Health Care Insurance Requirement

My question concerns the health care insurance requirement regarding new retirement visas obtained at Thai consulates outside of Thailand.

I have been reading that they will start enforcing this requirement on July 1.

Does anyone know if this is a done deal or is it still under consideration?  

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I would call it still under consideration since nothing has come out about it since it was first reported.

Nothing from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs about it.

In one Thai-FB group some expats insisted that a 200.000 Baht show up in the bank account in addition to the 800.000 Baht deposit will be asked for by immigration when applying for (retirement non-immigrant -O-) extension of stay...so, it seems this are false news?

• Haha 1

OP, one assumes your thinking about applying for a non OA

Personally if I was I would do it now. Perhaps the insurance requirement may come in July 1 maybe not. Perhaps not at all. I would have obtained one already if I had been planning to obtain one. You can't obtain one now in next few weeks with police clearance, medical etc etc. You can get almost 2 yrs out of an O-A.

OP you state ..."have been reading'... why did you not apply already if that was your desired Visa. 

Edited by DrJack54

On 6/10/2019 at 11:13 AM, DrJack54 said:

OP, one assumes your thinking about applying for a non OA

Personally if I was I would do it now. Perhaps the insurance requirement may come in July 1 maybe not. Perhaps not at all. I would have obtained one already if I had been planning to obtain one. You can't obtain one now in next few weeks with police clearance, medical etc etc. You can get almost 2 yrs out of an O-A.

OP you state ..."have been reading'... why did you not apply already if that was your desired Visa. 

Already have an O-A Visa that expires after July 1 but I may obtain a new one before July 1 if I am certain they will enforce this provision.

I have obtained a new O-A Visa before my old one expired in the past at Thai Consulate in U.S. so it should not be a problem.