possible Worrying changes regarding international transfers. (ANZ bank Australia)

Just attempting my usual Swift transfer of AUD$ into Baht with ANZ Aus and noticed a bold warning message on the first page.

Words to the effect of:

Changes in International banking are coming. Soon you will have to have proof of your address to make an international transfer

It didnt state whether the proof of address related to an Australian address linked to your account

OR proof of the address of the recipient you are sending the funds to abroad.

As i am well used to the Australian government deliberately making things hard and expensive for expats abroad i immediately became suspicious if this was some sort of thing the government is pushing on banks.

I could find no other information on the ANZ website nor online.

If you are aware of the "non resident for tax" issues the Aus gov is constantly messing with to exploit us expats you will be aware of the possible implications of something like this, especially if you have no fixed address in both countries!

So if anyone can ease my mind and advise what this is all about it would be much appreciated.

In the worst case, if they are expecting copies of lease, utilities bills (in Thailand) ect...

In other words another nightmare we must contend with..

In the case you live at a partners house or any such other arrangements..

So, If in doubt, i urge you to shift some money out very soon (if your only source of transfer is ANZ) 

so you dont get caught by suprise! 

15 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

Have you thought about transferwise? its a domestic transfer with better rates than a au bank.  BKB shows it as a international transfer.

Yes thanks BigT I have noticed others talking about it, but im a bit lazy when it comes to setting these types of things up.

Good to know there is that option though.

thanks for the tip.

to tingtong: 

I dont get your point.

what has having a big night got to do with it?

BTW, I dont think anyone in Australia drinks Fosters any more. They certainly dont over here.

you are a bit behind the times it would seem!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pookondee said:

Yes thanks BigT I have noticed others talking about it, but im a bit lazy when it comes to setting these types of things up.

Good to know there is that option though.

thanks for the tip.

to tingtong: 

I dont get your point.

what has having a big night got to do with it?

BTW, I dont think anyone in Australia drinks Fosters any more. They certainly dont over here.

you are a bit behind the times it would seem!

Makes sense about the Fosters. it taste very poor even many years ago.

About the bank, its unlikely they would want proof of the recipient address if they are just the one to recieve the money.

that would make no sense at all and only complicate all transactions if people had a problem getting their money someone sent them.

They probably just want to verify more security by having an address entered when doing each transfer?

not sure what is the big worry?

Edited by tingtongtourist

7 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Makes sense about the Fosters. it taste very poor even many years ago.

About the bank, its unlikely they would want proof of the recipient address if they are just the one to recieve the money.

that would make no sense at all and only complicate all transactions if people had a problem getting their money someone sent them.

They probably just want to verify more security by having an address entered when doing each transfer?

not sure what is the big worry?

Its not really whos address thats the issue.

The big worry is if they phsically want proof of address, for instance if you need to front up to a bank or post office with a lease or utility bill as proof.

This is exactly the MO they employ in forcing expats off medicare when they have been living extended time overseas..

Apart from physically handing in proof in Australia (which is obviously impossible)

what when you have no home in Australia and the lease where you stay in Thailand is not in your name?

therfor no proof.

can you see the problem now?

they wont allow a transfer so essentially they have cut you off from your funds!

Its Evil shit, you may not know how the Aus government operates, but i would not put it past them at all