place out in the sticks it said I would be going through areas without cell service and would cache all the map data needed beforehand. Neat stuff!

2 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Intelligent cars maybe but only possible in Bangkok? if ever?

Self driving is being developed to handle the very toughest places to drive like gridlock on the 405 highway in Los Angeles with aggressive drivers trying to block you from changing lanes. Bangkok will offer new challenges I think, though solvable. If interested this answers a lot: